Binky

The Road to Qatar.

lets make a realistic qualiying tournament for canada to qualify:

Round 1 - Top a group of USVI Puerto Rico and Guyana (90%)

Round 2 - Beat Guatemala home and away (70%)

Round 3 - Beat Jamaica home and away (50%)

Round 4 - Beat Panama home and away (40%)

Round 5 - Beat Costa Rica home and away (30%)

Round 6 - Beat Uraguay home and away (20%)

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO imagine..... i wouldnt even get excited about winning a world cup qualifier until like round 5

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No because fighting the 4th place HEX team and the team from AFC/OFC/CONMEBOL would be harder.

This format is a ******* disgrace to the principles of football; and equal opportunity for the small teams to fight their way to the top.

Shame on CONCACAF.

Ah, now that I have had a coffee.... I mistakenly thought the fourth spot was a full spot.... not a path to sacrifice in Peru or wherever. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, admin said:

Ah, now that I have had a coffee.... I mistakenly thought the fourth spot was a full spot.... not a path to sacrifice in Peru or wherever. 

I would pay to see Canada sacrificed to Peru in WCQ match.  Like to see what Davies, Cavallini, and David can do against them in Lima.  If Canada are to get better, playing against CONMEBOL competition would help put a bar that they need to reach

Edited by nolbertos

If we are serious about making the world cup, we NEED to make the Hex.  Otherwise we are surely heading for an intercontinental playoff against South America 5th place which is virtually impossible for us to win.

There is no "draw" for the playoff against Conmebol.  There is a pattern.  In the last 4 cycles, South America has "drawn" the following:

2006 Oceania

2010 Concacaf

2014 Asia

2018 Oceania

Can anyone guess who South America will "draw" this time around?????

Again, if we have any desire to actually qualify for Qatar, we need to make the Hex.  The only way to make the Hex is to beat the Americans at home and tie them away. 

Our World Cup Qualifying starts and ends this fall in a do or die playoff against the US.  That's just the way it is.

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No because fighting the 4th place HEX team and the team from AFC/OFC/CONMEBOL would be harder.

This format is a ******* disgrace to the principles of football; and the idea of an equal opportunity for the small teams to fight their way to the top.

Shame on CONCACAF.

So that could be Panama and then New Zealand?   Theoretically, we could end up having the easiest WCQ route in history.

Of course it could also be Mexico and Argentina.. but I just like our chances in avoiding round robin in Central America period.

just imagine rolling through minnows then beating Trinidad, curacao maybe and then onto Panama and New Zealand.  All aggregate matches.

Posted (edited)

The next FIFA rankings are scheduled to come out July 25. If we're gunning for that 6th spot in the rankings a year from now, in the FIFA points calculation, friendlies played during the international window have an importance factor of 10, Nations League group matches are 15, and Nations League playoff matches are 25. We need some big results against the US that would win us the group and get us into the Nations League playoffs.

Say the current rankings held and El Salvador got that 6th spot, you could see Panama, Haiti, Curacao, and us being the 4 teams that are trying to win the other side of qualifying. I'd like to think we have a good chance to come out of that as the winner, but who knows. It would be a very interesting rematch if it came down to us against Haiti in a home and away to win that side of qualifying.

What a marathon of games it is to try and get that .5 spot. So you win the non-Hex side of the qualification, you get the 4th place team from the Hex, and then if you get by that, you get one of South America, Asia, or Oceania. So much rests on the intercontinental playoff draw and whoever is picking a ball out of a bowl. I wonder how soon we know who CONCACAF gets paired with in the intercontinental playoff. If it's CONMEBOL, you'd rather be 6th in the June 2020 rankings and try to get one of the top 3 Hex spots. If it's CONCACAF with New Zealand or Asia, you'd rather go through the marathon qualifying route. Play through all the minnows and the mid-tier teams so that you could get the 4th place team from the Hex, then you'd have New Zealand or Asia as your final hurdle.

Edited by jtpc

Posted (edited)

I like it!

And I'll tell you why

1) we're guaranteed to be playing qualifiers right up to the end. That means more time and experience for our young core(best young core in Concacaf) & more important matches on Canadian soil

2) unless you are absolutely convinced we would finish top 3 in the old method. What's the difference? If we can't prove ourselves between CNL and everything else.  We don't deserve top 4 regardless the format.

3) sure we can take a gut punch along the way but guess who else has a gut that can be punched? Everyone 

I boldly predict El Salvador will not win their group b. Panama has to play Mexico twice. There are banana peels everywhere for everyone 

USA at BMO... just....got.....really.....really.....really...real...really...really...real fast

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

We played 3 games in the past two years in official matches against non Fifa opponents. as a result we had ZERO chance of getting rankings points when other teams got 3 times the amount of rankings points. how the hell is that fair

Spilled milk... c'mon snap out of it. Bullets are flying, people are dying

20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

@BrennanFan it’s a draw and it’s on tv, no? It’s not just a cycle of continental playoffs... we have a 1/3 chance of getting conmebol.

Its fixed every time.  The drawn ball is cold to the touch, that's how it gets picked.  This was exposed in a news report like 5 years ago, and nobody seems to care.  This is FIFA we are talking about.

The only way this makes sense from a Canada perspective, is if Vic Mont has already made the deals for Concacaf to avoid South America this time around. If so, he has given us the best and easiest chance to make the World Cup ever.

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Its fixed every time.  The drawn ball is cold to the touch, that's how it gets picked.  This was exposed in a news report like 5 years ago, and nobody seems to care.  This is FIFA we are talking about.

The only way this makes sense from a Canada perspective, is if Vic Mont has already made the deals for Concacaf to avoid South America this time around. If so, he has given us the best and easiest chance to make the World Cup ever.

I thought they make little kids reach in and grab the balls?

Posted (edited)

This format would be more acceptable if the teams outside the hex were competing for one full spot, not a half spot. 

IF it was a full spot at least you are guaranteeing teams outside of the confederations top 6, a world cup spot. But as it stand you may just be throwing them to the wolves in a tough intercontinental playoff. 

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I thought they make little kids reach in and grab the balls?

Concacaf did that for the first time in the Nations League draw due to the "cold ball scandal", in order to preserve optics of fairness.

I very much doubt children will be doing the preliminary draw for the World Cup and the Intercontinental playoffs.

Posted (edited)

Imagine we won the group stage/knockout phase side of the qualification and Honduras finished 4th in the Hex.

I honestly can't decide what emoji to put with that, so I'm just going to leave it blank.

Edited by jtpc

From the looks of things. Only 2 CONCACAF teams we can really schedule that would be interesting for FIFA points for the October and November windows: Panama and Curaçao. If CSA is serious about making the hex, they'd try to get those matchups going. (Both are possible, and Panama has said that they're looking at friendlies and looking at teams they can get that are playing a CNL match at a same time they could face earlier or later depending on the window, those are the two CONCACAF teams that make sense.

For this to work the top 2 in the hex should be guaranteed a spot and then the 3rd place spot is contested between the winner of the tournament and the 3rd place hex teams. And then the fourth place team plays the runner up in the tournament for the intercontinental playoff spot. Otherwise imo there’s to little for the 7th to 35th place teams to play for.