Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Fall Season - 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

What's this even based on? The goalkeeper for the second to last placed team is number 3, but none of the leading goalscorers are in the top 5. Seems crazy

Petrasso is one of the leading goal scorers and he is in second place right now.

I don't think anybody is claiming this is the final word. But the winner does get a new VW Jetta so it is worth playing.

During the 2019 season, CPL Club players will compete for a chance to win a 2019 Volkswagen Jetta GLI. Players will be given a score from 1-100 for their contribution to the match via data and statistics from every match that will result in a final ranking at the end of the season and ultimately result in a Canadian Premier League Club player being crowned the “Premier Performer”.

https://canpl.ca/premier-performer/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 12:36 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not sure who decides, if it's OneSoccer journalists or not. But the two York9 players is silly. Or just the bias that it's their local team and they know the players and rate them higher.

No journalist bias for this. As Lofty linked, it's based on stats and a formula. It's analogous to the Audi Player Index for MLS for people familiar with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kent said:

No journalist bias for this. As Lofty linked, it's based on stats and a formula. It's analogous to the Audi Player Index for MLS for people familiar with that.

I don't believe that, sorry. And if my disbelief is mistaken, then I just have to say that the formula is obviously garbage. 

Ineffective higher profile Petrasso rates higher than low flying but very effective Campbell?

And two players from York9? Time to adjust the formula.

@Lofty Petrasso is third now in goals, and then how many have been penalties?

 

 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kent said:

No journalist bias for this. As Lofty linked, it's based on stats and a formula. It's analogous to the Audi Player Index for MLS for people familiar with that.

It's also just a bit of fun and a talking point. It's also not my system -- I know nothing about it other than what is in the articles!

People seem to be getting worked up over nothing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lofty said:

It's also just a bit of fun and a talking point. It's also not my system -- I know nothing about it other than what is in the articles!

People seem to be getting worked up over nothing!

Actually, I am just bothered by the biased system, it makes no sense at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't believe that, sorry. And if my disbelief is mistaken, then I just have to say that the formula is obviously garbage. 

Ineffective higher profile Petrasso rates higher than low flying but very effective Campbell?

And two players from York9? Time to adjust the formula.

@Lofty Petrasso is third now in goals, and then how many have been penalties?

 

 

I'm sure the formula is garbage, but Petrasso hasn't been ineffective. He's been the team's best and most important player, a team that is more or less equal by every measure to Campbell's Pacific. The biggest knock against Petrasso was that he got hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'm sure the formula is garbage, but Petrasso hasn't been ineffective. He's been the team's best and most important player, a team that is more or less equal by every measure to Campbell's Pacific. The biggest knock against Petrasso was that he got hurt.

The effective players on the teams that are leading the league have to be the league's best players. As I see it.

Which is why the choice of Carducci seems right to me, he is obviously the MVP so far this season. I realise that with Forge the effectiveness is shared around, as it is with all teams that win, but still: Petrasso is a bit of flash on a generally bad team, which I don't rate, sorry. And I also appreciate that Campbell just seems to be invisible for long stretches of games, then nabs a goal (Ongaro is doing this a bit too). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The effective players on the teams that are leading the league have to be the league's best players. As I see it.

Which is why the choice of Carducci seems right to me, he is obviously the MVP so far this season. I realise that with Forge the effectiveness is shared around, as it is with all teams that win, but still: Petrasso is a bit of flash on a generally bad team, which I don't rate, sorry. And I also appreciate that Campbell just seems to be invisible for long stretches of games, then nabs a goal (Ongaro is doing this a bit too). 

I'm pretty sure the formula won't take into account the strength of the team that the players are on. In fact, wouldn't that be a bias? If Messi goes to a garbage team and they are bottom half of the league, does that mean Messi is now garbage? To get points no doubt there is more to it than goals and assists. Those will win big points no doubt, but it will also be about things like passing percentage, tackles, successful dribbles, etc.

Perhaps the players from lesser teams benefit by being tasked with taking on more of the workload by their team than players on Cavalry or Forge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm pretty sure the formula won't take into account the strength of the team that the players are on. In fact, wouldn't that be a bias? If Messi goes to a garbage team and they are bottom half of the league, does that mean Messi is now garbage?

The strength of the team is inherently important to individual players performances. As a purely attacking player, if Messi were to go to a weaker team, he would likely have less influence on the game than he does with Barca. Similarly, if a keeper were to go to a dominant team, they would likely be required to influence the game less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EPL doing something similar to CPL "Premier Performer":

How are the Sky Sports Power Rankings calculated?

Each week we list the top-performing players in the Premier League and the Championship. These Power Rankings are based on points awarded to players for 35 different statistics - from goals and assists, to blocks and tackles.

...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/19024/9994064/how-are-the-sky-sports-power-rankings-calculated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 12:03 AM, jonovision said:

I'm sure the formula is garbage, but Petrasso hasn't been ineffective. He's been the team's best and most important player, a team that is more or less equal by every measure to Campbell's Pacific. The biggest knock against Petrasso was that he got hurt.

So which Cavalry player the other day was worse than Petrasso? And do you still think your definition of ineffective is right?

I know I am being opportunist, but having Petrasso in the mix for what is an MVP award, essentially, is garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 3:24 AM, Lofty said:

I enjoyed this rather creative article. Most of the comparisons were very perceptive and boy did he nail it for Valour!

If you haven’t decided yet which CPL team to support, I offer some comparisons we can draw between the seven CPL teams and seven English Premier League sides.

These are not reaches. This is serious journalism, folks.

https://canpl.ca/article/sandor-which-epl-club-does-each-cpl-team-resemble

Being from near Edmonton, this was a distressing read.  The author, can as we sing:

stick the blue flag ...
from Stamford Bridge to Upton Park,
we'll stick the blue flag ....

More seriously fun article. We just need more teams in the CPL.  Like one that won the World Cup, but very little else.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So which Cavalry player the other day was worse than Petrasso? And do you still think your definition of ineffective is right?

I know I am being opportunist, but having Petrasso in the mix for what is an MVP award, essentially, is garbage.

Again, I'm not making the argument for Petrasso for MVP, but if your list of "effective" players include only those who didn't have a single bad game, that's a short list. 

Try to be honest with your arguments, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Again, I'm not making the argument for Petrasso for MVP, but if your list of "effective" players include only those who didn't have a single bad game, that's a short list. 

Try to be honest with your arguments, please.

So you are "honestly" saying that Petrasso has had a single bad game? Not my idea of honesty.

I really don't care who they give the car to, it is just a promotional ruse, but if the parameters are coming out this way, then they are severely flawed. 

 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...