The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I agree, but if a sold out game is 6200 fans we could lose money yes. 

Can’t imagine this could be true. If it’s a 6200 capacity, concessions/security, etc would be cheaper than at a huge stadium as well. So yeah you’re making less than at a huge stadium but you should still make profit if your costs are lower. 

I agree with you guys, it shouldn’t lose money, I’m simply suggesting a theory that maybe friendlies in Canada don’t make any money or even lose money if there aren’t X amount of fans. I’m positive I’ve heard that idea on here before, which is why we don’t have many home friendlies and also why we cater to opposition fan bases. 

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

I agree with you guys, it shouldn’t lose money, I’m simply suggesting a theory that maybe friendlies in Canada don’t make any money or even lose money if there aren’t X amount of fans. I’m positive I’ve heard that idea on here before, which is why we don’t have many home friendlies and also why we cater to opposition fan bases. 

I'll bet Langford is doing that deal, perhaps with Pacific FC, to promote the facility and the club before the season starts. So it's a warmup for the CPL, and could help with fan interest, new STHs. Which would perhaps mean some of the costs are minimal or covered.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yes.. so let’s reward the fact we haven’t had a home friendly match in 3 years with “let’s just be happy!”.  2022 here we come. 

I mean.. does anyone really care about having friendlies on home soil? Sure we want them but if it was anything other than this messed up situation where friends are our WCQ I don't think anyone would really bat an eye if this was played in Canada, T&T, or the US.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

The difference being that when people are posing that argument they are including costs like appearance fees for the opponent, and flying players to the game. Everyone is already going to be there so there are no additional expenses other than paying staff in the stadium. You probably would only have to sell about 100 tickets (number pulled out of my rear) to make up the pay for the stadium staff.

8 minutes ago, BedBugs said:

It appears that Panama is making a late run at the final HEX spot if the following information on Wikipedia turns out to be correct:

25 February 2020Friendly Nicaragua 23px-Flag_of_Nicaragua.svg.png v 23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama
Managua, Nicaragua
26 March 2020Friendly Curaçao 23px-Flag_of_Cura%C3%A7ao.svg.png v 23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama

30 March 2020Friendly Thailand 23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png v 23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama
Songkhla, Thailand

This doesn’t make much sense. Playing the 27 and 28th back to back then flying to Thailand? No way.

Edited by archer21
Someone beat me to it. Thailand game is cancelled. Still don’t see them playing 26th and 27th

31 minutes ago, BedBugs said:

It appears that Panama is making a late run at the final HEX spot if the following information on Wikipedia turns out to be correct:

25 February 2020Friendly Nicaragua 23px-Flag_of_Nicaragua.svg.png v 23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama
Managua, Nicaragua
26 March 2020Friendly Curaçao 23px-Flag_of_Cura%C3%A7ao.svg.png v 23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama

30 March 2020Friendly Thailand 23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png v 23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png Panama
Songkhla, Thailand

To the points guys on the board - should we be happy or sad about this?  Panama making a real run means they will bring a good squad and be looking for the win away in El Salvador. On the other hand, should we be concerned if they win all four matches? 

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

To the points guys on the board - should we be happy or sad about this?  Panama making a real run means they will bring a good squad and be looking for the win away in El Salvador. On the other hand, should we be concerned if they win all four matches? 

They’re 27 points behind us, they ain’t catching up. 

Stating the obvious, whether we make the Hex or not, its good we are playing meaningful friendlies as this team needs to learn to gel as a unit, develop a cohesive yet flexible defensive shape.  Backing in and just making the Hex is not enough - we need to be ready for the expected adversity - both paths will be difficult , so very glad - even if we lose games in the short run and don't make the hex, more important to keep in mind,  the long run we need to get better as a team ...

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

They’re 27 points behind us, they ain’t catching up. 

Agreed, winning 2 out of window matches won’t do much for them. All 4 of those wins will get them maybe 14 points or something. Assuming we win our matches we’ll still have a healthy lead. And if we don’t win our matches we aren’t catching ES anyways so it doesn’t matter.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The rumour was a tournament in Qatar right?

Croatia, Portugal, Belgium and Switzerland.

Yea, that is confirmed now so none of those teams are coming to north america. Initial rumors were those teams were coming to the east coast of north america.

4 hours ago, trc2014 said:

This is great! They'll try to beat El Salvador. If Panama is able to catch us, that very likely means we didn't catch up to ES so it doesn't really matter.

• Admin locked this topic