Match Thread: July 10, 2019 - Cavalry FC v Vancouver Whitecaps - 3rd Round, 1st Leg

I suspect it will likely be a defensive encounter, with weather dampening the overall play, but who knows?

Some are saying it will be a reality check, implying that the level of CPL will be put in clear view, but the Caps have been wholly unimpressive this year so maybe it will be them with their true position most under the microscope.

Surely VWFC are the club with the most to lose. Hard for me to not (perhaps quietly) root for the underdog.

3 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Going to be a fun 2nd I'm sure, least if the day continues to hold true.  Cavalvry organized, no one should be surprised by that at this point in 2019, do make themselves hard to beat.

Not exactly a cow pasture that pitch, but close.

Cavalry looks organized.  You are right.  Vancouver, although winning in possession, look as sloppy as the pitch.

42 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Not exactly a cow pasture that pitch, but close.

Wrong animal, right sentiment.

This crowd is great, but the match is really lacking compared to the earlier two. The Whitecaps are dire.

Wow.  Two quick thoughts.

1st.  Don't know what the 'Caps travel plans are but they need to get the Hell out of Calgary before the cops find out that they've been stealing.

2nd.  I don't watch MLS, less and less every passing year, tonight is literally the first day I've watched an entire match by an MLS team and I have to ask, is that typical of the 'Caps?  Cause if it is, oh boy. 

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

Wow.  Two quick thoughts.

1st.  Don't know what the 'Caps travel plans are but they need to get the Hell out of Calgary before the cops find out that they've been stealing.

2nd.  I don't watch MLS, less and less every passing year, tonight is literally the first day I've watched an entire match by an MLS team and I have to ask, is that typical of the 'Caps?  Cause if it is, oh boy. 

The Caps are struggling badly in MLS.  They’re close to the bottom of the Western Conference and got hammered 6-1 by LAFC last Saturday.  Alot of fans are angry that the owners aren’t willing to spend more to keep up with the new MLS teams and owners.  This result against Calgary doesn’t surprise me as they are very disjointed with no creative midfield player to make something for them.  TFC to me are the team to beat in the Voyageurs Cup.  

So proud of the Cavs. Took on the Caps A squad and were the better team. Huge save at the 90th minute by the Caps. Cavs also should have been awarded a penalty kick. Oh we’ll beat them in their own home in a couple weeks.

^ That missed penalty is criminal. 

That play will come up during the officiating reviews (I assume they do that regularily in CPL, just like everywhere else).  Small consolation in that the event might be reviewed by disciplinary committee, a retroactive caution adjudged, guess we'll see. 

Yeah didn’t know it was actually onside. The reffing was atrocious. I am pretty sure a handball in the whitecaps box was also missed. Admittedly it would have been hard to see tho.

Edited by Reign
Typo