The Value of a Soccer Trophy

Binky

Check out the following:

FA Cup given top Antiques Roadshow value of more than £1m

BBC Sport's Gabby Logan and Antiques Roadshow expert Alastair Dickenson with the FA Cup trophy Image captionAntiques Roadshow expert Alastair Dickenson spoke to BBC Sport's Gabby Logan about the trophy's history on Sunday's programme

The longest-serving FA Cup trophy has been valued at more than £1m on the Antiques Roadshow - making it the BBC show's most valuable item.

The cup was presented to winning teams from 1911 until it was replaced in 1992 by a new trophy of the same design.

It was valued in an edition of the long-running programme recorded in Harrogate and shown on Sunday evening.

The show's previous highest valuation was £1m for a model of Sir Antony Gormley's Angel of the North sculpture.

The cup valued by Antiques Roadshow expert Alastair Dickenson at Harrogate's Royal Hall was the third version of the FA Cup to be used.

It was made by Bradford firm Fattorini and Sons and - by coincidence - the first team to be presented with it were Bradford City, who beat Newcastle United in the 1911 final, after a replay.

The FA Cup trophy on display at the 1911 finalImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Image captionThe trophy was first presented at the 1911 FA Cup final replay between Bradford City and Newcastle at Old Trafford

The history of the FA Cup trophies

Manchester City with the FA Cup in 1904Image copyrightPA Image captionManchester City won the FA Cup - in its second trophy incarnation - in 1904

The original FA Cup trophy, presented at the first final in 1872, was stolen from a Birmingham shoe shop window in 1895 while being displayed when Aston Villa were holders.

The second was replaced by the Football Association (FA) after 1909 winners Manchester United made a replica and the FA realised it did not own the copyright. The obsolete cup was given to Lord Kinnaird, who had been president of the FA for more than two decades.

It was bought at auction for £478,000 in 2005 by David Gold, then chairman of Birmingham City and now of West Ham United, and presented for permanent display at the National Football Museum, now based in Manchester.

The replacement - the trophy featured on the Antiques Roadshow - was used for every final from 1911 until 1991 when it was decided it was too fragile to continue being used.

It was succeeded by an exact replica but this was only used for two decades before also being retired because of wear and tear. In 2014 another version was made by the company Thomas Lyte, the FA's silversmiths and official restorers of silverware to Buckingham Palace.

Chelsea team with the FA Cup in the bath after the 1970 final replayImage copyrightPA Image captionThe trophy went through a lot across eight decades in active use - including joining Chelsea's winning team in the bath after the 1970 final Arsenal with the FA Cup after the 2015 finalImage copyrightPA Image captionThe cup presented to current holders Arsenal at last year's final is the fifth version
King George VI presents the FA Cup to Derby County captain Jack Nicholas at Wembley in 1946Image copyrightPA Image captionThe £1m cup was presented to every winning team from 1911 to 1991, including Derby County, the first post-war winners in 1946

Despite its history, Mr Dickenson claimed the trophy's design suggested it had not been created to be a football trophy, and was more likely designed as a "wine or champagne cooler".

"Now I may be banned from every football ground in the country for saying this, but I suspect that this may have been an off-the-shelf piece, that it may not be specifically made," he said.

"I think that because it has all these grapes and vines on it, it might have been a wine or champagne cooler.

"The hardest thing of all about this is putting a value on it. This is, alongside the Wimbledon trophy, the most famous cup in the country.

"I think, quite comfortably, this has got to be worth well over £1million [$1.4m] - the highest ever value I have given on Antiques Roadshow."

Bobby Moore and his West Ham team-mates with the FA Cup in 1964Image copyrightPA Image captionFamous hands to have been on the valuable trophy include those of England legend Bobby Moore, who captained West Ham to FA Cup glory in 1964

If the FA Cup is worth £1,000,000 (GBP), the equivalent of $1,638,780 (CAD), then what would the Grand Challenge Cup of the Nanaimo Football Association - 1891, the equivalent of the British Columbia FA Cup, be worth? 10%? 15? 20?

For the one or two on this board who are unfamiliar with the history of the Grand Challenge Cup of the Nanaimo Football Association - 1891, check out the following:

5 hours ago, ted said:

Oh I get it now! "Binky" is Robert's new handle for the new forum.

Anyway, please keep doing more posts like this one Robert!

See the "I'm back" thread on the Men's National Teams forum. It took me a while to find the new board. When I did, I was unable to log in using Robert, hence Binky was born.

Anyhow, get back to "the Grand Challenge Cup of the Nanaimo Football Association - 1891," of course placing an estimated value of 10% of what the English FA Cup is valued at might be a little rich, but 1% or 2% does not seem like "I've fallen off the wagon crazy," does it? The FA Cup on the Antiques Roadshow dates back to 1911, which historically makes "the Grand Challenge Cup of the Nanaimo Football Association - 1891" twenty years older. I appreciated the fact that it represented a provincial association, rather than a national association, and the far more illustrious clubs have won the FA Cup. Even so, the Grand Challenge Cup of the Nanaimo Football Association - 1891 has had a rich history, had a book written about, and was fully restored to its former glory in 2015.

Possibly one way to add a few more illustrious club names to "the Grand Challenge Cup of the Nanaimo Football Association - 1891" would be to have it put up for an annual competition between Pacific FC and Whitecaps FC and have it put on display somewhere like the Royal Museum or the BC Sports Hall of Fame during the year? Who knows, that might raise the trophy's estimated value to 3% or 4%?

Now let's see, 3% of $1,638,780 (CAD) equals...  😲  OMG!!!

29 minutes ago, Binky said:

See the "I'm back" thread on the Men's National Teams forum. It took me a while to find the new board. When I did, I was unable to log in using Robert, hence Binky was born.

I still have no idea why this is the case.  I did look. 

I'll look again today. 

Here's another example of what a soccer trophy is worth:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/brazil/story/2888976/brazil-legend-peles-world-cup-trophy-sold-for-395000-pounds-at-auction

Brazil legend Pele's World Cup trophy sold for £395,000 at auction

Jun 9, 2016

Pele lifted three World Cups, including the 1970 edition. AP Photo

A special replica of the Jules Rimet trophy has fetched £395,000 ($571,367) at an auction of Brazil legend Pele's personal memorabilia.

Pele was given the one-off trophy after Brazil's 1970 World Cup glory and it was purchased at an auction in London by

"We are very pleased with the result of the Cup," Darren Julien, chief executive of Julien's Auctions told AFP.

The three-day auction, which concludes on Thursday and features more than 2,000 items of personal memorabilia, has also seen two of Pele's three World Cup winner's medals sold.

The forward's medal from his first World Cup victory in 1958 was sold for £200,000 ($289,350), while the other from his 1962 World Cup glory fetched £140,000 ($202,538).

On Tuesday, the first day of the auction, the boots Pele wore the classic football film "Escape to Victory" sold for £8,025 ($11,610).

The 75-year-old said in March that some of the proceeds will be donated to the Puerto Principe children's hospital in Curitiba.

Pele is considered to be one of the greatest ever footballers, having scored 1,281 goals in 1,363 matches, featuring 91 times for Brazil while also representing Santos and the New York Cosmos at club level.