Match Thread: July 6, 2019 - Pacific FC v Cavalry FC

6 hours ago, ted said:

Yup. This has been the biggest source of friction between the old-School Lake Side Buoys and the new kids TOP. They insist that the ONLY way to be soccer supporters is to have noise/drumming/singing at all times as is the "tradition" in Latin America where they are from.

It took a lot of convincing to get them to at least stop and change the chant/song when the opposition scores. And at least now we can occasionally work in "reactions" to things that happen on the pitch.

It is getting better, but to be fair, I have been going to games since 1995 and Victoria fans, as I suspect are most Canadians, are content to be silent for most of the game. Passive spectating is something taught from birth in this country.

I did not join you as I am getting old, and my peers have health issues impeding standing. Next time I will come and join in and be happy to. I think that the section looked good, was colourful (also incorporating pride), and was the only bit of fun in the stadium, which was really nicely set up, and attractive, but had real dull fans. Even the supposed family/kids section was duller than normal, from what I have seen.

I think it is fine if you are in the supporter group, drumming or whatever. From the outside drumming is okay in an abstract way, but chanting is more engaged. When a group of your section did a chant against the ref, a classic one, it was heard--or at least I identified it. But it still was made over top of the drumming, so it was less effective. I have a similar problem with our supporter group at Barcelona for futsal -they just chant and drum endlessly and blindly and do not allow the crowd to participate in the texture of the game. So that in effect they do little to add to home advantage, I know many people who are otherwise fully in favour that specifically criticise them for not paying attention to anything going on. I don't think your PFC is that extreme, by any means, and I was glad to hear you, but there is a question there, that is all. 

On 7/12/2019 at 8:09 AM, ted said:

It has been interesting that more and more "families" have been moving to the Supporters End. Apparently kids like to make noise and be boisterous. ;)

Oh god I go to certain music festivals with a kids section, and it is only for obnoxious parents who think their children are idiots--and who actually hate the music at the main festival and just go to parade their offspring around as cool trophies. 

I used to take my kid and nieces and nephews to the Southside at Swangard, in the harder core days, and they all came away loving it. The idea that children need to be protected from drinkers, or friendly revellers, is just stupid puritanical Canadian BS.

That massive stand at the end, in lovely wood, terribly set back from the action, for "families". Who the hell came up with such nonsense? That should be the Pacific FC "Kop", it is steep and will resonate with the roof--and let children run around and not have to sit on the end where you are now.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:50 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

That massive stand at the end, in lovely wood, terribly set back from the action, for "families". Who the hell came up with such nonsense? That should be the Pacific FC "Kop", it is steep and will resonate with the roof--and let children run around and not have to sit on the end where you are now.

Guess what? It will be the Supporters stand in 2020 at the latest. Confirmed by both Rob and Brad. :)

There is even talk of mounting pulleys and ropes to the roof for tifo. 

Edited by ted

3 hours ago, ted said:

Guess what? It will be the Supporters stand in 2020 at the latest. Confirmed by both Rob and Brad. :)

There is even talk of mounting pulleys and ropes to the roof for tifo. 

Well there you go, brilliant. Now all you have to ask for are trapezes and trampolines--and protective netting!!

Hey Ted, a question: that stand seems a bit set back from the goal (too much even). Are they planning to shift the entire field down that way, or lengthen the functional pitch 5-10 metres? Another reason for asking is that the main stand sort of runs past the endline on that end, so it looks like a proper alignment would shift the entire field that way anyways.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey Ted, a question: that stand seems a bit set back from the goal (too much even). Are they planning to shift the entire field down that way, or lengthen the functional pitch 5-10 metres? Another reason for asking is that the main stand sort of runs past the endline on that end, so it looks like a proper alignment would shift the entire field that way anyways.

I have wondered but never thought to ask when I had the chance.

I sure hope so. It feels like a short field.