The Road to Qatar.

Binky

12 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

What's in it for for those teams? They're not going to agree to a game knowing the stakes.

A chance to solidify their point-lead over one of their nearest rivals. Panama looks like the most likely candidate at this time, because they currently sit in 7th place in the FIFA/Coca-Cola CONCACAF rankings, one place ahead of Canada. Based on the previous two World Cup cycles we know that the Panamanian Football Federation takes World Cup qualifying and preparation very seriously. They will come if the CSA is willing to negotiate fairly.  

Edited by Binky

7 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

They have everything to lose and nothing to gain.  

Wrong. Panama has to move up at least one spot. In Nations League play, they are in a similar position as Canada. They have to play against Mexico and Bermuda, while we have to take on the U.S.A. and Cuba. Being that Panama is only 8 points ahead of Canada, a victory for us should move Canada ahead of Panama, while a victory for Panama would increase their point lead over us as well as close the gap between Panama and El Salvador, who will be getting lots of points in September and October.

Edited by Binky

9 minutes ago, Binky said:

Wrong. Panama has to move up at least one spot. In Nations League play, they are in a similar position as Canada. They have to play against Mexico and Bermuda, while we have to take on the U.S.A. and Cuba. Being that Panama is only 8 points ahead of Canada, a victory for us should move Canada ahead of Panama, while a victory for Panama would increase their point lead over us as well as close the gap between Panama and El Salvador, who will be getting lots of points in September and October.

I was talking about the other 3 teams.  You edited your post after

So there’s a preliminary round to get 29 down to 8. Simultaneously there’s a hex going on. Then those 8 play down to get to 4, then 2, then the winner plays the hex 4th place?

Has this turned into concacaf champions league now? 

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I was talking about the other 3 teams.  You edited your post after

So you agree there's something in it for Panama, right? We are on the same side, right?

Edited by Binky

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

So there’s a preliminary round to get 29 down to 8. Simultaneously there’s a hex going on. Then those 8 play down to get to 4, then 2, then the winner plays the hex 4th place?

Has this turned into concacaf champions league now? 

Is there anyone here who isn't confused? All we want is a map that clearly shows the Road to Qatar. Is that too much to ask for from the president of CONCACAF?

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Journalist on twitter says this format is not yet approved by FIFA.  Hopefully somebody stops it

Let's hope, the other 'archaic system', is looking a million times better now. 

I don't think this rumored format would have been bad per say, but because of the lack of reasonable notice plus 100 other factors, I hope Fifa realize the lack of 'fair play' and block it.

Edited by apbsmith

50 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Status quo is more likely than this format

With everything I’ve read over the last few years I can almost guarantee this IS the format. Vic wants more members to play more games and this ensures it (and not be eliminated early). He also wants to cut down the number of qualifying games due to nations league and keep the hex because of the USA- Mexico cash cow games. This accomplishes all of the above. Look at the different formats concacaf has toyed with for u20, etc. This isn’t surprising, everything was pointing to a vastly different format but on the other hand they kept the hex. 

Do we all know who Mr. Chip is?  He is a well respected journalist/statistician from Spain.  Yesterday, at about the same time ESPN Deportes leaked the news, he tweeted this:

He says he has the Concacaf qualifying format, its innovative and original.  Another tweet said he will be releasing a video in less than 48 hours explaining the format.  Then, someone called him out on being beat to the news by ESPN Deportes, to which he replied: 

"When you see the complete video you will understand it's not like that.  They haven't told you the half of it." 

Edited by BrennanFan

The first part of the Concacaf qualifiers, which will be played in a Hexagonal format, will be contested between the top six ranked Concacaf Member Associations based on the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020. After home-and-away round robin play during the FIFA Match windows of September, October and November of 2020 and March and September of 2021, the top three teams will qualify directly to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™. 

The second part of the qualifiers, played across a Group Stage and knockout phase, will involve the Concacaf Member Associations ranked 7-35 according to the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020. For the group stage, these 29 participating Concacaf Member Associations will be divided into eight groups (five groups of four teams and three groups of three teams). After home-and-away round robin play during the FIFA Match windows of September, October and November of 2020, the first-place finishers in each of the eight group will qualify for the knock out stage.

The quarter finals, semifinals and final matches of the knock out phase will all be played in a home-and-away direct elimination format, during the FIFA Match windows of March, June and September 2021.

The winner of the knockout phase will face the fourth-place finisher of the Hexagonal group to determine the Concacaf representative in the FIFA intercontinental playoff. The home-and-away playoff matches between the two Concacaf representatives will take place during the FIFA Match Window of October 2021.

Edited by Ansem

So we should be aiming to be 7th or lower?  Am I crazy thinking that?

We roll over minnows and then play 4th place team from the top group, beat them and hope to avoid CONMEBOL in the playoff.  We have a much better chance at that imo than finishing top 4 against the top 6.

Truly bizarre.  Is this why we are not playing friendlies and why T & T friendly was unofficial?  Suddenly it sort of makes sense, in my mind at least.  Sort of a shady backdoor way to avoid away matches burying us.  We get to play aggregate now.. so we can hopefully pump teams at home and get an away goal or two to put us through. 

Did Don Vic just help us?  This is crazy.  We legit don’t need to worry about any of those teams away it’s soooo sketchy.  This format honestly seems tailor made for us to make the World Cup.  Suddenly the loss to Haiti was an amazing thing... suddenly playing non FIFA nations has been a blessing.  

Lets throw the nations league matches 😂

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So we should be aiming to be 7th or lower?  Am I crazy thinking that?

We roll over minnows and then play 4th place team from the top group, beat them and hope to avoid CONMEBOL in the playoff.  We have a much better chance at that imo than finishing top 4 against the top 6.

Truly bizarre.  Is this why we are not playing friendlies and why T & T friendly was unofficial?  Suddenly it sort of makes sense, in my mind at least.  Sort of a shady backdoor way to avoid away matches burying us.  We get to play aggregate now.. so we can hopefully pump teams at home and get an away goal or two to put us through. 

Did Don Vic just help us?  This is crazy.  We legit don’t need to worry about any of those teams away it’s soooo sketchy.  This format honestly seems tailor made for us to make the World Cup.  Suddenly the loss to Haiti was an amazing thing... suddenly playing non FIFA nations has been a blessing.  

Lets throw the nations league matches 😂

Yeah, I am unsure too.

In either scenario, everyone gets at least a 'shot' at the hex.   Not sure that is a bad thing. 

I think we have a much better shot at coming on top out of the lower tier and beating Honduras/Panama/Jamaica on aggregate than finishing top 3/4 out of Panama, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica in a round robin.  If you finish 4th you are in the same exact spot anyway but 5/6 you’re toast. 

Thats the summation of my thinking on this. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

16 minutes ago, admin said:

Yeah, I am unsure too.

In either scenario, everyone gets at least a 'shot' at the hex.   Not sure that is a bad thing. 

You’re right.  I mean, even if we are top 6 we’re starting in the Hex so not much to complain about.  Either way this eliminates the dreaded 3rd round, which was our ultimate issue.

Its an aggregate scenario and I don’t like those odds away.  Canada should beat the Bahamas, Cuba and Martinique’s of the world, but in the quarter-final and semi-final round, we’ll be facing the Haiti’s, T & T, Curacao, Panama and if we pass all that, play a home and a way agaist Honduras and Jamaica for the right to play a play-off.  Yeah, don’t like those odds.  Not playing friendlies is sure paying off right Herdman and CSA /s

This is the most insane dumbest competition EVER. For Canada to Qualify..... Finish at the top of a 4 team group? Win a quarter final, semi final, final....Then play the 4th best team in the fake hex. Then we have to beat another playoff??? WE HAVE A 1/116 CHANCE OF QUALIFYING IN THIS FORMAT assuming all games are 50/50. BUT 6 magical teams go into the hex with an over 50% change of qualifying. This is the most unfair competition ever. They divided up CONCACAF into 2 groups. Team 6 gets a 50% chance to qualify, team 7 gets 0.8% chance OMG THIS IS A DISGRACE

Even if we magically are the top team out of 29 teams we dont get to play costa rica, usa, mexico AT ALL to qualify?? WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN.

NO COMPETITION HAS EVER BEEN THIS STUPID 

Edited by canadafan101

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So we should be aiming to be 7th or lower?  Am I crazy thinking that?.....Truly bizarre.

No because fighting the 4th place HEX team and the team from AFC/OFC/CONMEBOL would be harder.

This format is a fucking disgrace to the principles of football; and the idea of an equal opportunity for the small teams to fight their way to the top.

Shame on CONCACAF.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

lets make a realistic qualiying tournament for canada to qualify:

Round 1 - Top a group of USVI Puerto Rico and Guyana (90%)

Round 2 - Beat Guatemala home and away (70%)

Round 3 - Beat Jamaica home and away (50%)

Round 4 - Beat Panama home and away (40%)

Round 5 - Beat Costa Rica home and away (30%)

Round 6 - Beat Uraguay home and away (20%)

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO imagine..... i wouldnt even get excited about winning a world cup qualifier until like round 5

• Admin locked this topic