Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Fall Season - 2019

The problem with this talk of CC byes based on standing in CPL is the implication that Vancouver gets to stay where they are. What have they done to deserve entering into the tournament in the 3rd round? As far as I can tell, all they have done is exist in MLS. They lost to a CPL team, so what has Vancouver or MLS as a whole done to deserve the right to start later?

I loved watching the Canadian Championship this year, but the tournament really needs to flatten a LOT.

Teams by rounds won:
3 - Montreal, Cavalry
2 - York 9, HFX Wanderers
1 - Ottawa, TFC
0 - Vaughan, Blainville, Pacific, Valour, Edmonton, Forge, Vancouver

The data above doesn't exactly scream to me that Montreal should start in the 4th round, Ottawa, Vancouver, and Toronto should start in the 3rd round, Cavalry, Forge, and say Edmonton should start in the 2nd round, with York 9, HFX Wanderers, Masters (L1O), Blainville, Pacific, and Valour should start in round 1.

And yes, I wrote this all without using the qualifying round naming the tournament uses, because I think it's clearer this way.

I think the idea of doing the ten team round 1 is the best way, with round 2 having the two finalists from the previous year plus the team which performed better in a losing effort (Wins, draws, away goals). That would mean Impact, TFC & Cavalry get a bye into round 2. 

Assuming no new entrants, the 10 team round 1 followed by a proper 8 team quarterfinals is the way to go. I think even if the 3 byes go only to the MLS teams this is still a better and fairer system than any of the other possible kludges used to differentiate non-champion CPL sides.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Assuming no new entrants, the 10 team round 1 followed by a proper 8 team quarterfinals is the way to go. I think even if the 3 byes go only to the MLS teams this is still a better and fairer system than any of the other possible kludges used to differentiate non-champion CPL sides.

Yes.

It should definitely be a 10-team first round (L1O + PLSQ + 7 CanPL + OF), followed by quarterfinals (5 winners + 3 MLS), semi-finals, and final. This gives a max of 8 matches for CanPL teams, or lower, and max 6 matches for the MLS teams.

The only question should be whether they will use seedings in the first 2 rounds.

I don't like strict seedings but wouldn't be opposed to a Pot A/Pot B approach with the bottom CPL sides plus L10 and PLSQ in one pot and the top CPL sides in the other. The question if you do this is where to place the Fury.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't like strict seedings but wouldn't be opposed to a Pot A/Pot B approach with the bottom CPL sides plus L10 and PLSQ in one pot and the top CPL sides in the other. The question if you do this is where to place the Fury.

Since nobody likes them, OF go in as a Pot B team in the first round, along with the L1O and PLSQ winners and the 2 CanPL bottom sides. Obviously. 😁