• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@admin Again this is Robert's new account. It's actually impressive how you and TGAA can singlehandedly ruin intelligent discussion from hundreds of people and turn this forum into a frustrating

If we can't win this group, we only have ourselves to blame. I don't think anyone in our group would be favoured to make it to the World Cup, so if we think we can make a World Cup, we should have no

We can't be scared of Bermuda and Suriname ffs. It's probably a better thing we play decent teams in that round than just beat up on minnows anyway

Posted Images

Only the best second place team moving on to a playoff, as opposed to all 3 second place teams. More difficult than making the Hex in years past. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the pots are based on regions: North, Central and Caribbean. This would essentially mean Canada is seeded. Let's hope. 

Otherwise, a dream group would be Costa Rica, El Salvador and Antigua. 

Group of death would be Mex, Honduras and Haiti. 

20 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Only the best second place team moving on to a playoff, as opposed to all 3 second place teams. More difficult than making the Hex in years past. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the pots are based on regions: North, Central and Caribbean. This would essentially mean Canada is seeded. Let's hope. 

Otherwise, a dream group would be Costa Rica, El Salvador and Antigua. 

Group of death would be Mex, Honduras and Haiti. 

Just want to note it doesn’t specify how the top 2nd place team will be decided.

if this is true then lets see who we go up against cannot wait for the draw , Pisses me off that El Salvador is rated higher than us  especially  when we  have finished above them In World Cup  qualifying and have had better  Gold Cups then they have especially in the last two editions. BuT what can you do.  My  dream group would be ;

Costa Rica. ( Our record vs them is not that bad)

El Salvador ( I want to beat those guys so badly)

Canada

Antigua ( Awesome Road trip)

Reality

Costa Rica

Honduras ( we always seem to play against them and I so want revenge from that 8 -1drubbing

Canada

Haiti  ( Again Revenge But I think it will be two decent games to watch)

9 hours ago, Raven said:

Brad also states:

"Based on current Concacaf Fifa Rankings the pots for the qualifying draw would be:

1. USA, Mexico, Costa Rica

2. Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador

3. CANADA, Curacao, Panama

4. Haiti, Trinidad, Antigua & Barbuda

The top 3 will want to avoid being drawn againt Canada

Canada could end up with a favorable group draw but I doubt it

I think what we can hope for is to get in a group with El Salvador. Any other combination of teams is fine as long as we see El Salvador. I think having them automatically puts us down as the 2nd best team on paper in any group. Also, it might be best to avoid Antigua because Antigua will go 0-6, therefore there’s less room for error because they will likely not take points over any other teams that we might be trying to catch. 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think what we can hope for is to get in a group with El Salvador. Any other combination of teams is fine as long as we see El Salvador. I think having them automatically puts us down as the 2nd best team on paper in any group. Also, it might be best to avoid Antigua because Antigua will go 0-6, therefore there’s less room for error because they will likely not take points over any other teams that we might be trying to catch. 

It seems almost every Canadian wants El Salvador in the group

Does anyone have confirmation of how the best second place team will be decided?

If the best second place team based on group play advances, I want to be in the group with Antigua.

To me that is more important than who we get from Pot 2.

Edited by Obinna
45 minutes ago, Alex said:

Why would someone not want Antigua? That is a guaranteed 2 wins with a good goal differential. None of the other 2nd place teams will get that opportunity. If the best 2nd place team isnt in Antiguas group I'll be shocked.

37 minutes ago, Alex said:

I see what you are saying. Everyone beats Antigua which removes our margin for error.

In that case we must get the better of pot 2 and/or split with them and take more points from pot 1 than they do.

Perhaps that actually makes it more straightforward for us? 

I would still take them if I had a choice though. If we can finish second we likely do so with more points and better goal difference than anyone else.

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Why would someone not want Antigua? That is a guaranteed 2 wins with a good goal differential. None of the other 2nd place teams will get that opportunity. If the best 2nd place team isnt in Antiguas group I'll be shocked.

Well put. That's how I see it too.

I see what Alex is saying, but pot 4 could hurt us just as easily as they could help us.

Edited by Obinna
35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Well put. That's how I see it too.

I see what Alex is saying, but pot 4 could hurt us just as easily as they could help us.

Just to clarify, what I mean is that if Haiti or T&T are in our group, they could help us by stealing points from the other teams, which Alex was alluding to as a possible benefit. However, they could steal points from us too, so I think it cancels out.

Antiga on the other hand would probably lose to everybody.

It would be worth going to a 4-3-3 for WCQ because Canada do have a lot of options in midfield and 3 very good strikers. For Canada it would be best to have as many good players on the field as possible.

Junior Hoilett, Scott Arfield, and David Wotherspoon are all good players but are getting up there with age and should slowly be phased out if you want Canada to properly build and have a strong base for a WCQ.

Borjan (GK)
Brault-Guillard (RB), Henry (CB), Cornelius (CB), Davies (LB)
Piette (CDM), Eustaquio (LCM), Osorio (RCM)
David (LW), Larin (CF), Cavallini (RW)

This would be my line up and interesting for a 4-3-3 
47 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

It would be worth going to a 4-3-3 for WCQ because Canada do have a lot of options in midfield and 3 very good strikers. For Canada it would be best to have as many good players on the field as possible.

Junior Hoilett, Scott Arfield, and David Wotherspoon are all good players but are getting up there with age and should slowly be phased out if you want Canada to properly build and have a strong base for a WCQ.

Borjan (GK)
Brault-Guillard (RB), Henry (CB), Cornelius (CB), Davies (LB)
Piette (CDM), Eustaquio (LCM), Osorio (RCM)
David (LW), Larin (CF), Cavallini (RW)

This would be my line up and interesting for a 4-3-3 

Without Arfield and Junior in major roles, we aren’t qualifying for 2022.

I have major doubts about Cavallini playing the wing. He’s an out and out in the box poacher. 

I don’t make lineup projections, but I can’t see Arfield on the bench in any meaningful qualifier.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I get what you mean and I agree that the best 2nd will probably come out of their group on goal differential and by getting an easy 6 points. But I’ve been following this team for a long time and I’ve seen it time and time again where there’s one bad call or late penalty that destroys our campaign which may have us rely on a team like Antigua getting a draw vs Jamaica or Honduras. We know that’s unlikely. Look at our nations league group with USA and Cuba. The last match had USA vs Cuba and prior to the match we were in 1st. Cuba has no hope of drawing the USA and they didn’t. Imagine a team that was a bit stronger there, it would be more likely they can get a result. Granted it’s also more like we don’t get 6 points versus them either. 

If we do get Antigua, Mexico and Jamaica for example and the matches against Jamaica don’t go our way or we split them then Jamaica beats Antigua 8-0 and we beat them 7-0 that would be a crappy way to be 3rd. 

Duane Rollins has been incorrectly reporting that all 2nd place teams would go into a playoff and other sources referenced him as well.  This has caused some confusion.

The only root source is the RPC story from Panama that clearly says only the best 2nd place finisher would go to a playoff.  ESPN notes the same source.

15 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Duane Rollins has been incorrectly reporting that all 2nd place teams would go into a playoff and other sources referenced him as well.  This has caused some confusion.

The only root source is the RPC story from Panama that clearly says only the best 2nd place finisher would go to a playoff.  ESPN notes the same source.

That's unfortunate, because what he has reported would make more sense. I hope that he is right, as I feel more countries would be willing to get onboard with this format

Due to the lack of FIFA dates, the only certainty we have is that there will be no Hex. Attached I send you several links  from Latin American sport newspapers writing about types of formats (in Spanish). Most describe the 3 groups of 4 countries. I have even read up to 2 groups of 4. I live in Panama and here the quarantine has been one of the strictest in the region, we have many cases of Covid-19 and our health ministry asked FIFA for another extension for the U20 Women's World. The country does not guarantee the minimum health measures for the next month of January 2021 and they requested to postpone it for August 2021.  This is the situation of a single member of Concacaf, there are still 34 members with their own problems. So I don't think there will be a WCQ this year, much less a hex. How will the new format be? for now we can only speculate: 

https://www.diez.hn/centroamerica/1383147-498/formato-concacaf-eliminatoria-qatar-2022-seleccion-guatemala

https://www.diez.hn/blogs/1383731-500/blog-mauricio-kawas-un-eventual-cambio-de-formato-eliminatorias-concacaf

https://www.tvmax-9.com/somoslasele/Dirigente-mexicano-eliminatoria-Concacaf-inminente_0_5584691574.html

https://www.nacion.com/puro-deporte/seleccion-nacional/concacaf-podria-cambiar-formato-de-la-eliminatoria/6H4INY433FD7RAWOK2UAYBSGTE/story/

https://us.as.com/us/2020/04/20/futbol/1587338875_074813.html

Edited by xabuep2
45 minutes ago, dnina10 said:

That's unfortunate, because what he has reported would make more sense. I hope that he is right, as I feel more countries would be willing to get onboard with this format

Again though, there is no info about how the best 2nd placed team is determined.  It could be the one with the best record coming out of the group stage or it could be determined by some sort of play off.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Again though, there is no info about how the best 2nd placed team is determined.  It could be the one with the best record coming out of the group stage or it could be determined by some sort of play off.

Fair, but regardless. Once there's the 'best' second place involved, that can always cause trouble. I again point to last summer's UEFA U21 Euros and what happened to Italia. It's the same idea. I definitely think it's a bad idea from CONCACAF to just decide that the best runner up qualifies. It's a reasonable proposal. Don't spoil it with that idea

57 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it will be determined not just by record but by goal difference also