The Road to Qatar.

Binky

17 hours ago, canadafan101 said:

What’s funny now is we should have tried to be ranked 13th and play the Minnow route. It’s easier now. You have to win the tournament of 13-35 ranked in concacaf not 7-35 ranked in concacaf to make the playoff.

If Canada were 13th without a doubt we should be playing a playoff vs Panama/ Jamaica to make the intercontinental playoff.  

What you say is very likely true.  But, to me,  there is something to be said for qualifying honnorably.    Beating the sides that you are suppose beat in your region,  gaining respect as national team from opponents and home fans, proving that you are good, going to the  world cup with confidence.....etc.   This is as important as being granted a spot for the WC IMHO.    As much as i hated the previous (Pre pandemic) format because it was unfair mathematically,  i also hated the fact that we would never of gotten to play the good sides in the region and it would have been a tough sell at home when your qualifying sched is almost entirely full of oppoenents that are tiny island nations that for logistical or population  reasons cannot be expected to ever be internationally competetive.  

Fortunately,  this new format finally allows us to qualify honnorably.  

Edited by Free kick

39 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  He played CB for Canada at CB in the U20 WC in 2007.  He was ultimately named to the tournament best eleven.  We have never had that kind of achievement since.    And that 2007 squad arguably achieved the greatest performance by a mens NT team since qualifying for the WC by the senior team in 1986.  CB is our achilles heel on the NT.   There is no real standout at that position so what is there to lose by playing him at CB.   The position doesnt require the greatest mobility and its about smarts,  he would fit the bill.   Its a gamble worth taking IMHO.

I see it this way also.

We have a hole to plug and he is a reliable player with tons of experience. Physically he still has enough juice to make it work, because like you say it is all about smarts when you play that position and Hutchinson has that. It really seems like an obvious solution to me. We have enough midfield depth that we won't miss him, but we can always move him into defensive midfield if the game calls for it.

I don't think we need our CB pairing to be dominant, though it would be nice, I just think we need players you can depend on. I have defended Henry time and again on this forum and I think he has some great qualities, but I cannot depend on him not to do something rash, be it a tackle or a brain fart. He is high risk high reward, but we need low risk in this position while the offense puts in work. Our defense doesn't need to win us games, they just can't lose us games. 

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  He played CB for Canada at CB in the U20 WC in 2007.  He was ultimately named to the tournament best eleven.  We have never had that kind of achievement since.    And that 2007 squad arguably achieved the greatest performance by a mens NT team since qualifying for the WC by the senior team in 1986.  CB is our achilles heel on the NT.   There is no real standout at that position so what is there to lose by playing him at CB.   The position doesnt require the greatest mobility and its about smarts,  he would fit the bill.   Its a gamble worth taking IMHO.

2003, surely?

18 hours ago, canadafan101 said:

What’s funny now is we should have tried to be ranked 13th and play the Minnow route. It’s easier now. You have to win the tournament of 13-35 ranked in concacaf not 7-35 ranked in concacaf to make the playoff.

If Canada were 13th without a doubt we should be playing a playoff vs Panama/ Jamaica to make the intercontinental playoff.  

While that maybe true, if we were ranked 13th we wouldn't have the players we have now. You can't have it both ways. At least that's the way it's supposed to be.

10 hours ago, Free kick said:

Edit:  it was 2003, not 2007,  the year that Cnd made to the quarterfinals and lost 2-1 to Spain at the U20 WC.

He played CB for the senior squad at least once as well. Seem to recall he played well there. Players in the twilight of their career moving to defense is nothing new. Think Dwight Yorke for T&T at world cup 2006.  

The interesting part of qualifying is how they plan on getting 23 teams down to 1. Im assuming a straight home and home knockout format will happen. (unless the pandemic won’t allow for it because of travel and it turns into a single site or something) If it’s traditional the quickest way that I can see is by doing 5 rounds, 10 games. 23>16>8>4>2. Then the extra date for the playoff, then the intercontinental playoff is March 2022. 

Much will be determined by travel and quarantine restrictions this fall. 

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

The interesting part of qualifying is how they plan on getting 23 teams down to 1. Im assuming a straight home and home knockout format will happen. (unless the pandemic won’t allow for it because of travel and it turns into a single site or something) If it’s traditional the quickest way that I can see is by doing 5 rounds, 10 games. 23>16>8>4>2. Then the extra date for the playoff, then the intercontinental playoff is March 2022. 

I can see this tournament being at a neutral venue. Cuts down on cost and travel possibly makes it easier to play more games in a shorter time frame.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Yeah this is the interesting thing to find out. If it’s gonna take 10 match days to find which team will play the playoff, then it makes no sense to only have 6 match days for the top 12 teams.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

If it's tournament style and played in a neutral site, then it can be 1 game knockout. Would save a lot of time.

27 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Why can't CONCACAF do the same and start its World Cup qualifying campaign in October also? Then there would be no need to change the current format that is in place?

There would be 4 match dates in 2020, 10 match dates in 2021, and 6 match dates in 2022 if FIFA extended the qualifying process up to and including the May 30th - June 14th window. That's a total of 20 match dates.

The HEX and 7-to-35 route would only require 10 match dates, the 4th place HEX vs Best of the Rest play-off would require 2 match dates, and the Intercontinental play-off would require 2 match dates as well. That's a total of 14 match dates.

Hi Robert,

It's a good suggestion. Unfortunately, moving forward with the current format is unfair for the nations just outside the Hex, such as Canada, who did not have the March and June windows as well as potential out of window matches in April and May to gain points and overtake the current sixth seeded nation.

21 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

He's only played youth games for PSV. There's no chance he's the third best keeper in CONCACAF over someone like Borjan who plays champions league football every year. No doubt he has the potential to be in the top 3 in the future but he definitely isn't there yet.

Don't waste your breath.  To Robert, a youth keeper at PSV (who is possibly Dutch) is better than a Champions League keeper at Red Star Belgrade.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Don't waste your breath.  To Robert, a youth keeper at PSV (who is possibly Dutch) is better than a Champions League keeper at Red Star Belgrade.

Eloy Room is Curacao's starter, so this youth keeper should probably try to win that job before staking a claim as one of CONCACAF's best.

6 minutes ago, Peggy said:

At the very least people are now engaging in the depth of goalkeeping in CONCACAF, a position which was entirely overlooked in this thread prior to my post. However, since no one has yet responded with a different list of top 5 keepers in CONCACAF, makes me think that I must have nailed it.

It is off topic. I suggest creating a new thread for it.

52 minutes ago, Peggy said:

At the very least people are now engaging in the depth of goalkeeping in CONCACAF, a position which was entirely overlooked in this thread prior to my post. However, since no one has yet responded with a different list of top 5 keepers in CONCACAF, makes me think that I must have nailed it.

Based on FIFA 20 ratings:

1. Kaylor Navas

2. Guillermo Ochoa

3. Zack Steffen

4. Jonathan Orozco

5. Milan Borjan

14 hours ago, Peggy said:

Why can't CONCACAF do the same and start its World Cup qualifying campaign in October also? Then there would be no need to change the current format that is in place?

There would be 4 match dates in 2020, 10 match dates in 2021, and 6 match dates in 2022 if FIFA extended the qualifying process up to and including the May 30th - June 14th window. That's a total of 20 match dates.

The HEX and 7-to-35 route would only require 10 match dates, the 4th place HEX vs Best of the Rest play-off would require 2 match dates, and the Intercontinental play-off would require 2 match dates as well. That's a total of 14 match dates.

I mean it is food for thought and it is the only way to get on schedule for Qatar since it is set for November 2022

• Admin locked this topic