Jump to content

The Road to Qatar.


Binky
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

It’s starting to look like the CSA has fallen asleep at the wheel or they know something about El Salvador that we don’t.     Unless the Iceland game counted for them as it did for us, we needed to pick up points in March to make the last window truly count.  Perhaps the CSA is counting on ES losses and we will continue to play Caribbean countries at a moments notice to gain easy points. Unless they have some incredible master plan it is disappointing that a squad that desperately needs games to qualify has nothing announced and games are being confirmed for dozens of teams.

Of course they have a master plan, the problem is the fax machine is jammed so they can't implement it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Dear Kyle...The point is that I am pretty much saying this is who Canada will play in March. By all means bookmark the post and correct me if I am wrong whenever there is an official announcement. 

We may play T&T in March, we could also play two of our many other options. I have no idea but that's why it's nice to discuss the different possibilities in this thread.

I'm not worried about being right or wrong about who we play, I just want to have a good discussion. Your original comment added zero value to the discussion, which is why I asked what the point of it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m growing impatient as well but I won’t criticize until we actually know who we’re scheduling. Tactically, it makes more sense to announce it late anyways so that ES can’t alter their strategy based on what we do. Not much we can do but hope for the best at this point and hold out hope that Herdman and the CSA have a solid plan in place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.diez.hn/centroamerica/1355633-498/seleccion-panama-amistoso-tailandia-asia-coronavirus-eliminatoria-concacaf

So Panama cancelled their friendly vs Thailand because of corona-virus fears even though the virus is only widespread in China. Seems a little paranoid.

The tabloids say they will try to play El Salvador.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, archer21 said:

I’m growing impatient as well but I won’t criticize until we actually know who we’re scheduling. Tactically, it makes more sense to announce it late anyways so that ES can’t alter their strategy based on what we do. Not much we can do but hope for the best at this point and hold out hope that Herdman and the CSA have a solid plan in place. 

Yeah, if anything I think the CSA earned a lot of cred (at least with me) when it came to the last round of friendlies.  They managed to schedule exactly what we needed to gain serious ground on ES.  Not their fault that Herdman and the boys couldn't pull it off against Iceland.  But as far as I am concerned, the CSA did everything that could reasonably be expected.  They may not have given us V's daily updates, but at the end of the day our informational satisfaction may not actually be quite as important as some of us seem to think.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hugo Carillo the president of FESFUT seems to confirm the rumours:

1) Friendly against Panama in El Salvador

2) Friendly against Costa Rica in Washington DC.

They are going to play for points! He thinks they will gain 7 points and therefore have an insurmountable lead over Canada.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/futbol/hugo-carrillo-fesfut-fifa-visita-concacaf/685569/2020/

Their FA is also under FIFA and CONCACAF investigation for voting irregularities or something like that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Hugo Carillo the president of FESFUT seems to confirm the rumours:

1) Friendly against Panama in El Salvador

2) Friendly against Costa Rica in Washington DC.

They are going to play for points! He thinks they will gain 7 points and therefore have an insurmountable lead over Canada.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/futbol/hugo-carrillo-fesfut-fifa-visita-concacaf/685569/2020/

Their FA is also under FIFA and CONCACAF investigation for voting irregularities or something like that...

That's huge! I have no idea where Hugo is getting 7 points from though.

image.png.7dccdbb587e4daffe0f6b76e620a1d1e.png

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

That's huge! I have no idea where Hugo is getting 7 points from though.

image.png.7dccdbb587e4daffe0f6b76e620a1d1e.png

2 losses equals -9.5 points, a loss and a draw equals -4.5 points. It’d be huge if we could get 9 points in March. That would put us well ahead of ES lose both and basically dead even if they win and draw. Even 8 points would be a huge positive for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

2 losses equals -9.5 points, a loss and a draw equals -4.5 points. It’d be huge if we could get 9 points in March. That would put us well ahead of ES lose both and basically dead even if they win and draw. Even 8 points would be a huge positive for us.

I think they beat Panama at home, and lose to Costa Rica in Washington. That’s 0.5 points gained, so no big jump. This is on us to get to 7-10 points to close the gap, making a very interesting June. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

2 losses equals -9.5 points, a loss and a draw equals -4.5 points. It’d be huge if we could get 9 points in March. That would put us well ahead of ES lose both and basically dead even if they win and draw. Even 8 points would be a huge positive for us.

Agree, I think this is good news for us. I don't see them gaining any points here and most likely losing 4.5. I don't see us gaining 9 in March but even if we get half of that we're in good shape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

I think they beat Panama at home, and lose to Costa Rica in Washington. That’s 0.5 points gained, so no big jump. This is on us to get to 7-10 points to close the gap, making a very interesting June. 

That’s certainly a possibility. Gaining 9 points like I said would still put us within striking distance if they gained 0.5 points. I honestly don’t think ES are very good though. If we’re assuming they’ll lose to Costa Rica, the odds of a loss or draw to Panama would be higher than the odds of a win I’d think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep in mind the DC area is full of Salvadorians. They will have the home field advantage against Costa Rica. They had it against Iceland and still lost, so it'll be interesting. I can see a win or a loss or a draw for them in this one. Costa Rica lost 1-0 to the USA last month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

I have a bad feeling Costa Rica and Panama won't play there A team ... If they do I can see them not playing their A game. Realistically who would they want to play? Us or El Salvador? It's a no brainer imo. 

Maybe Costa Rica, but I doubt it. They already had a B team game against the US. I'm sure they want to have a couple friendlies with the full squad before WCQ starts and would prioritize that over trying to influence who comes 6th in FIFA rankings.

No reason for Panama to not play their A team. In fact, if they're scared of us, they would want El Salvador to drop to 7th and into the gauntlet tournament.

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

No reason for Panama to not play their A team. In fact, if they're scared of us, they would want El Salvador to drop to 7th and into the gauntlet tournament.

?

If they're scared of us, they would rather play El Salvador instead of playing us.That's why they'd let El Salvador win so we can't catch them in the rankings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...