The Road to Qatar.

Binky

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2020/5/29/21274244/report-new-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-format-12-teams-3-groups

The top 12 teams according to the FIFA World Rankings would be split into 3 groups of 4 for a double round robin, home-and-away round of qualifying matches. The winner of each group would earn direct qualification to the 2022 World Cup. The 2nd place team from each group would join the winner of the lower tier qualification tournament (which consists of teams 13-35 in the region) in a mini tournament. The winner of that 4-team bracket would advance to represent Concacaf in the inter-confederation playoff, where they could earn a spot in the World Cup with a win.

It cites the same source from Panama.

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It cites the same source from Panama.

Yeah I know. I provided that to show another interpretation of what the repechage may look like. We have been talking about it being the best 2nd place team based on group place, but here is another take on it... 

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2020/5/29/21274244/report-new-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-format-12-teams-3-groups

The top 12 teams according to the FIFA World Rankings would be split into 3 groups of 4 for a double round robin, home-and-away round of qualifying matches. The winner of each group would earn direct qualification to the 2022 World Cup. The 2nd place team from each group would join the winner of the lower tier qualification tournament (which consists of teams 13-35 in the region) in a mini tournament. The winner of that 4-team bracket would advance to represent Concacaf in the inter-confederation playoff, where they could earn a spot in the World Cup with a win.

Hopefully if it is indeed 3 groups of 4, this report is true about a 4 team bracket. So much better than just taking the best 2nd place team. Still will be very difficult to qualify if we are in a group with Mexico but it gives you a fighting chance if that does happen. 

Edited by archer21

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

I like this format even better than the hex. 

All I want guys is just the games to be played  I want to see another Canada v USA match up at BMO hopefully in a packed stadium  with both CBC and ESPN broadcasting it live, I want to see cities like Victoria , Winnipeg, and Halifax host games . just want to see How are National team has evolved since the last World Cup qualifying campaign

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I like this format even better than the hex. 

I like it too.

Assuming this gets confirmed, we may also re-examine the path difficulties, because finishing second may be harder than winning the lower-seed tournament, depending on group of course. 

That may be less an issue for us than say Antigua and Barbuda. You could argue though if you can't finish second you won't fare better in the mini-tournament. 

As for the format of that (this is my own speculation), it could be held at a single location and could be the double-life format:

1 seed - 2A

2 seed - 2B

3 seed - 2C

4 seed - lower champ

Game one: 1 vs. 2

Game two: 3 vs. 4

Game one winner to final

Game one loser to semi

Game two winner to semi

Game two loser eliminated 

Edited by Obinna

Canada's FIFA World Cup qualifiers no doubt will and should be televised but as far as where I would have Canada play the majority of this qualifying campaign when it comes to home games:

BMO Field for all Canada home games for 2022 qualifiers

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

3 hours ago, Peggy said:

What is fair? Is a World Cup without a Caribbean representative fair? Is a World Cup without one of the top three CONCACAF countries fair?

Well since you talk about this. So AFC sending no countries from the Middle East is fair? CAF sending no countries from Eastern Africa is fair? World Cup not sending an Oceania team is fair? Why not send a similar suggestion to AFC, CAF and OFC members?  

Any confederation should create a system that allows its best teams to qualify. They'd be stupid not too. 

Yup I say we stay the course and play games in Toronto and Vancouver. 

In an ideal world we world play at some of the CPL venues, but the world is far from ideal. 

I do hope we see more CPL stadium hosted friendlies over the coming years. 

By the way, Am I crazy to fantasize about us getting some wcq revenge over Mexico at BC Place? 

Ok good format I like it. However, hopefully we can stay as far away from that Mexico group as possible. Mexico are on another level they are a top 10 team in the world , never mind the rankings. I know the ball is round and all that and we have an improved team , but your lucky to get a tie at home and going into Mexico we all know what the outcome  will be . If Canada lands in a group with Costa Rica this for me would be the best outcome to actually having a chance to winning the group and qualifying.

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I was watching  a replay of the Canada/Honduras game at Van during the 2018 WCQ and its amazing how much stronger our squad is now . If  our game plan/tactics are right and  our centre backs elevate their performance .....we can tango with the top 3 in Concacaf

I watched it on YouTube the other night as well. We are so much better now, but one thing I was reminded of was how good Atiba was (is). I hope he comes back for some of the qualifying games, the kids we have could learn from him.

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is the exact format I was hoping for. It would reduce the importance of which group we are drawn into. Still hoping to avoid Mexico though. Assuming a fair draw (🤣) We shouldn't have a problem finishing 2nd in any group and have a legit chance at 1st in a couple.

17 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I watched it on YouTube the other night as well. We are so much better now, but one thing I was reminded of was how good Atiba was (is). I hope he comes back for some of the qualifying games, the kids we have could learn from him.

Spot on. Atiba was a stud in that game. He was having  a strong season for Besiktas before the pandemic. Perhaps the break will extend his playing career?

12 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Spot on. Atiba was a stud in that game. He was having  a strong season for Besiktas before the pandemic. Perhaps the break will extend his playing career?

My optimal lineup for 2022 qualifying still has Atiba in the middle of a back 3 with Doneil and one of Cornelius/Miller on the other side.

2 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Nice try. However, sticking to the point: because no other Confederation Identifies specific regions in its name.

The name is Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF).

If you're going to be inclusive, you might as well take the Caribbean out of the CONCACAF and call it:

The Confederation of North and Central American Association Football (CONCAAF).

Again, if that's the case, the Confederation should be renamed CONCAAF. Like when was the last  time a Caribbean nation was ranked in the CONCACAF top three, according to the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings?

@admin this dude had this account made before you banned neuker, please lay the hammer down again

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Ok good format I like it. However, hopefully we can stay as far away from that Mexico group as possible. Mexico are on another level they are a top 10 team in the world , never mind the rankings. I know the ball is round and all that and we have an improved team , but your lucky to get a tie at home and going into Mexico we all know what the outcome  will be . If Canada lands in a group with Costa Rica this for me would be the best outcome to actually having a chance to winning the group and qualifying.

I have my doubts. Imagine this tricky group: Costa Rica, Honduras, Canada and Haiti.

39 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Nice try. However, sticking to the point: because no other Confederation Identifies specific regions in its name.

The name is Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF).

If you're not going to be inclusive, you might as well take the Caribbean out of the CONCACAF and call it:

The Confederation of North and Central American Association Football (CONCAAF).

Again, if that's the case, the Confederation should be renamed CONCAAF. Like when was the last  time a Caribbean nation was ranked in the CONCACAF top three, according to the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings?

Why even be part of the same confederation then? Just make 3 completely separate confederations if you’re just gonna take 1 from each anyways. If a Caribbean team wants to go to the World Cup, beat the other teams in qualifying and earn it.

From all media accounts I've read out of South America, WCQ will have to take place within the match days remaining according to the previous schedule, from the point FIFA makes their decision to restart games.  FIFA does not want to add any more windows to their already congested schedule, and they do not want empty stadiums for the first few games, because that will be seen as an unfair advantage to those lucky teams with home games later in the schedule.

FIFA Match Days:

- 6 match days left in 2020 (Sept, Oct, Nov) *** This is the key issue, FIFA as of yet does not know how many, if any, of these match days will be used.  Concacaf wants to avoid using these windows altogether.

- 10 match days in 2021, (March, May, Sept, Oct, Nov)

- 2 match days for the intercontinental playoffs (Mar 2022)

The proposed "top 12" group stage would require 6 match days.  This is the favoured scenario in Concacaf because it does not require any games played in 2020, as there is plenty of time for this tournament next year March-Sept.

The 4 team playoff requires 4 match days, likely the Oct and Nov 2021 windows.

The problem Concacaf has is getting the 23 bottom teams down to 16 for a proper knock out stage, with a winner determined by Sept 2021.  The previous system, with a 4 team group stage and 3 rounds of knock outs required 12 match days.  They will probably only have 6 or 8 match days to work with now.  Predicting the group stage will turn into a neutral ground mini tournament in Dec 2020 so the 8 team knock out ties can start in March 2021. 

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

My optimal lineup for 2022 qualifying still has Atiba in the middle of a back 3 with Doneil and one of Cornelius/Miller on the other side.

Atiba yeah sure he can take part in the qualifiers but let's say sake of argument Canada somehow qualifies for Qatar which is like in another 2 years, he will be 39 years old in Qatar 2022 by the time the tournament starts. I have to wonder if Herdman would really take him in the Final 23 man squad?

• Admin locked this topic