The Road to Qatar.

Binky

What went over my head (I had to read it a few times) was Peggy and TGAASTAR having a conversation.  How does that go, do u have 2 devices running, do u log out and then log back in under the other ID??  Is it kind of like when you mumble to yourself while deep in thought, except ur typing into a message board?  I know a Psych prof would probably do a nice paper on it.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

What went over my head (I had to read it a few times) was Peggy and TGAASTAR having a conversation.  How does that go, do u have 2 devices running, do u log out and then log back in under the other ID??  Is it kind of like when you mumble to yourself while deep in thought, except ur typing into a message board?  I know a Psych prof would probably do a nice paper on it.  

Peggy is Robert, but TGA isn’t. I think he was something like mister215guy maybe?

They have different writing styles. The early theory was that they were the same person because of Peggy liking exclusively TGA comments, but once Peggy started posting it was pretty clear they are different people.

No the point is to start conversations that guide people towards polarizing views typically around, racial, gender, social, national etc etc construct. Robert's a white guy, TGA's from Ghana, Peggy I guess is supposed to be a women. Eventually we all hate each other. You know, its the internet and I guess by extension the world we now live in. Reality is not so important 

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

Peggy is Robert, but TGA isn’t. I think he was something like mister215guy maybe?

They have different writing styles. The early theory was that they were the same person because of Peggy liking exclusively TGA comments, but once Peggy started posting it was pretty clear they are different people.

Or is this just what he wants you to think??  

doctor-skeptical_C.jpg

Back on the subject of the format,  UEFA is conducting their playoff round in single leg matches with the home teams being determined through a draw.  

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/news/0258-0e2bb3490b69-0abf5d9bc2fa-1000--2022/

This precedent should enable CONCACAF to conduct the minnow path in single leg knockout rounds. 

This should also enable CONCACAF to avoid the nonsense of "best 2nd place finisher".  Take all three 2nd place teams plus the minnow champ and do a semi and final in two matches.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Back on the subject of the format,  UEFA is conducting their playoff round in single leg matches with the home teams being determined through a draw.  

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/news/0258-0e2bb3490b69-0abf5d9bc2fa-1000--2022/

This precedent should enable CONCACAF to conduct the minnow path in single leg knockout rounds. 

This should also enable CONCACAF to avoid the nonsense of "best 2nd place finisher".  Take all three 2nd place teams plus the minnow champ and do a semi and final in two matches.

With 10 international match days, CONCACAF can use a hybrid format like this: 

First Stage: 

Top tier: 3 groups of 4 teams (home and away games)

3 group winners to be decided in 6 match days. They qualified for Qatar 2022.

Lower tier:

1. Team #14-35 take home and away matches to decide 11 winners. (2 match days). Team FIFA ranked #13 gets a bye for 2nd round.

2. Team #13 joins with 11 first round winners to take home and away matches (6 winners, 2 match days)

3. Round 3 home and away matches to decide 3 winners (2 match days)

Now the top tier and lower tier are both completed in 6 match days.

Second Stage:

3 runner ups from top tier groups join with 3 winners from lower tier qualifiers for a mini tournament in a neutral country. 6 teams could be drawed in 2 of 3 team groups. After single round group matches (3 match days), the winners of two groups will take the final match  (1 match day) to decide who represents CONCACAF for the intercontinental match. 

Edited by lamptern

1 hour ago, lamptern said:

First Stage: 

Lower tier:

1. Team #14-35 take home and away matches to decide 11 winners. (2 match days). Team FIFA ranked #13 gets a bye for 2nd round.

2. Team #13 joins with 11 first round winners to take home and away matches (6 winners, 2 match days)

Second Stage:

3 runner ups from top tier groups join with 3 winners from lower tier qualifiers for a mini tournament in a neutral country. 6 teams could be drawed in 2 of 3 team groups. After single round group matches (3 match days), the winners of two groups will take the final match  (1 match day) to decide who represents CONCACAF for the intercontinental match. 

Don't support any plan using neutral countries because it takes away the magic of qualifying which is having fans there to watch and celebrate as their nation succeeds. Besides we should be able to start qualifying in November at the latest giving us two more match days. Also. there's no chance the world is staying closed for that long, at worst the games will be behind closed doors/reduced crowds.

7 hours ago, lamptern said:

First Stage: 

Lower tier:

Second Stage:

I love this format a lot

10 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Don't support any plan using neutral countries because it takes away the magic of qualifying which is having fans there to watch and celebrate as their nation succeeds. Besides we should be able to start qualifying in November at the latest giving us two more match days. Also. there's no chance the world is staying closed for that long, at worst the games will be behind closed doors/reduced crowds.

Without a light in the tunnel so far on the ending of COVID-19, sport world has to compromise with a feasible plan if fans want to see some games to happen. 

Out of three stages, in my plan the only stage plays in a neutral location is the fight for 0.5 quota, the last chance to qualify. UEFA countries  can break the tradition and live with it, I can't see a reason we couldn't follow.

For fair play and integrity, 3 byes from both top and lower tier to compete in last stage is far more better than the so called best 2nd place of top tier group vs the lone winner of lower tier group.

Edited by lamptern

11 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Or, the top 3 countries; Mexico, the Unites States and Costa Rica could be given a bye into a final round and be joined by the winners of the 4 to 35 ranked countries.

Round 1 - home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window:

4 vs. 35

5 vs. 34

6 vs. 33

7 vs. 32

8 vs. 31

9 vs. 30

10 vs. 29

11 vs. 28

12 vs. 27

13 vs. 26

14 vs. 25

15 vs. 24

16 vs. 23

17 vs. 22

18 vs. 21

19 vs. 20

The 16 winners of Round 1 can be paired up in Round 2 for home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window.

The 8 winners of Round 2 can be paired up in Round 3 for home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window.

The 4 winners of Round 3 can be paired up in Round 4 for home and home matches, 2 match days, 1 FIFA window.

The 2 winner of Round 4 can be paired up in Round 5 for home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window.

The winner of Round 5 join Mexico, the United State and Costa Rica in a Final Round to determine the 3 CONCACAF World Cup berths and the Inter-continental berth. Could be played in 1 FIFA window.

Three byes to final round of 4 teams where (drumroll) zero get eliminated.  I can't tell if this is trolling or you really are this f#cking dumb

6 minutes ago, Peggy said:

It doesn't matter how you slice it, because in the end it will be those three; Mexico, the United States and Costa Rica that end up qualifying for the World Cup. For the sake of saving time and giving the president of CONCACAF an abbreviated World Cup qualifying format so he can stage his Nations League tournament, we might as well let the other 32 wanna-bees have a giant free for all. Who knows, maybe Canada will come out on top and get a shot at one of the Big 3 for a direct ticket to Qatar, or at worst, be the CONCACAF representative in the Inter-continental play-off. One thing is for sure, this format will answer the question of whether or not Canada is the 4th best country in CONCACAF. If not, then we don't deserve to go to Qatar, right?

Yeah obviously those 3 will make the World Cup every cycle. I mean look at USA, it’s been 2 whole years since they failed to make the World Cup. Why should they have to earn it?

Edited by archer21

4 minutes ago, Peggy said:

It doesn't matter how you slice it, because in the end it will be those three; Mexico, the United States and Costa Rica that end up qualifying for the World Cup. For the sake of saving time and giving the president of CONCACAF an abbreviated World Cup qualifying format so he can stage his Nations League tournament, we might as well let the other 32 wanna-bees have a giant free for all. Who knows, maybe Canada will come out on top and get a shot at one of the Big 3 for a direct ticket to Qatar, or at worst, be the CONCACAF representative in the Inter-continental play-off. One thing is for sure, this format will answer the question of whether or not Canada is the 4th best country in CONCACAF. If not, then we don't deserve to go to Qatar, right?

@admin Again this is Robert's new account.

It's actually impressive how you and TGAA can singlehandedly ruin intelligent discussion from hundreds of people and turn this forum into a frustrating place to visit.

19 minutes ago, Peggy said:

So if you are to be believed, I must be doing pretty good since only 7 out of hundreds of intelligent people gave you a little blue heart. That's less than 3% who agree you.

I'll tell you what. If you can get just 100 little blue hearts, then there's no need for @admin to ban, cause I'll never come back to this site under any name! 

I want to make sure that doesnt get edited.  I might pull a RObert myself and make up a dozen different fake IDS just to make this happens.  

7 hours ago, Peggy said:

Or, the top 3 countries; Mexico, the Unites States and Costa Rica could be given a bye into a final round and be joined by the winners of the 4 to 35 ranked countries.

Round 1 - home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window:

4 vs. 35

5 vs. 34

6 vs. 33

7 vs. 32

8 vs. 31

9 vs. 30

10 vs. 29

11 vs. 28

12 vs. 27

13 vs. 26

14 vs. 25

15 vs. 24

16 vs. 23

17 vs. 22

18 vs. 21

19 vs. 20

The 16 winners of Round 1 can be paired up in Round 2 for home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window.

The 8 winners of Round 2 can be paired up in Round 3 for home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window.

The 4 winners of Round 3 can be paired up in Round 4 for home and home matches, 2 match days, 1 FIFA window.

The 2 winner of Round 4 can be paired up in Round 5 for home and home matches, 2 match-days, 1 FIFA window.

The winner of Round 5 join Mexico, the United State and Costa Rica in a Final Round to determine the 3 CONCACAF World Cup berths and the Inter-continental berth. Could be played in 1 FIFA window.

Up until the end of round 2 of this post I thought it was going to be a completely normal post that was a reasonable format. Then the other teams just never got added in and I realized it was a classic Robert post. Surprised he didn’t give curaçao a bye to the final round considering their Dutch and all.

58 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Up until the end of round 2 of this post I thought it was going to be a completely normal post that was a reasonable format. Then the other teams just never got added in and I realized it was a classic Robert post. Surprised he didn’t give curaçao a bye to the final round considering their Dutch and all.

Automatic berths for Curacao and Suriname, Sint Maarten and Aruba play off for the third

16 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Ditto:

See who reacted to this

1. Bdog

35 minutes ago
  2. dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

51 minutes ago
  3. TripleA

1 hour ago
  4. RS

1 hour ago
  5. JamboAl

1 hour ago
  6. Weng

1 hour ago
  7. SkuseisLoose

SkuseisLoose

1 hour ago
  8. N1ckbr0wn

2 hours ago
  9. Longrange

2 hours ago
  10. An Observer

3 hours ago
  11. jtpc

3 hours ago
  12. Alex

4 hours ago
  13. JuicyHam

4 hours ago
  14. Shortdutchcanuck

4 hours ago
  15. Bison44

4 hours ago
  16. Nate3322

5 hours ago
  17. CanadianSoccerFan

5 hours ago
  18. Ivan

6 hours ago
  19. lamptern

6 hours ago
  20. Trois Reds

6 hours ago
  21. Strait Red

6 hours ago
  22. archer21

7 hours ago
  23. Stryker911

7 hours ago

I think that’s the most likes I’ve ever seen a post get. By a pretty large margin.

23 in  5 hours, thats what I would call a good start. But who are we kidding, you'll just be back, getting banned, what is it 5 times in the last couple years doesnt stop you.  And unfortunately we (I am) just giving you the attention you crave.  Go on and spout your baloney, that gets disproved in about 5 min by the first guy to respond. 

News about CONCACAF WCQ

It seems that the new rumor is that FIFA rejected the Concacaf  WCQ of 3 groups of 4, considering that six games are too few to qualify for the World Cup. The world entity wants the top 6 to be involved in previous rounds and there is talk of an octagonal. According to several journalistic sources, the final decision will be at the beginning of July. 

Sources: RPC Panama and TV Max 

http://elsiglo.com.pa/deportes/cambios-eliminatorias-concacaf-rumbo-catar-2022/24158466

https://www.tvmax-9.com/somoslasele/Bomba-FIFA-rechazado-eliminatorias-CONCACAF_0_5602689705.html

Edited by xabuep2

38 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

News about CONCACAF WCQ

It seems that the new rumor is that FIFA rejected the Concacaf  WCQ of 3 groups of 4, considering that six games are too few to qualify for the World Cup. The world entity wants the top 6 to be involved in previous rounds and there is talk of an octagonal. According to several journalistic sources, the final decision will be at the beginning of July. 

Sources: RPC Panama and TV Max 

http://elsiglo.com.pa/deportes/cambios-eliminatorias-concacaf-rumbo-catar-2022/24158466

https://www.tvmax-9.com/somoslasele/Bomba-FIFA-rechazado-eliminatorias-CONCACAF_0_5602689705.html

Thanks for this!

By "octagonal" they surely mean two groups of 4.  Otherwise it's 14 games.

So most likely straight knockout leading to 2 groups of 4.

I would be perfectly fine with that

Reading between the lines, Vic was trying to save dates for other CONCACAF competitions.  He wants to finish the Nations League final 4, avoid using the June 2021 FIFA dates to protect the Gold Cup, and start the next Nations League at the end of 2021.  This is FIFA saying "that $hit can wait so use all of the dates for WCQ."

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

So most likely straight knockout leading to 2 groups of 4

What you write has a lot of logic. Two rounds of direct elimination: 35 to 16, 16 to 8, and the 8 finalists in two groups of 4. At least 10 matches would be played to go to the World Cup: a decent number of games

5 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

What you write has a lot of logic. Two rounds of direct elimination: 35 to 16, 16 to 8, and the 8 finalists in two groups of 4. At least 10 matches would be played to go to the World Cup: a decent number of games

You can't get from 35 to 16 though. So it would need to be:

1st Round: A total of 6 teams, teams ranked 29–35 in the CONCACAF entrant list, play home-and-away over two legs. The three winners advanced to the second round. (2 match days)

2nd Round: The remaining 32 teams play home-and-away over two legs. The 16 winners advanced to the third round. (2 match days)

3rd Round: The remaining 16 teams play home-and-away over two legs. The 8 winners advanced to the fourth round. (2 match days)

4th Round: The remaining 8 teams are divided into two groups of four teams each. In each group, teams played against each other home-and-away in a round-robin format for a total of six matches per team. The winner of each group qualifies for the 2022 World Cup. The second place team moves on to playoff round. (6 match days)

Playoff Round: The two second place teams play home-and-away over two legs. The winner qualifies for the 2022 World Cup and the loser moves on to the Inter-confederation play-offs. (2 match days)

That's 14 match days though. The only way I can see them shortening this is if the best ranked second place team makes it to the World Cup and the other moves on to Inter-confederation play-offs, which is a terrible way to do it but it would eliminate 2 match days.

7 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

You can't get from 35 to 16 though. So it would need to be:

1st Round: A total of 6 teams, teams ranked 29–35 in the CONCACAF entrant list, play home-and-away over two legs. The three winners advanced to the second round. (2 match days)

2nd Round: The remaining 32 teams play home-and-away over two legs. The 16 winners advanced to the third round. (2 match days)

3rd Round: The remaining 16 teams play home-and-away over two legs. The 8 winners advanced to the fourth round. (2 match days)

4th Round: The remaining 8 teams are divided into two groups of four teams each. In each group, teams played against each other home-and-away in a round-robin format for a total of six matches per team. The winner of each group qualifies for the 2022 World Cup. The second place team moves on to playoff round. (6 match days)

Playoff Round: The two second place teams play home-and-away over two legs. The winner qualifies for the 2022 World Cup and the loser moves on to the Inter-confederation play-offs. (2 match days)

That's 14 match days though. The only way I can see them shortening this is if the best ranked second place team makes it to the World Cup and the other moves on to Inter-confederation play-offs, which is a terrible way to do it but it would eliminate 2 match days.

They could play the first round outside of the FIFA window for teams 30-35.  They did that a few cycles ago.  I don't think it would cause too much of a stink in Anguila and Turks & Caicos etc.  Not like they have any internationals to get released.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Thanks for this!

So most likely straight knockout leading to 2 groups of 4.

I would be perfectly fine with that

Reading between the lines, Vic was trying to save dates for other CONCACAF competitions.  He wants to finish the Nations League final 4, avoid using the June 2021 FIFA dates to protect the Gold Cup, and start the next Nations League at the end of 2021.  This is FIFA saying "that $hit can wait so use all of the dates for WCQ."

The problem is that at some point before next June we need to figure out the final 4 gold cup teams. 

• Admin locked this topic