Match Thread: July 6, 2019 - Pacific FC v Cavalry FC

Match preview

I never caught why Chung wasn't in the line-up last game but I imagine he'll be starting again. No Gonzalez means Verhoeven slides back into midfield. Otherwise I don't think Pacific will look any different. 

I imagine Cavalry will have a slightly different look due to suspensions and the Whitecaps game.

5 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

Match preview

I never caught why Chung wasn't in the line-up last game but I imagine he'll be starting again. No Gonzalez means Verhoeven slides back into midfield. Otherwise I don't think Pacific will look any different. 

I imagine Cavalry will have a slightly different look due to suspensions and the Whitecaps game.

Probably a similar look. Cavs played their B team last week, and with the caps on Wednesday that shouldn’t change.

The fact Pacific are starting two younger holding mids at CB over McCurdy certainly says a lot. Looks like a pretty rough injury situation, on top of all of their previous injuries there's no Gonzalez, no Chung and no MacNaughton.

The transfer window opens Monday, I assume they'll be looking to bring in some reinforcements quickly.

2 hours ago, Zem said:

The transfer window opens Monday, I assume they'll be looking to bring in some reinforcements quickly.

I'm curious if they will. The entire starting backline is out injured for an unknown amount of time. If a couple players return in the next couple weeks things look better.

9 hours ago, narduch said:

Pacific with only 4 subs

Maybe at the end of a long road trip out east this might be acceptable, but not at home. Utterly ridiculous. Sign a local university graduate, sign a parrot, anything, anyone.

6 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

I'm curious if they will. The entire starting backline is out injured for an unknown amount of time. If a couple players return in the next couple weeks things look better.

I heard a rumour at the game today that they have nothing left to spend to fill the last two empty spots. We still don't know what the cap is but if this pans out, it will be disappointing.

55 minutes ago, Reign said:

They need to raise the cap and roster slots next season. 

Think the roster size will be less of an issue in year two because far fewer players will be signing their first fully pro contract. Pacific's big problem appears to have been overspending on three past their prime former CMNT players, who haven't been able to contribute to the extent that was anticipated. The problem they have is that they probably have multiyear deals that might be guaranteed.

8 hours ago, ted said:

I heard a rumour at the game today that they have nothing left to spend to fill the last two empty spots. We still don't know what the cap is but if this pans out, it will be disappointing.

Do we know if Verhoven is staying with the team after the summer?

Some of the kids that have been carrying this team are probably making peanuts right now. We're in real trouble when their contracts are up. It's frustrating that a group that seems so willing to invest in the sport can't even sign a full squad due to salary restrictions. 

Edited by Aird25

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the roster size will be less of an issue in year two because far fewer players will be signing their first fully pro contract. Pacific's big problem appears to have been overspending on three past their prime former CMNT players, who haven't been able to contribute to the extent that was anticipated. The problem they have is that they probably have multiyear deals that might be guaranteed.

Fair enough, but the squad size needs to be expanded. Frankly, I don't see a need to limit the size and clubs should be able to sign 10 day or other short-term duration contracts like the NBA. Bring up the Highlanders to sit on the bench $100 + an appearance fee if needed.

I strongly disagree with allowing short term/injury contracts. That is a major advantage for Ontario based teams. They will just be able to pluck up the best L10 players, while most other teams won’t have even close to that pool to pick from in that opportunity.

There really doesn’t even have to be a maximum roster slots. If a team wants 32 players signed and they can fit them in the cap they should be allowed.

1 hour ago, Reign said:

I strongly disagree with allowing short term/injury contracts. That is a major advantage for Ontario based teams. They will just be able to pluck up the best L10 players, while most other teams won’t have even close to that pool to pick from in that opportunity.

There really doesn’t even have to be a maximum roster slots. If a team wants 32 players signed and they can fit them in the cap they should be allowed.

Pacific have two League 2 clubs near by, Calgary have 1, Winnipeg have 1. Perhaps you could formalize an agreement with one feeder/relief club per CPL club. HFX would have to get creative but that's exactly what we need in Canadian soccer right now.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone
Spelling

1 hour ago, Reign said:

I strongly disagree with allowing short term/injury contracts. That is a major advantage for Ontario based teams. They will just be able to pluck up the best L10 players, while most other teams won’t have even close to that pool to pick from in that opportunity...

I suspect that rationale explains why it is only goalkeepers getting called up so far, but it would be good in future seasons if each team had a U-20 side they could call up from playing in top provincial or district leagues. If there was an age restriction it would limit the advantage the Golden Horseshoe teams might otherwise enjoy. Edmonton's recent run of good form has been a promising sign for what teams elsewhere could do eventually by recruiting locally through an established academy setup.

1 hour ago, Reign said:

If the alternative is being unable to field a complete roster, I’d prefer dealing with that potential competitive advantage. These would be emergency call ups in unusual circumstances. I wouldn’t expect them to have an impact on most games.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

If the alternative is being unable to field a complete roster, I’d prefer dealing with that potential competitive advantage. These would be emergency call ups in unusual circumstances. I wouldn’t expect them to have an impact on most games.

No the alternative is expanding roster slots lol. 

This was an entertaining game, in the end. It started with Pacific being timid and unsure, Cavalry not really pushing. And the age and experience showing with the first two Cavalry goals, even though PFC did have a few chances to score first half as well. 

2nd half was more clearly Pacific, and the goal was well taken, Issey finally doing something to make a difference. But Cavalry came back immediately to pull it back to a two-goal game, pretty well killing it. 

Considering PFC are playing kids, they do very well. You can see the maturity difference with Cavalry players, they have more depth and experience and they can beat this version of PFC without really even having a strong game. 

I sat with friends, not in supporter section but close, who were lively with multiple drumming: more drums than chants, for me I prefer it reverse. Drums drown out crowd ambience, in the end what gets a team feeling they are supported are human voices, chanting and singing, not instruments. Anyone can join in on a simple chant, you add to the overall support that way. Also, we need to hear the fans jeering bad calls, applauding goals, responding to the flow of the game, good plays; but if you cannot be heard over the din, you will shut up. So not sure about the glut of drumming, sorry to say. 

Maybe a dozen Cavalry supporters made noise for their goals. In general, however, the atmosphere is very dull and uninspired, the stands were not full on a perfect day, and the crowd was not really into it. No idea how there could be so few kids there, such a thin cross-section of fans, no youth clubs or summer camps--gotta do better.

Very good game day amenities, support, staff and organisation on the part of Pacific. 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:01 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Drums drown out crowd ambience, in the end what gets a team feeling they are supported are human voices, chanting and singing, not instruments. Anyone can join in on a simple chant, you add to the overall support that way. Also, we need to hear the fans jeering bad calls, applauding goals, responding to the flow of the game, good plays; but if you cannot be heard over the din, you will shut up. So not sure about the glut of drumming, sorry to say.

Yup. This has been the biggest source of friction between the old-School Lake Side Buoys and the new kids TOP. They insist that the ONLY way to be soccer supporters is to have noise/drumming/singing at all times as is the "tradition" in Latin America where they are from.

It took a lot of convincing to get them to at least stop and change the chant/song when the opposition scores. And at least now we can occasionally work in "reactions" to things that happen on the pitch.

It is getting better, but to be fair, I have been going to games since 1995 and Victoria fans, as I suspect are most Canadians, are content to be silent for most of the game. Passive spectating is something taught from birth in this country.