Binky

The Road to Qatar.

On 1/16/2020 at 10:06 AM, Kyle_The_Hill said:

We're 14 points back with 2 official windows (March and June), plus an out of window (May), plus another potential out of window (July)...

Does anybody know exactly how many points we have and El Salvador has? If not, then we must assume the worst

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/#CONCACAF

El Savador 1346.49 (rounded to 1346)

Canada 1330.51 (rounded to 1331)

Up to (roughly) 16 points behind at max, then we gained roughly 0.36 points this month so we need to gain 15.62 points over El Savador to be safe.

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Does anybody know exactly how many points we have and El Salvador has? If not, then we must assume the worst

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/#CONCACAF

El Savador 1346.49 (rounded to 1346)

Canada 1330.51 (rounded to 1331)

Up to (roughly) 16 points behind at max, then we gained roughly 0.36 points this month so we need to gain 15.62 points over El Savador to be safe.

image.png.8e4947124b035d40eff1dac40b3753c1.png

Nah its 14.

12 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

Everywhere I’ve checked it’s an official friendly so if that’s true where do we sit in regards to points back from El Salvador now?

We get to debate until February 20th if it was an official friendly or not lol

image.png.49b0d4ce92dcc074810d63eae7f04ea3.png

How can you choose to reclassify a friendly as a training match days before though? That doesn't seem fair. Should be whatever was scheduled as, training match or friendly stays.

Way too easy to game point this way.

• Oh we have injuries and cant field our best A team Training Match!
  • Oh Concacaf is stupid and is now gifting us the Hex Training Matc

If the request was actually denied. its more likely Iceland wanted to keep it as an offial Friendly and not that FIFA denied the request. 

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So it looks like now they still want to play a friendly in March vs a top 50 side?

Costa Rica , Switzerland, or most likely Greece.

http://www.laprensagrafica.com/deportes/Carrillo-En-marzo-tenemos-que-jugar-contra-selecciones-del-puesto-6-al-50-en-el-ranking-FIFA-20200121-0667.html

"Everything is to play outside the country".

I do understand why some people on here on skeptical but its hard to not get excited about the possibility of these matches taking place for FIFA points in either a neutral or away country.

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

If I was Herdman, I'd try to schedule Honduras and Costa Rica in March. Might as well try to go to the Hex swinging. I think El Salvador will play friendlies in the next 2 windows against average teams, so I think we'll need something like 20 points

5 hours ago, Blackdude said:

If I was Herdman, I'd try to schedule Honduras and Costa Rica in March. 

Costa Rica, maybe. Costa Rica may go to Europe for the window. Honduras said they were only playing one match in March.They are already playing the Czech Republic at InterMiami's stadium.

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

Do we have an official word yet on whether the points were counted for their loss?

According to the game long El Salvador used 5 subs and and Iceland 6 subs, under the friendly limit of 6 subs. You think it would have been a smart thing for El Salvador to agree to the use of and use more subs during the game, which would immediately void the game.

Edited by trc2014

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

According to the game long El Salvador used 5 subs and and Iceland 6 subs, under the friendly limit of 6 subs. You think it would have been a smart thing for El Salvador to agree to the use of and use more subs during the game, which would immediately void the game.

That would be shady even for them. I don't think many teams would want to play them if they were pulling those shinanagans.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I'm assuming the match status is agreed on before the start of the game. If it was agreed to be an official match, the 4th official wouldn't let you sub on a 7th player.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That would be shady even for them. I don't think many teams would want to play them if they were pulling those shinanagans.

Not shady - my point is that training matches usually involve both teams agreeing to more than 6 subs (the friendly limit).  I’m assume they didn’t allow unlimited subs (completely an assumption on my end), which Iceland and El Salvador would have agreed to pre-game as part of the training match prep.

4 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I'm assuming the match status is agreed on before the start of the game. If it was agreed to be an official match, the 4th official wouldn't let you sub on a 7th player.

Exactly - if El Savaldor had any concern that they couldn’t change the match status they would have agreed to allow more than 6 subs with Iceland pre-game, which it’s not clear that they did.  I’m not saying they should just try to sneak a seventh sub on the field.  ES only used 5 subs.

Edited by trc2014

It might also be a huge risk for them to sub an extra man on the field.  imagine a scenario where the game was later deemed to count but ES were attributed with a loss by making  a prohibited number of substitutions.  

On 1/8/2020 at 5:04 PM, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I think our sweet spot is Czech to St. Kitts.

One of the best opponents for us, right in our "sweet spot", Albania, might play Costa Rica instead in March! :(

Albania is 1356, so above us and above El Salvador.

In UEFA qualifying, they did beat Iceland at home though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_Group_H

http://gazetablic.com/kombetarja-e-njohur-e-futbollit-deshiron-te-luaje-miqesore-me-shqiperine/

http://albsport.mk/shqiperia-ne-muajin-mars-miqesore-ne-spanje/