Binky

The Road to Qatar.

This game against Iceland is absolutely massive for our chances IMO. If we’re only 9 points away, I could see them playing those types of friendlies. If we lose and are back to 14 points away, they’ll probably just stay in hiding I’d think. Or at the most, play someone like Bahamas that they can easily grab a couple insurance points.

Edited by archer21

40 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I’m still hoping for a Europe based camp. Greece would be a good opponent, they have been eliminated from the Euros and we would face a younger squad. Cyprus would be a good additional opponent. 2 games definitely winnable and minimal travel for our European based players.

It's a good idea in theory but I would much rather play Haiti and Curacao and gain the same amount of FIFA points with two wins.

47 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

It's a good idea in theory but I would much rather play Haiti and Curacao and gain the same amount of FIFA points with two wins.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t realize we’d pick up 10 points for beating those 2. I’m on board with your idea, let’s play Haiti and get some revenge.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/13/how-canada-can-reach-hexagonal-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Are we sure that the El Salvador vs. Iceland game is a training match? Squizz - who has been as close to the madness we call the CMNT for a number of years is still noting the game as a point of interest.

Yes - I’m grasping at straws.

4 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Personally I don’t want to play Haiti or Curaçao. I think they are both on the upswing, meaning we could play easier teams for the same points, or teams as difficult for the same points. Plus Curaçao in particular would see the game as hugely important because they could gain 10 points on us with a win. A European team (for example) or a CONCACAF team that has no shot of making the hex would be less motivated to go for a win against us.

Edit: I guess I should offer up at least one suggestion if I am going to reject your suggestion. I think the teams you mentioned are at Costa Rica level, and they would be less motivated and worth more points.

Edited by Kent

39 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I'm not certain it's in our interest for El Salvador's game against Iceland to count.  Judging by the Iceland squad selected and the fact it will be a partisan home game in Los Angeles, I think there's a decent chance El Salvador wins.  Even a draw gives them a points increase.    

Nah, Iceland is a lot better than people realize, even with their B team.

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Yup. It was already posted!

It seems like a key date has changed or rather been made clear. 

http://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cup-qualifying-men/article/concacaf-announces-format-for-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-confederation-qualifiers

"...based on the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020."

According to FIFA, that date is going to be July 16th 2020.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/

This date seems very intentional as both the EURO 2020 and Copa América 2020 end on Sunday, July 12th. Those rankings would therefore include the results of both tournaments.

Now, the June window for us ends on Tuesday June 9th:

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/1653-men-s-international-match-calendar-2018-2024.pdf?cloudid=vypxfhb9frfxwu25v23z

...and that is about 5 weeks before the rankings are published.

CONCACAF needs 21 days notice (by regulation) to schedule a match. FIFA needs 2 weeks notice (if I understood these documents correctly and they are up to date)

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-governing-international-matches-2325685.pdf?cloudid=pywuivvlfl5aqvhsw2i7

Just imagine if El Salvador and Canada are within 2 points of each other after June 9th; there could be a mad scramble to find a minnow to play for points on short notice.

The CSA and FESFUT desperate to schedule something and get players released...the madness!

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

"...based on the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020."

According to FIFA, that date is going to be July 16th 2020.

I don't understand this, since there has been a June FIFA publish every year since 2010. However, if it is true, I feel bad for our players.

They'll have to play into July this year as well as both June and July next year, if we don't make the Hex. 

image.thumb.png.5518ebec44a00fd5fe37a9b5eed3b5b9.png

image.png.a4991774e91495c6bdb01d19d244bbdf.png

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

I think this so huge on top of all the obvious reasons just imagine how much easier the marketing effort would be for the CSA. Full schedule simple and way in advance.

Mexico

US

Costa Rica

Honduras

Jamaica 

Nothing confusing and not a bad game in the bunch. This game tomorrow is big

Edited by SpursFlu

Weird

here they seem to be saying that they will compensate the promoter for lost ticket sales..but tickets are still being sold

https://elmundo.sv/si-no-jugabamos-contra-islandia-indemnizariamos-al-promotor/

not sure what’s going on. And it’s even more strange that they’re going these lengths to avoid Iceland while trying to schedule Euro matches in March ? Very confused strategy

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2020/01/13/tickets-el-salvador-vs-iceland-dignity-health-sports-park-sale

Look what I found. They are promoting the game here and tickets are being sold. Can you sell tickets for a training match? I would be surprised if you could...

From a different message board "Just naming a friendly a 'training match' is not enough for being excluded from the ranking. That has to be officially arranged with FIFA. AFAIK any team can ask FIFA to exclude a friendly match from the ranking, probably giving certain valid arguments to support that question. Arguments like "we are playing with a complete B or C team" or "we are going to substitute our complete team at half time". I don't think selling tickets or promoting the match are valid arguments AGAINST such a request to exclude."

We still haven't actually seen an article that includes a confirmation from FIFA that the match won't be for points but who knows.

So I'm guessing we will find out when the next rankings come out (February 20th) whether the game was a World Cup Qualifier or not.

2 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I don't understand this, since there has been a June FIFA publish every year since 2010.

Under the old system there was new rankings published every month. For some reason under the new system they skip a bunch of months. It's really weird considering they calculate the rankings after each game anyways, why not just publish it? They don't even have to worry about points dropping in value as they age, so there is no excuse for them to not have it updated live, let alone published every month.

22 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

From a different message board "Just naming a friendly a 'training match' is not enough for being excluded from the ranking. That has to be officially arranged with FIFA. AFAIK any team can ask FIFA to exclude a friendly match from the ranking, probably giving certain valid arguments to support that question. Arguments like "we are playing with a complete B or C team" or "we are going to substitute our complete team at half time". I don't think selling tickets or promoting the match are valid arguments AGAINST such a request to exclude."

We still haven't actually seen an article that includes a confirmation from FIFA that the match won't be for points but who knows.

Thanks. Do you know if there is official criteria from fifa regarding what constitutes a "training" match?

I was thinking/hoping there is some stipulation that all "training" matches must be played behind closed doors, or something to that effect...

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks. Do you know if there is official criteria from fifa regarding what constitutes a "training" match?

I was thinking/hoping there is some stipulation that all "training" matches must be played behind closed doors, or something to that effect...

I'm not sure. I was trying to look that stuff up before myself.

Being a CMNT supporter is weird. Normal people look at me like I'm ******* crazy when I try to explain this stuff.

"Canada plays Iceland in a friendly tomorrow and it's really important we win because we'll gain 3 FIFA points, which we need to catch El Salvador who are also playing Iceland but their game is only a training match so it won't count towards FIFA points but because they're selling tickets it may not be considered training so they would lose FIFA points if they lose"

"Ok" 

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm pretty sure that selling tickets is a BIG no-no!

http://canadasoccer.com/files/2018_19_LOTG_English.pdf

8 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I'm not sure. I was trying to look that stuff up before myself.

Being a CMNT supporter is weird. Normal people look at me like I'm ******* crazy when I try to explain this stuff.

"Canada plays Iceland in a friendly tomorrow and it's really important we win because we'll gain 3 FIFA points, which we need to catch El Salvador who are also playing Iceland but their game is only a training match so it won't count towards FIFA points but because they're selling tickets it may not be considered training so they would lose FIFA points if they lose"

"Ok" 

Add to that all the roster/salary rules in MLS and it takes a bit of taste for the esoteric to be a domestic soccer fan.

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

El Salvador are only counting the game as legit for Fifa points if they win or draw.  If they are losing they will throw on a 7th sub to nullify the game lol 

One weird trick.

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

This is a true story:

sometimes when my wife can’t fall asleep I tell her how the qualifying system works and how El Salvador are trying to take advantage of how screwed up and dumb it is and she just passes right out. 

Sure she can sleep, but then you are stuck in bed with clenched fists  just thinking about those bastards.