The Road to Qatar.

Binky

On 1/14/2020 at 12:08 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

http://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cup-qualifying-men/article/concacaf-announces-format-for-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-confederation-qualifiers

"...based on the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020."

According to FIFA, that date is going to be July 16th 2020.

...Just imagine if El Salvador and Canada are within 2 points of each other after June 9th; there could be a mad scramble to find a minnow to play for points on short notice.

It looks like there as been a change!

On 1/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I don't understand this, since there has been a June FIFA publish every year since 2010.

A thing of great relevance to the fortunes of the #CanMNT:

FIFA has added a FIFA rankings release date.
I assume at the request of CONCACAF, they have added a ranking date on June 11th.
http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/

The FIFA international match window is June 1st to 9th
The UEFA EURO and the Copa America start on June 12th
https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/1653-men-s-international-match-calendar-2018-2024.pdf?cloudid=vypxfhb9frfxwu25v23z

Looks like they squeezed a date right in between the two!

So mercifully by June 9th we will know if we make the Hex or not; no last minute minnow-match shenanigans!

7 hours ago, Yoginess said:

If Panama is able to catch us, that very likely means we didn't catch up to ES so it doesn't really matter.

At 27 points behind us, it would take an epic losing streak on our part against several minnows and an epic winning streak against many top teams for them to catch us. Panama is not relevant. Curaçao is not relevant. It is us or (likely) El Salvador.

Panama will play Nicaragua on February 25th:
http://twitter.com/Fenifutnica/status/1229065697541709830

Panama will play Guatemala on March 4th: 
http://www.fepafut.com/noticias/3858/panama-jugara-ante-guatemala-a-inicios-de-marzo

an yes, Panama will play El Salvador on March 27th (the same night we play T&T):
http://www.fepafut.com/noticias/3932/panama-jugara-ante-su-similar-de-el-salvador-el-proximo-27-de-marzo

That last game is hugely important for us. Although both teams don't look like they have any big young names right now, Panama can be at full strength. Like us, El Salvador has to field at U23 squad for Olympic qualifying.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, lenny said:

Can anyone tell me how to access the presale tickets?  It says, " Canada Soccer Insiders " will be able to buy tickets the day before they go on sale to everyone else but no further info is provided.

Sign up for the newsletter on the CSA site, they'll send out the presale details.

1 hour ago, BedBugs said:

In today's brave new soccer world, countries MUST play a number of friendlies on a regular basis in order to maintain a high-enough FIFA/Coca-Cola ranking to have any hope of competing at a level such as the HEX and the World Cup Final.

So is this new FIFA/CONCACAF World Cup qualifying format proving to be a viable concept for cash-strapped national soccer associations like the CSA that want to get ahead? In addition to the costs involved with competing in the Gold Cup competition, the CSA has also recently been forced to absorb the cost of playing an additional number of matches in the new Nation's League competition.

Looking at the attendance figures of the friendlies Canada has played this year in an effort to qualify for the HEX, the financial returns don't look promising at all:

The official attendance for the March 31st, 2020 friendly against Trinidad & Tobago will total less than 100 spectators.

The official attendance for the March 27th, 2020 friendly against Trinidad & Tobago will total at best 6,200 spectators.

The official attendance for the January 15th, 2020 friendly against Iceland totaled 20 spectators.

The official attendance for the January 10th, 2020 friendly against Barbados totaled 5 spectators.

The official attendance for the January 7th, 2020 friendly against Barbados totaled 5 spectators.

The aggregate attendance for these 5 matches would add up to a grand total of 6,330 spectators at best, which is well below the CPL average.

Hadn't thought about it but you're right. CSA is spending big on a longshot. If it works it would be huge though. 

In today's brave new soccer world, countries MUST play a number of friendlies on a regular basis in order to maintain a high-enough FIFA/Coca-Cola ranking to have any hope of competing at a level such as the HEX and the World Cup Final.

So is this new FIFA/CONCACAF World Cup qualifying format proving to be a viable concept for cash-strapped national soccer associations like the CSA that want to get ahead? In addition to the costs involved with competing in the Gold Cup competition, the CSA has also recently been forced to absorb the cost of playing an additional number of matches in the new Nation's League competition.

Looking at the attendance figures of the friendlies Canada has played this year in an effort to qualify for the HEX, the financial returns don't look promising at all:

The official attendance for the March 31st, 2020 friendly against Trinidad & Tobago will total less than 100 spectators.

The official attendance for the March 27th, 2020 friendly against Trinidad & Tobago will total at best 6,200 spectators.

The official attendance for the January 15th, 2020 friendly against Iceland totaled 20 spectators.

The official attendance for the January 10th, 2020 friendly against Barbados totaled 5 spectators.

The official attendance for the January 7th, 2020 friendly against Barbados totaled 5 spectators.

The aggregate attendance for these 5 matches would add up to a grand total of 6,330 spectators at best, which is well below the CPL average.

The csa has been doing this for years- playing friendlies in front of nobody in neutral sites in Europe. Playing New Zealand in Spain, Belarus in Turkey, and more recently Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan In Austria. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

The csa has been doing this for years- playing friendlies in front of nobody in neutral sites in Europe. Playing New Zealand in Spain, Belarus in Turkey, and more recently Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan In Austria. 

I saw our first friendly under Floro in Oliva, near Valencia, Spain, vs. Mauritania. 

I think me and my son were the only Canada fans there. There were about 35 Mauritanians, including the ambassador. Then, because the camp was a big one, there were about 10 Canucks not dressed for the match.

The best part of that game was that the reffing was very good!

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Sign up for the newsletter on the CSA site, they'll send out the presale details.

Thanks.  I already receive the newsletter.  Is the info in the newsletters or sent out separately?   Looking through my mail from Canada Soccer I don't seem to have received any presale info from them for previous games.

Just now, lenny said:

Thanks.  I already receive the newsletter.  Is the info in the newsletters or sent out separately?   Looking through my mail from Canada Soccer I don't seem to have received any presale info from them for previous games.

I have no idea, I assume they'll send out a newsletter ahead of the game with ticketing info.

It is a sad day indeed  

It is a sad day indeed when Robert returns but STILL FEELS THE NEED TO COPY PASTE ENTIRE TABLES ON THE FORUM! It is bad etiquette. The formatting is dreadful. Just stop. It isn't necessary to make your point. Use some esthetic discretion please.

Just find it so strange if it’s true that the second game versus T&T will be behind close doors. Both teams are already in town your playing at a small stadium so demand will be pretty high compared to supply. Therefore, make the second game open to the public also I’m sure they wouldn’t have a problem getting a decent crowd for the second game for all the people who could not get tickets to the first game. Has to be more to this for having the second game  behind close doors , because I’m pretty sure that second could also be a sellout or close to it.

Edited by SoccMan

11 minutes ago, BedBugs said:

Living in Victoria, I take this personally. This is the FIRST TIME EVER that the CANADIAN MEN's NATIONAL TEAM will play an official friendly in an empty stadium in Canada! I don't think that the CSA would ever pull a stunt like this in a city like Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton or Vancouver.

Weren’t you banned for going off? I remember there being a whole lot Nazi imagery being posted.

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Just find it so strange if it’s true that the second game versus T&T will be behind close doors. Both teams are already in town your playing at a small stadium so demand will be pretty high compared to supply. Therefore, make the second game open to the public also I’m sure they wouldn’t have a problem getting a decent crowd for the second game for all the people who could not get tickets to the first game. Has to be more to this for having the second game  behind close doors , because I’m pretty sure that second could also be a sellout or close to it.

I heard that they're  going to open the second game up to the public if the first one sells out.

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Who benefits from the second game being played behind closed doors?

Canada MNT? No.

The CSA? Probably not.

T&T? Yes.

If anyone pushed for this game to be played behind closed doors, you'd think it would be Trinidad and not us. However, the CSA has done some strange things before, so who really knows, but you'd think they'd want a stadium full of fans for both games. At the same time, I struggle to come up with a reason why T&T would care to have a closed-door, aside from the fact that it would be easier for them to play in an empty stadium. 

The thing that makes the most sense would be that Canada Soccer feels they cannot sell out both games. Maybe they want to see how sales go for the first one. But on the other hand, wouldn't a half-filled stadium be better than closed-door? 

I want to know what the logic is behind this.

Edit: should have waited a few more seconds to see what @SkuseisLoose posted before I posted this. If that is the case I can see the logic at least.

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Can anyone advise on what the point implications are for the two games against T&T, and the Panama vs El Salvador game?

Go a few pages back and @Kyle_The_Hill posted it. If we win both games we get 7.5 points and if Panama beats El Salvador, El Salvador loses 5.4 points 

Someone earlier suggested that this might be a request from T&T in order to not be subject to two home games in a row as a closed door match is more like playing of neutral grounds.  I feel like this might make sense.

Other potential reason is they are scared if the open up both games that they will split the crowd therefore they will focus on a sellout for the first game before opening up the second.

6 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Someone earlier suggested that this might be a request from T&T in order to not be subject to two home games in a row as a closed door match is more like playing of neutral grounds.  I feel like this might make sense.

Other potential reason is they are scared if the open up both games that they will split the crowd therefore they will focus on a sellout for the first game before opening up the second.

I think we all need to relax a little.  This is obviously the case.  It sucks for us, but it does make sense for both parties. 

- CANMNT isn't exactly rolling in cash.  It saves them a trip and the expense for the away game.

- CANMNT gets a home game

- T&T gets a game on neutral ground

Why would T&T sign up for two away games against the same team if there was no possible benefit for them?  Considering the options, it does make sense and is pretty fair.

Heres another angle, if the stadium had 20,000+ seats you need more time to sell those seats. By selling the first game only and it selling out at an attendance of 6200+, it is basically free advertising for the second game which they can open to the public immediately. Since it’s a smaller stadium it won’t be hard to sell that many tickets in a couple days. 

• Admin locked this topic