Binky

The Road to Qatar.

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Hugo Carillo the president of FESFUT seems to confirm the rumours:

1) Friendly against Panama in El Salvador

2) Friendly against Costa Rica in Washington DC.

They are going to play for points! He thinks they will gain 7 points and therefore have an insurmountable lead over Canada.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/futbol/hugo-carrillo-fesfut-fifa-visita-concacaf/685569/2020/

Their FA is also under FIFA and CONCACAF investigation for voting irregularities or something like that...

That's huge! I have no idea where Hugo is getting 7 points from though.

image.png.7dccdbb587e4daffe0f6b76e620a1d1e.png

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

53 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

That's huge! I have no idea where Hugo is getting 7 points from though.

image.png.7dccdbb587e4daffe0f6b76e620a1d1e.png

2 losses equals -9.5 points, a loss and a draw equals -4.5 points. It’d be huge if we could get 9 points in March. That would put us well ahead of ES lose both and basically dead even if they win and draw. Even 8 points would be a huge positive for us.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

2 losses equals -9.5 points, a loss and a draw equals -4.5 points. It’d be huge if we could get 9 points in March. That would put us well ahead of ES lose both and basically dead even if they win and draw. Even 8 points would be a huge positive for us.

I think they beat Panama at home, and lose to Costa Rica in Washington. That’s 0.5 points gained, so no big jump. This is on us to get to 7-10 points to close the gap, making a very interesting June. 

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

Agree, I think this is good news for us. I don't see them gaining any points here and most likely losing 4.5. I don't see us gaining 9 in March but even if we get half of that we're in good shape.

3 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

I think they beat Panama at home, and lose to Costa Rica in Washington. That’s 0.5 points gained, so no big jump. This is on us to get to 7-10 points to close the gap, making a very interesting June. 

That’s certainly a possibility. Gaining 9 points like I said would still put us within striking distance if they gained 0.5 points. I honestly don’t think ES are very good though. If we’re assuming they’ll lose to Costa Rica, the odds of a loss or draw to Panama would be higher than the odds of a win I’d think.

Keep in mind the DC area is full of Salvadorians. They will have the home field advantage against Costa Rica. They had it against Iceland and still lost, so it'll be interesting. I can see a win or a loss or a draw for them in this one. Costa Rica lost 1-0 to the USA last month.

3 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

I have a bad feeling Costa Rica and Panama won't play there A team ... If they do I can see them not playing their A game. Realistically who would they want to play? Us or El Salvador? It's a no brainer imo. 

Maybe Costa Rica, but I doubt it. They already had a B team game against the US. I'm sure they want to have a couple friendlies with the full squad before WCQ starts and would prioritize that over trying to influence who comes 6th in FIFA rankings.

No reason for Panama to not play their A team. In fact, if they're scared of us, they would want El Salvador to drop to 7th and into the gauntlet tournament.

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

1 hour ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

No reason for Panama to not play their A team. In fact, if they're scared of us, they would want El Salvador to drop to 7th and into the gauntlet tournament.

?

If they're scared of us, they would rather play El Salvador instead of playing us.That's why they'd let El Salvador win so we can't catch them in the rankings.

17 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

?

If they're scared of us, they would rather play El Salvador instead of playing us.That's why they'd let El Salvador win so we can't catch them in the rankings.

Panama aren't going to make the Hex though? So if they want to avoid us, they want El Salvador to lose.

19 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Panama aren't going to make the Hex though? So if they want to avoid us, they want El Salvador to lose.

I'm sorry, I confused Honduras with Panama. You're right, Idk what the hell I was thinking. I agree with you that they'll go for the win. 

On 2/6/2020 at 2:39 PM, Kyle_The_Hill said:

image.png.ce053ec8b9db533ed40d8083cb73ed9f.png

Someone send this to Herdman. Chance to gain exactly 6.00 points. Statistician's dream.

how do you make or calculate these?

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sounds like match will be played at Westhills (home of Pacific FC).

Love the CPL tie in. Shame we couldn't use Cavalry, Edmonton (bit small I guess) or Valour to be more central for once. 

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Can anybody shine a light on why we would want to play at westhills and not BC place? It only holds 6000. 

How much you want to bet that mayor in Langford came up with that? Or at least, with the club, they felt they could feature their training facilities and the stadium itself to promo the CPL team season.

Apart from the fact that southern Vancouver Island has the most reliable weather in the country in the winter.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist