The Road to Qatar.

Binky

14 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Which one of you beauties is the Wikipedia updater?  Bassong and Brym now have a nice little international section, which they didn’t have a week ago.

I updated some of the stats after the first friendly, but I can't recall if I did Brym because someone else was had half the player updates done before I got to them.

I definitely didn't create a page for Bassong though. Kudos to whoever did that. I was far too lazy to take that on!

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Switserland, 100%, Hungary I'm no so sure. They are weak. 

Wouldn’t these be training matches again? They have no incentive to risk points official matches against equal or superior teams. I would think their best strategy is to do nothing or play a few friendlies against minnows. Playing a Swiss- level team makes no sense.

43 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Wouldn’t these be training matches again? They have no incentive to risk points official matches against equal or superior teams. I would think their best strategy is to do nothing or play a few friendlies against minnows. Playing a Swiss- level team makes no sense.

I guess we'll have to see but it seems unlikely these nations will agree to "training matches". Iceland kind of got duped because it was initially supposed to be a official friendly but then changed to "training" at the last minute.

If these are official friendlies though, all those people that have been saying its mathematically impossible for Canada to catch El Salvador are going to be feeling pretty stupid.

1 hour ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I guess we'll have to see but it seems unlikely these nations will agree to "training matches". Iceland kind of got duped because it was initially supposed to be a official friendly but then changed to "training" at the last minute.

If these are official friendlies though, all those people that have been saying its mathematically impossible for Canada to catch El Salvador are going to be feeling pretty stupid.

Any chance you could post the points won/lost in matches for ES against Switzerland/Hungary?

1 hour ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Just realized Hungary aren't even available to play in March. How does the president of the president of the Salvadoran Football Federation not know that lol? Here are the four possibilities anyways.

image.png.57a8573928e9e8e556384070518ce57d.png

They could very easily lose 7 points, which would put us down by 2 if we beat Iceland. Even if they get a loss and a draw, we’d be 7 points back which is very manageable for us to pick up in March with 2 matchups we’d be heavy favourites in.

21 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I think Concacaf/Fifa should force us to play against them over 2 legs. It's ridiculous that calculations are being made to the last point for who gets a spot in the Hex. 

Concacaf not going to change the format for qualifying now. If we were in reverse positions and Concacaf did this people on this board would be irate and rightfully so.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:37 PM, jtpc said:

I like Antigua and Barbuda as a possible opponent for us if we were looking to set something up within CONCACAF. They're right underneath Trinidad and Tobago, in that next tier underneath Curacao, Panama, and Haiti. They lost 8-0 to Guatemala in November, but their ranking is still high enough that we would get 3 points from a win against them. Play them twice and you're looking at a great chance for 6 more points. 

Its crazy how just a few months ago we were all begging for more friendlies, less against the minnows!

... And now that our hex future is dependent on us playing the "Game of Points", suddenly Barbados, and Antigua & Barbuda are the ideal options for not only one game, but two in order for us to maximize points! 

Concacaf has turned WCQ into a joke. 

This game against Iceland is absolutely massive for our chances IMO. If we’re only 9 points away, I could see them playing those types of friendlies. If we lose and are back to 14 points away, they’ll probably just stay in hiding I’d think. Or at the most, play someone like Bahamas that they can easily grab a couple insurance points.

Edited by archer21

40 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I’m still hoping for a Europe based camp. Greece would be a good opponent, they have been eliminated from the Euros and we would face a younger squad. Cyprus would be a good additional opponent. 2 games definitely winnable and minimal travel for our European based players.

It's a good idea in theory but I would much rather play Haiti and Curacao and gain the same amount of FIFA points with two wins.

47 minutes ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

It's a good idea in theory but I would much rather play Haiti and Curacao and gain the same amount of FIFA points with two wins.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t realize we’d pick up 10 points for beating those 2. I’m on board with your idea, let’s play Haiti and get some revenge.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/13/how-canada-can-reach-hexagonal-concacaf-world-cup-qualifying?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Are we sure that the El Salvador vs. Iceland game is a training match? Squizz - who has been as close to the madness we call the CMNT for a number of years is still noting the game as a point of interest.

Yes - I’m grasping at straws.

4 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Personally I don’t want to play Haiti or Curaçao. I think they are both on the upswing, meaning we could play easier teams for the same points, or teams as difficult for the same points. Plus Curaçao in particular would see the game as hugely important because they could gain 10 points on us with a win. A European team (for example) or a CONCACAF team that has no shot of making the hex would be less motivated to go for a win against us.

Edit: I guess I should offer up at least one suggestion if I am going to reject your suggestion. I think the teams you mentioned are at Costa Rica level, and they would be less motivated and worth more points.

Edited by Kent

39 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I'm not certain it's in our interest for El Salvador's game against Iceland to count.  Judging by the Iceland squad selected and the fact it will be a partisan home game in Los Angeles, I think there's a decent chance El Salvador wins.  Even a draw gives them a points increase.    

Nah, Iceland is a lot better than people realize, even with their B team.

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Yup. It was already posted!

It seems like a key date has changed or rather been made clear. 

http://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cup-qualifying-men/article/concacaf-announces-format-for-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-confederation-qualifiers

"...based on the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020."

According to FIFA, that date is going to be July 16th 2020.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/

This date seems very intentional as both the EURO 2020 and Copa América 2020 end on Sunday, July 12th. Those rankings would therefore include the results of both tournaments.

Now, the June window for us ends on Tuesday June 9th:

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/1653-men-s-international-match-calendar-2018-2024.pdf?cloudid=vypxfhb9frfxwu25v23z

...and that is about 5 weeks before the rankings are published.

CONCACAF needs 21 days notice (by regulation) to schedule a match. FIFA needs 2 weeks notice (if I understood these documents correctly and they are up to date)

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-governing-international-matches-2325685.pdf?cloudid=pywuivvlfl5aqvhsw2i7

Just imagine if El Salvador and Canada are within 2 points of each other after June 9th; there could be a mad scramble to find a minnow to play for points on short notice.

The CSA and FESFUT desperate to schedule something and get players released...the madness!

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

"...based on the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020."

According to FIFA, that date is going to be July 16th 2020.

I don't understand this, since there has been a June FIFA publish every year since 2010. However, if it is true, I feel bad for our players.

They'll have to play into July this year as well as both June and July next year, if we don't make the Hex. 

image.thumb.png.5518ebec44a00fd5fe37a9b5eed3b5b9.png

image.png.a4991774e91495c6bdb01d19d244bbdf.png

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

I think this so huge on top of all the obvious reasons just imagine how much easier the marketing effort would be for the CSA. Full schedule simple and way in advance.

Mexico

US

Costa Rica

Honduras

Jamaica 

Nothing confusing and not a bad game in the bunch. This game tomorrow is big

Edited by SpursFlu

• Admin locked this topic