The Road to Qatar.

Binky

6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Was anything said about the strength of the squad to expect? 

Looks like David and Davies will be there.

On the Trinidad side, they got a new coach 2 months ago. He is obviously looking to rectify their massive losing streak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y5vZM0Wk7w

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

17 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Was anything said about the strength of the squad to expect? 

Playing Trinidad twice, sounds like we can leave some of the younger guys with the Olympic team.
Like Kamal or Derek for Didic, Jackovic, Waterman, Zator, sheeit even Edgar

48 minutes ago, Shway said:

Playing Trinidad twice, sounds like we can leave some of the younger guys with the Olympic team.
Like Kamal or Derek for Didic, Jackovic, Waterman, Zator, sheeit even Edgar

Young guys ... are Miller and Cornelius even eligible for the Olympic team? The others aren't 

Edit: I missed the key work "for" in that sentence

Edited by Aird25

2 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

So 7.6 if we win both, which will get us half way. But with El Salvador looking to just play minnows outside of Panama, unless Panama beats them in March, we ain’t catching them. 

Yeah pretty much. If they get a win and a draw they’ll get about 2 points (assuming 2 wins gets them 7 like they said) though which gets us within 9 points. Would make it so that we could still catch them, especially if we play a couple out of window matches. ES would at least have to play a couple more minnows and have another chance to slip up again.

15 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Great that we got 2 friendlies in a fifa window, weird that it will be against the same team. Hopefully attendance holds up

That may be why they’re just advertising the first game.  Drive demand as it will be “rarer” and then drop it on the fans that they can come back in 4 days.  Obviously the hardcores will be buying tickets to both matches regardless.

Will be interesting to see the MNT play with that camera angle... 😂

Edited by CanadaFan123

Are they actually doing both games in Victoria?  That seems a little odd, since they're playing the same team.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there's a game not in Vancouver or Toronto.  It would just make some sense to do the first in Victoria and the second in Vancouver/Burnaby, since I think sales for the 2nd game are going to be much weaker.

Answer from a T and T article:

”Note: Langford is a city on southern Vancouver Island in the province of British Columbia, Canada. A second full international between both teams will be played in this same FIFA international window but will not be opened to the public.”

Article:

https://socawarriors.net/senior-team-news/22451-trinidad-and-tobago-to-face-canada-in-a-friendly-on-march-27th.html

I wonder if they are playing ES’ game: ie depending on results maybe they’ll cancel it or redesignate it a “training game”. If you commit to an open game with tickets sold you wouldn’t have that flexibility. Just spitballing though. I don’t really get it either. If you’re bringing the big guns halfway round the world you should feel that two wins are attainable and go for it. Plus bring in some more revenue as you say. I’d go to both games and I’m sure lots would.  We’re used to having to travel off the island to see the MNT. Twice in a week AND sleep in your own bed, plus see them close up at Westhills? Come on. 

It’s possible they will lose money having 2 friendlies with fans. Because capacity is 6200 or so, you can only make so much money. By having a second game that’s closed door there’s less cost for concessions/ washrooms, cleaning staff, ticket staff, etc. Plus I’m assuming we’re paying a fee to Trinidad? 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s possible they will lose money having 2 friendlies with fans. Because capacity is 6200 or so, you can only make so much money. By having a second game that’s closed door there’s less cost for concessions/ washrooms, cleaning staff, ticket staff, etc. Plus I’m assuming we’re paying a fee to Trinidad? 

Something is very wrong if we lose money on sold out games

If T&T were still in the Hex race I would speculate that perhaps it was part of the deal to have a closed door game so that Canada doesn't get the home crowd advantage twice, but even that is grasping at straws. I am just as confused as the rest of you guys. The theory about attempting to label it a training match could me on to something, except that we are the ones chasing, so we have no lead to protect. 

• Admin locked this topic