narduch

Match Thread: July 10, 2019 - HFX Wanderers v Ottawa Fury - 3rd Round, 1st Leg

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

From on the ground here in Halifax there is a massive buzz around this game tonight. There is almost a feeling this could be the most important home game we play this season. 

I would not be surprised to see a near capacity if not a capacity crowd for tonight's game.

I was wondering what attendance will be like. It would be great if the local fans got caught up in the V Cup excitement early on.  

From what I saw on the website, it looks like a crowd of about 4,000-4,500, but hopefully a good walk up crowd.

Looking forward to seeing how we match up with them.

40 minutes ago, Terry_Canuck said:

From what I saw on the website, it looks like a crowd of about 4,000-4,500, but hopefully a good walk up crowd.

Looking forward to seeing how we match up with them.

Id say its gonna be jammed like a Saturday - even had a few delivery drivers talking about it today. Ok time to chug this beer and run for the bus. Go Wanderers!

Posted (edited)

All very scrappy so far. But Ottawa clearly the better side and that was a cracking opener after a shocking give away by HFX on the attempted clearance (and not by any means their first shocking defensive give away either!).

Edited by Lofty

Just as I was thinking Ottawa are going to win this thing by 3 or 4 goals, HFX get a bit of a dubious pen and it is 1-1. But Ottawa reply with another lovely goal and are really hitting their stride now. Much better on the ball and frankly I can only see one winner ATM.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The Fury’s second goal was disappointing.  Can’t let a guy dance through 3 defenders with the same move each time. 

Nice passing and movement off the ball by Ottawa though, and another tidy finish. Very pretty goal.

But yeah, definitely poor defending too.

Schaale having bad day..what will it take to not put langwa at lb..penalty looked like garcia was already going down but gotta watch it again but that gets called often anyways

Fun match to watch!

Both teams playing better this half. Ottawa controlling play but HFX looking dangerous.

Bogus offside denies HFX equalizer but a nice little run in the area and HFX find a way.

And just like that it is 3-2 Ottawa. Where are they finding all these beautiful finishes? I wonder what the odds would have been on a 4-4 draw!

9 minutes ago, Big_M said:

apparently barnathan makes a you stink gesture to perea who gets angry and both get a yellow

Back pedalling furiously as he did it! To be fair Perea was in his face first but you can't run away like that or you look like a pussy.

Solid 3-2 win for Ottawa. They were clearly the better side on the day. Hard to see HFX turning this thing around in the 2nd leg but in football you never know.

Halifax was strong in attack during the second half, but a few bounces didn't go their way. ie. the penalty that should've been called, and the offside that shouldn't have been called

Good win for the Fury.  

But I keep on saying that HFX Wanderers is the model CPL club.  Great support, excellent facility, centrally located and great entertainment.  What’s there not to like.