Jump to content
Binky

The Road to Qatar.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

I have a slight suspicion that if they only used one venue, it would be the Bradenton Florida Soccer Complex

Sorry - I confused this for the single CPL venue discussion, so thought this was a brilliant joke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think we will punch above our weight with any format that involves neutral venues.

Or to put it another way, other teams (especially the central americans) will punch below their weight without enjoying their home field advantage, which is much stronger than ours.

Unfortunately, I think we have the weakest home field advantage of any team in the top 12.

hmmm.  Not sure.  If the neutral venue is in the states (which it likely would be), they would enjoy home support for every match...granted not like they would at home but these would be home matches for them.  For us, every match would be an away match.  Plus, we have had much better support in the recent past than previously and have on occasion used our cold climate to our advantage.

So if two legs are maintained, it would be therefore like comparing two home matches (of Canadian like quality) for the central american side versus two away matches for us; versus in a normal situation, one real home match for them with all that craziness against one home match for us perhaps in a cold conditions.  I think its debatable which one is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, An Observer said:

hmmm.  Not sure.  If the neutral venue is in the states (which it likely would be), they would enjoy home support for every match...granted not like they would at home but these would be home matches for them.  For us, every match would be an away match.  Plus, we have had much better support in the recent past than previously and have on occasion used our cold climate to our advantage.

So if two legs are maintained, it would be therefore like comparing two home matches (of Canadian like quality) for the central american side versus two away matches for us; versus in a normal situation, one real home match for them with all that craziness against one home match for us perhaps in a cold conditions.  I think its debatable which one is better.

Fair enough.

Assuming fans will be allowed to attend, which remains uncertain, it is true the USA and other central american teams would have fan support. Maybe we get some snowbirds out if it is in Florida as rumored, but I would not count on it. So yes, we would be at a disadvantage from that perspective.

However, I would still argue this disadvantage would not be any worse than a typical Gold Cup.

There would be no travel to Honduras or Panama, no fans throwing objects onto the field, no parties outside of the hotel late at night, etc. I think you could make the argument that even a not-so-neutral Florida is better than 1 game home and away. Even with the cold weather our home advantage is not so great, at least in comparison with what we deal with playing away in world cup qualifying. The poor results speak for themselves. How often have we qualified for the top-6 Hexagonal?

By comparison, we are 5th in the all-time Gold Cup table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Gold_Cup

By the way, do you think they would actually do two legs in this scenario? What is the main advantage of doing so with no home or away games? Perhaps a Gold Cup style is more likely?

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I agreed with Obinna’s point about neutral vs home/away. And it is true that we typically do better in Gold Cups than World Cup Qualifying. But I do paradoxically think we are gaining a home field advantage.

Record in our last 17 competitive home field games, dating back to October 2008:

12 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss.

Wins against Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts, Panama, Cuba x2, Dominica x2, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, French Guiana, USA. 8 of those wins are against relatively weak competition. Panama, Honduras, El Salvador, and USA are solid to very good competition.

Draws against Mexico, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Costa Rica. That’s one great team, 2 good teams and one weak team.

The one loss was to Mexico.

So maybe 4-3-1 against good competition is a good way to look at those numbers. We just need to turn more of those draws to wins, but we are getting there!

Edited by Kent
weakness changed to weak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada if they qualify and a very, very big if very big if but a hypothetical starting 11 at least for 2022 for me would look like this:

GK- Milan Borjan (35 years old)

LB- Sam Adekugbe (27 years old)

CB- Derek Cornelius (25 years old)

CB- Amer Didic (27 years old)

RB- Zachary Brault-Guillard (23 years old)

DM- Samuel Piette (28 years old)

CM- Scott Arfield (34 years old) (captain)

CM- Jonathan Osorio (30 years old)

AM- Alphonso Davies (22 years old)

LS- Jonathan David (22 years old)

RS- Cyle Larin (27 years old)

 

(Traditional 4-4-2 formation if Qatar 2022 started and Canada was in it, then this would be my lineup

 

Substitutes

GK- Maxime Crepeau, Dayne St Clair

LB- Liam Fraser, Doneil Henry, Kamal Miller, Callum Montgomery

RB- Richie Laryea

DM- Stephen Eustaquio 

CM- Noble Okello, Mark Anthony Kaye 

AM- Ryan Raposo

Striker- Lucas Cavallini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, neuker said:

I'd love to see that Canadian line-up take on the Netherlands in their opening group match of the Qatar World Cup.

Jasper Cillessen (Valencia)

Kevin Strootman (Olympique Marseille)

Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus)

Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)

Daley Blind (Ajax)

Donny van der Beek (Ajax)

Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona)

Marten de Roon (Atalanta Bergamo)

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

Memphis Depay (Lyon)

Donyell Malen (PSV)

Canada would crush the Netherlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Canada would crush the Netherlands.

I doubt it especially with Netherlands' current team...Canada would get destroyed easily...that Netherlands is loaded with talent all across the board

 

Canada if they get to Qatar very big if, Canada wouldn't be able to beat the big teams especially the teams that have quality but at best Canada would probably get a draw if they are lucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TGAA_Star said:

I doubt it especially with Netherlands' current team...Canada would get destroyed easily...that Netherlands is loaded with talent all across the board

 

Canada if they get to Qatar very big if, Canada wouldn't be able to beat the big teams especially the teams that have quality but at best Canada would probably get a draw if they are lucky

No way, considering the Netherlands current team,  Canada would destroy them easily. Canada has way more talent across the board. 

When Canada gets to Qatar they'll definitely be able to beat the big teams, especially the teams that have quality but at worst Canada would get a draw, no doubt about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No way, considering the Netherlands current team,  Canada would destroy them easily. Canada has way more talent across the board. 

When Canada gets to Qatar they'll definitely be able to beat the big teams, especially the teams that have quality but at worst Canada would get a draw, no doubt about it.

Getting to Qatar is a very big if.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No way, considering the Netherlands current team,  Canada would destroy them easily. Canada has way more talent across the board. 

When Canada gets to Qatar they'll definitely be able to beat the big teams, especially the teams that have quality but at worst Canada would get a draw, no doubt about it.

That confident in Canada especially if they went up against world class teams like France, Germany, Portugal, Croatia, Argentina, Brazil, etc. let's be realistic here but let's just see if they even get to Qatar

 

If they can even qualify out of CONCACAF, then that will definitely be something but Canada's ranking in CONCACAF at the moment right now isn't exactly helping them in terms of position because if the Hex were still a thing, Canada wouldn't even be in it

 

But then again Vic said they may even expand on CONCACAF qualifying but that even remains to be seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No way, considering the Netherlands current team,  Canada would destroy them easily. Canada has way more talent across the board. 

When Canada gets to Qatar they'll definitely be able to beat the big teams, especially the teams that have quality but at worst Canada would get a draw, no doubt about it.

Canada is going up because they have confident but Netherlands is going down even with players at big clubs but what do you think the score would be? I think for Canada they will score more goals with Davies at AM which is his best position, but David will score too from LS because if he moved to Lyon for playing time he will get more minutes and Depay would move to the bench, which is Netherlands biggest threat because of his consistence at Lyon and Manchester United, but let`s say they play I still think Canada wins because players like Jonathan David are become more total football and Netherlands is not really total football anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Canada is going up because they have confident but Netherlands is going down even with players at big clubs but what do you think the score would be? I think for Canada they will score more goals with Davies at AM which is his best position, but David will score too from LS because if he moved to Lyon for playing time he will get more minutes and Depay would move to the bench, which is Netherlands biggest threat because of his consistence at Lyon and Manchester United, but let`s say they play I still think Canada wins because players like Jonathan David are become more total football and Netherlands is not really total football anymore. 

💯🔥👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, neuker said:

I'd love to see that Canadian line-up take on the Netherlands in their opening group match of the Qatar World Cup.

Jasper Cillessen (Valencia)

Kevin Strootman (Olympique Marseille)

Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus)

Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)

Daley Blind (Ajax)

Donny van der Beek (Ajax)

Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona)

Marten de Roon (Atalanta Bergamo)

Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)

Memphis Depay (Lyon)

Donyell Malen (PSV)

Big assumption that Netherlands makes it to Qatar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Canada is going up because they have confident but Netherlands is going down even with players at big clubs but what do you think the score would be? I think for Canada they will score more goals with Davies at AM which is his best position, but David will score too from LS because if he moved to Lyon for playing time he will get more minutes and Depay would move to the bench, which is Netherlands biggest threat because of his consistence at Lyon and Manchester United, but let`s say they play I still think Canada wins because players like Jonathan David are become more total football and Netherlands is not really total football anymore. 

Okay but even so Netherlands have a top defense especially for Canada to even think of or to even try to penetrate a Netherlands backline of Van Dijk and De Ligt...not gonna happen

Canada wouldn't even be able to beat the world Champions France or don't even get me started on squads like Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Switzerland, England even, Portugal, Uruguay, Croatia, Belgium, etc I could go on and on

Canada if they got back to the World Cup...if they get back in 2022, their first in 36 years...I can't see the Group Draw being kind to Canada especially when they do the televised Final Group Draw

Canada if they get to Qatar very big if, best they could hope for is ending up in a favorable group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At best Canada would have to play friendlies with these teams before the World Cup, assuming they qualify and in the lead up to Qatar if they play friendlies it should be interesting to see who Canada would face in friendly matches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada can beat any team with Nike as their jersey sponsor, even Netherlands who have had Nike as their sponsor for a while so the power of the Nike jersey is wearing off but has recently got the Nike jersey so I think they would win in the end, but what about Ghana their sponsor is Puma so it would be interesting if they played a friendly tournament before Qatar, but I think it would be 1. Canada 2. Netherlands 3. Ghana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Canada can beat any team with Nike as their jersey sponsor, even Netherlands who have had Nike as their sponsor for a while so the power of the Nike jersey is wearing off but has recently got the Nike jersey so I think they would win in the end, but what about Ghana their sponsor is Puma so it would be interesting if they played a friendly tournament before Qatar, but I think it would be 1. Canada 2. Netherlands 3. Ghana.

It’s so true. I hadn’t considered the power of Nike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Canada can beat any team with Nike as their jersey sponsor, even Netherlands who have had Nike as their sponsor for a while so the power of the Nike jersey is wearing off but has recently got the Nike jersey so I think they would win in the end, but what about Ghana their sponsor is Puma so it would be interesting if they played a friendly tournament before Qatar, but I think it would be 1. Canada 2. Netherlands 3. Ghana.

I think Canada will benefit from being a football power in CONCACAF because of the CPL helping Canada becoming a football power in CONCACAF from its creation. I think the expansion to 48 teams in 2026 will help though because even though I think Canada won't be football power by then I think the CPL could help it be a football power in CONCACAF by 2026 which is the year the World Cup with 48 teams happens. It would be interesting if the CPL helps create interest from countries who would maybe play us in friendlies like Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Switzerland, England even, Portugal, Uruguay, Croatia, Belgium, etc I could go on and on but maybe the CPL could help Canada to even think of or to even try to penetrate a France backline of Varane (Real Madrid )and Umtiti (Barcelona) in Qatar 2022 if the CPL helps us become a football power in CONCACAF

Edited by Bdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we all have to remember is that gold cup qualifying and the nations league finals will both be played within the next year. That makes the timeframe even tighter. But I do feel confident we will either see a September window or this mega 8 game window in the late fall. The return of the Bundesliga and hopefully the epl makes me a little optimistic. Hopefully once they decide the schedule the new format comes quickly after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alex said:

What we all have to remember is that gold cup qualifying and the nations league finals will both be played within the next year. That makes the timeframe even tighter. But I do feel confident we will either see a September window or this mega 8 game window in the late fall. The return of the Bundesliga and hopefully the epl makes me a little optimistic. Hopefully once they decide the schedule the new format comes quickly after. 

Unless they combine Nations League somehow with Gold Cup qualifying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Unless they combine Nations League somehow with Gold Cup qualifying

I guess you can do both at the same time, but you’re still losing multiple windows since qualifying has 2 rounds still to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...