Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

Fall Season - 2019

Let the games begin (after the very natural break we are now in, and perhaps some kind person would explain to me below exactly what about it is natural, like the New Year which typically separates the two seasons when this format is used).

Cavalry now have little to play for except to maintain momentum. It would not be surprising to see regular rotation to keep players fresh and healthy, which may mean Cavalry won't be as dominant.

And if Cavalry don't win it then Forge's big lead over the pack in the Spring Season counts for nothing and they must win the Fall Season or be left out of the Championship Match. And in the meantime they must contend with their CONCACAF League obligations on a small CPL squad. Do I see a poisoned chalice here?

Might end up being more interesting than it would appear at first glance.

Cavalry has the possibility of starting this new season by focussing on getting a result vs. the Whitecaps. I think they are inferior, and by a lot, but if they can give us a run, all power to them.

The easy money is on expecting Forge and Cavalry to continue to dominate the league. 

I wonder if Edmonton's 3 game winning streak means they will also be in the race?

It will also be interesting to see how active the CPL clubs are during the transfer window (which I think opens July 7). Perhaps some teams making even just 1 or 2 moves may lead to a change in fortune. 

I think York will make a push for the top spot here in the fall season. Hopefullly Pena can suit up and if not they can replace him with another international player. 

Yeah I don’t see Cavalry winning the fall season. They will be rotating player to rest starters for whitecaps games, have to play their u21s to meet quota, and have nothing to play for. Which is why if you win both seasons their shouldn’t be a championship game.

^^ No one here thinks winning The Treble (Spring/Fall/SuperCup) is a thing yet?  As a professional team, I believe Calvary would want to go for it.

41 minutes ago, Mike_St said:

^^ No one here thinks winning The Treble (Spring/Fall/SuperCup) is a thing yet?  As a professional team, I believe Calvary would want to go for it.

You are the first person I’ve seen refer to it like that. In a sense you are right it would be cool, but you could win spring and fall, and nobody will talk about you. Who ever wins the cup match will get all the prestige.

I have Forge as the favourites for the Spring. Cavalry were good, but not quite as good as the results indicated. I do think Forge and Cavalry are a tier above the rest of the clubs. I hope the other seven teams can close the gap.

I think it all depends on how well Forge does in CONCACAF League. If Forge does well there, CPL play will suffer. I have Forge losing to Antigua FWIW, so I think they'll come out on top.

Posted (edited)

^^^^ @Mike_St Assuming "Super Cup" is the Championship Match, isn't it always guaranteed to always be at least a double? So the treble isn't a huge step from there. I think the way this is likely to play out with the current format will be Spring / Fall Season Championship is to CPL Championship Match as NHL President's Trophy is to the Stanley Cup. In other words, nobody will give a fig about the "regular season" winners, which I think is a shame.

I'd think more in terms of a double being CPL Championship plus either VCup or CL winners. Not feasible in the short term of course, but longer term who knows?

Edited by Lofty
Quoted wrong post so changed to @ the person I was replying to.

11 hours ago, Lofty said:

^^^^ @Mike_St Assuming "Super Cup" is the Championship Match, isn't it always guaranteed to always be at least a double? So the treble isn't a huge step from there. I think the way this is likely to play out with the current format will be Spring / Fall Season Championship is to CPL Championship Match as NHL President's Trophy is to the Stanley Cup. In other words, nobody will give a fig about the "regular season" winners, which I think is a shame.

I'd think more in terms of a double being CPL Championship plus either VCup or CL winners. Not feasible in the short term of course, but longer term who knows?

So, the treble would be adding CONCACAF Champions League to that mix? Seems like a sensible classification to me, even if it's extremely unlikely for quite some time.

12 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I think it all depends on how well Forge does in CONCACAF League. If Forge does well there, CPL play will suffer. I have Forge losing to Antigua FWIW, so I think they'll come out on top.

I think Forge will take Antigua, but I think that's as far as they'll make it unless they actively prioritize the CONCACAF League. If they do manage to take Olimpia (a very tall order), that'll be the end of their run in CL this year barring some miraculous play. I don't think we'll see too much of a down-tick from Forge in the regular season as a result of the preliminary round, unless we get some injuries.

Based on what I'm reading here, there are going to be a lot of surprised soccer fans when Halifax takes the fall season by storm and wins the championship. 

Ah well, that just makes the victory even sweeter. 

ALBA NUADH GU BRÀTH! 

In spite of what I said in the opening post, I think Cavalry will walk it again and Forge will be comfortably second. In football, it is surprising how accurately the season start usually predicts the remainder. Cavalry are unlikely to fold just because they rotate their starting line up a bit.

I do think Valour could make a run for third but only if Galey admits his failings to this point. We have already seen him do it with tactics so there is hope. Now he needs to find a way do it with team selection. He does have a lot of good players at his disposal, even if he is a bit short handed in attack and defence. But if he plays Bustos at centre forward again I think we are going to have to have a word!

And there will even be 4 teams to play their 3rd match before Valour plays their first (but Valour plays later that same day).

I just noticed this today too. It’s weird.

I enjoyed this rather creative article. Most of the comparisons were very perceptive and boy did he nail it for Valour!

If you haven’t decided yet which CPL team to support, I offer some comparisons we can draw between the seven CPL teams and seven English Premier League sides.

These are not reaches. This is serious journalism, folks.

https://canpl.ca/article/sandor-which-epl-club-does-each-cpl-team-resemble

On 7/16/2019 at 10:24 PM, Lofty said:

I enjoyed this rather creative article. Most of the comparisons were very perceptive and boy did he nail it for Valour!

If you haven’t decided yet which CPL team to support, I offer some comparisons we can draw between the seven CPL teams and seven English Premier League sides.

These are not reaches. This is serious journalism, folks.

https://canpl.ca/article/sandor-which-epl-club-does-each-cpl-team-resemble

I'm doomed to follow the Arsenal of the Canadian Premier League.

1 minute ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I'm doomed to follow the Arsenal of the Canadian Premier League.

Better than Newcastle: one of the best supported teams with some of the most passionate fans in the country (#1 in my personal experience) and never win a sausage!

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

What's this even based on? The goalkeeper for the second to last placed team is number 3, but none of the leading goalscorers are in the top 5. Seems crazy

Not sure who decides, if it's OneSoccer journalists or not. But the two York9 players is silly. Or just the bias that it's their local team and they know the players and rate them higher.