Match Thread: July 10, 2019 - York9 FC v Montreal Impact - 3rd Round, 1st Leg

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Wonder if @Ozzie_the_parrot will have some kind of over the top analysis regarding the empty seats

You've publicly announced that you blocked him, yet you're still tagging him and egging him on? And when he inevitably responds you'll surely be leading the whining about him.

How about we just stick to the actual topic at hand instead of baiting other posters into another pointless argument?

On topic: The crowd looked great, and York 9 was up for it. Unfortunately two bad mental errors undid them, but that's typical when a lower-level team faces a higher level one (yes they are both technically Div. 1).

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I believe they announced attendance at the stadium as something like 4926. My guess sitting in the stands was that it was somewhere over 4000, so that seems about right.

5252 according to soccerway:

https://www.soccerway.com/matches/2019/07/11/canada/canadian-championship/york-9/montreal-impacts/2984614/

The east side bleachers look very busy on the highlights so that's possible for this game. Shows there is no lack of awareness that the team exists or issues related to heavy traffic on weeknights. A lot of people in the GTA simply needed an MLS team to be involved to summon up the motivation level required to show up.

I was heartened to see the fans out, and the supporter section really well stocked with nice banners. York9 colours are great, better than that shirt even. 

If you can get a stadium together without those garbage sight lines, so far away and really tinny looking, you would for sure raise your game-day experience and crowds with it.

I know this is totally unfair, but watching Ingham on those goals, both of them, makes me wonder what the betting lines were like today. Hate myself for saying this.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://www.soccerway.com/matches/2019/07/11/canada/canadian-championship/york-9/montreal-impacts/2984614/

The east side bleachers look very busy on the highlights so that's possible for this game. Shows there is no lack of awareness that the team exists or issues related to heavy traffic on weeknights. A lot of people in the GTA simply needed an MLS team to be involved to summon up the motivation level required to show up.

Because they never get to see Impact at TFC. 

Because your GTA soccer fans who are not TFC fans are really very knowledgeable about the Impact.

Because Impact is the motivational factor a fan in north Toronto really needs.

Because you never stop with these idiotic posts. 

8 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

The highlight of our season so far. When Gattas scored the go-ahead goal, and the Y9 supporters section lost its mind.

https://twitter.com/canplcentral/status/1149147338600005632?s=21

I gotta say, I love that the Impact are in MLS and competing at a higher level, but I really miss those nights when we used to play against opposition from divisions higher than us (Voyageurs Cup or CCL). Those nights had a feeling to them that you just cant replicate. For a minute, looking at this clip, I even miss Saputo stadium 1.0.   

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I don't know where they got that figure from though as I'm pretty sure they announced 4900 and change at the stadium with about 15 minutes go, though I suppose it's not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

I think what you say regarding the MLS team effect is true but that's mainly for the more dedicated out-and-out soccer fan or those involved in the grassroots game (particularly in Vaughan - there was a definite Vaughan flavour and feel to the crowd). There is still a lack of awareness issue overall for the team with the more casual sports or soccer fan in this area - I say this because not a week seems to go by when I ask someone if they are aware that York Region has a team and they respond that they didn't even know there was a Canadian league, never mind a team in York.

They should definitely keep the $15 price, at least for the stands I was sitting in. I deliberately sat in the back row and the sightlines are still poor being so far from the field so I don't think you can charge high prices for that type of game experience and then also provide a somewhat congested game to watch because of the small field. That said, the whole game last night felt more professional than "bush league" in comparison to the old A-league games that I saw at the old York soccer stadium (or Centennial for that matter) in the Toronto Lynx days. Despite the gaffes at the back I think a lot of fans went home happy with what they saw and perhaps more will come back for the regular season games.

9 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

The highlight of our season so far. When Gattas scored the go-ahead goal, and the Y9 supporters section lost its mind.

https://twitter.com/canplcentral/status/1149147338600005632?s=21

One word about the supporters chants - an FYI that when the supporters chanted "Fuck Montreal" it sounded like "Fun Montreal" where I was sitting which I suppose made it more palatable for the 7 or 8 kids that were sitting in front of me with their parents but probably didn't have the desired effect that Generation 9 was looking for.

I mentioned the Lynx/National team reunion in the stands, here's a pick of Carl Fletcher, Paul Stalteri and Marco Reda (back to the camera, sunglasses on top of his head). Later on they were joined by Joe Mattachione & Jason Bent (and I also recognized for Lynx coach Peter Pinizotto). A friend of mine said he heard Pozniak was in the building, but I didn't see anyone that seemed to look like him, although I did see a guy that was a dead ringer for ex-Leafs goon Colton Orr but somehow I don't think it was him.

IMG_0069 (2).JPG

The crowd yesterday most definitely felt like 5,000. Nearly broke my thumb shaking the metal stands lol, still on a CPL high from yesterday.

Last night was a perfect combination of Montreal coming into town, which pretty much all Y9/TFC/GTA soccer fans are in unison united against lol, and the $9 tickets. We all know the prices were set too high for season seats for the regular season, and we can all see how many fans will come out when the tickets are priced at the level it should be. And Mtl of course lol.

I'm 100% sure that Ben Z, the Y9 VP who's in charge of ticket pricing structure, got that message yesterday for sure. Also saw both PB and Clanchalan in the stands overlooking the crowd as well. Great night.

11 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

For @Ansem since you wanted to know if Ozzie would say something. 

July 10, 2019  CPL vs MLS Voyageurs Cup post game press conference of York 9 FC vs Montreal Impact match on my site right now.
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york123.htm   

Impact's head coach Remi Garde and Samuel Piette.  York 9's Jimmy Brennan and Ryan Telfer. 

more pictures, rosters, play by play, opinion added in next day or two.