Jump to content
Binky

The Road to Qatar.

Recommended Posts

I’m amazed it took ES this long to realize the optimal strategy. I’m guessing they were balancing that against stronger revenue matches but it’s been painfully obvious since the qualification format was announced that all they have to do is beat a bunch of minnows to hold us off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I’m amazed it took ES this long to realize the optimal strategy. I’m guessing they were balancing that against stronger revenue matches but it’s been painfully obvious since the qualification format was announced that all they have to do is beat a bunch of minnows to hold us off.

Yes, but El Salvador is a team that has recently lost to Bermuda (1-0), Dominican Republic (1-0). They got smashed by an already eliminated Honduras 4-0 at the gold cup and struggled in 3 games versus Montserrat. In 2 games against Montserrat they needed injury time goals to win them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I know and it is possible, just seems unlikely. Also:

image.png.a913842c05d92da1485cddab6c986631.png

What would we gain by beating Trinidad and Tobago and then Costa Rica?

Trinidad are going to play two friendlies in March but their opponents have not been announced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqEZHooSCE

Good chance one of those games is us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What would we gain by beating Trinidad and Tobago and then Costa Rica?

Trinidad are going to play two friendlies in March but their opponents have not been announced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqEZHooSCE

Good chance one of those games is us!

Obviously 6 for Costa Rica and about 4 for Trinidad. I’m sure Kyle can give more accurate number but he posted a couple pages back that they’d be 4 points when rounded to the nearest integer.

Edited by archer21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MtlMario said:

If I'm reading this right....... we also play Greece on March 26. ( playing on Vancouver island)

 The conference will be today in Langford. This may indicate that the friendly match takes place at Westhills Stadium. It was time to use the CPI stadiums. Hopefully they are 2 or 3 friendly matches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

 The conference will be today in Langford. This may indicate that the friendly match takes place at Westhills Stadium. It was time to use the CPI stadiums. Hopefully they are 2 or 3 friendly matches

It will be there. By process of elimination as established in this thread, opponent will be a CONCACAF team.

So 

Costa Rica

Curacao

Haiti

Trinidad

http://www.canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=project&sid=1343

Also possible but highly unlikely are Antigua, Panama or Honduras.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 7.6 if we win both, which will get us half way. But with El Salvador looking to just play minnows outside of Panama, unless Panama beats them in March, we ain’t catching them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BuzzAndSting

Yeah, thanks, I did see that tweet, but the project ID page on Soccer Canada's website has no info and Canada Soccer's poster only mentions the game on the 27th.  It's a short window to organize folks is all.  We brought 27 over to Vancouver for the French Guiana game, so I'm wondering if we can get a lot more for this game given that it's in town.  Westhills is going to fill up fast, though, I think.

Edited by shorty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Was anything said about the strength of the squad to expect? 

Looks like David and Davies will be there.

On the Trinidad side, they got a new coach 2 months ago. He is obviously looking to rectify their massive losing streak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y5vZM0Wk7w

 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Was anything said about the strength of the squad to expect? 

Playing Trinidad twice, sounds like we can leave some of the younger guys with the Olympic team.
Like Kamal or Derek for Didic, Jackovic, Waterman, Zator, sheeit even Edgar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Was anything said about the strength of the squad to expect? 

If they are showing Davies, David and Cavallini in the promo poster they better be bringing the strongest squad possible!

Edit: Promo poster:

 

Edited by narduch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...