Binky

The Road to Qatar.

15 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Wait we got two games against Barbados? Well done CSA!

Iceland’s B team is still going to be a pretty tough game, I’d honestly be happy with a tie. 

Yup, 2 wins and a draw sounds about right to me based on who they called and who we called. Hard to not look past Barbados. Their recent record is fairly poor, I think a saw a loss in there against Cuba and Belize too.

3 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Do teams no longer lose points after a certain time period? Seems to me in the old system after about four years, points were no longer valid. Any chance ES will be losing some points?

No. Points are only won and  lost on the ptich.

28 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Do teams no longer lose points after a certain time period? Seems to me in the old system after about four years, points were no longer valid. Any chance ES will be losing some points?

I was wondering this the other day, games that were played 4 years to the date would fall off. 

10 hours ago, Blackdude said:

No. Points are only won and  lost on the ptich.

I hope that is not correct as that would technically mean that a team could become #1 and never play another game for 5 years (albeit highly unlikely) and remain #1 which would be ridiculous. It does mean that a team that has been extremely successful 5 years ago but only mediocre the last 5 could stay around the top of the rankings. 

27 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I hope that is not correct as that would technically mean that a team could become #1 and never play another game for 5 years (albeit highly unlikely) and remain #1 which would be ridiculous. It does mean that a team that has been extremely successful 5 years ago but only mediocre the last 5 could stay around the top of the rankings. 

Well, yeah if you go dormant for 4 years, you become unranked. 

31 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Not much benefit in being #1 and not qualifying for any tournaments.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not much benefit in being #1 and not qualifying for any tournaments.

Agreed. But if look at something like tennis it’s a rolling 12 months so you lose any points gained after a year. I guess the assumption is that sides will consistently play due to at least World Cup and regional qualifiers and the higher ranked you are the more points you have to lose as the vast majority of sides you are playing are ranked below you. 

34 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Not if you never lose points. 

You would lose your ranking though. Which means that if you wanted to play in a FIFA competition and you were dormant for 4 years, even if you had more points than other teams, you would start at the bottom.

I think the new FIFA system is not bad at all, not perfect but not bad.  The way and timing with which CONCACAF chose/had to employ the rankings is the much bigger problem.

You also have to remember that, in our confederation and our situation, the rankings mean more to us than the vast majority of nations.  Determining who is in your qualifying group is one thing, actually essentially determining direct progression in qualifying is another.  

On 1/4/2020 at 7:43 PM, Blackdude said:

Well, yeah if you go dormant for 4 years, you become unranked. 

I can’t find this. Do you have a link?

On 1/3/2020 at 5:07 PM, Bdog said:

Wait we got two games against Barbados? Well done CSA!

Iceland’s B team is still going to be a pretty tough game, I’d honestly be happy with a tie. 

Anyone have a link to the stream for this? Will there even be streams?

I wonder what people thought of the following:

1) Caribbean Teams in March? during the actual window? I know away in Concacaf is not ideal but we could make them neutral.... 4 games against any one of:

Cayman Island, Bahamas, Cuba, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, Bermuda, Grenada, DR, St. Kitts & Nevis.

Maybe you don't even do a "tour", you have the camp in a developed Island like Cayman Islands, play CI and offer/bring in 3-4 teams to the Caymans to play us.

That would get us another ~6 points right? if we got 4 wins?

2) The other option maybe, let's  take a real shot for it in March to close the gap.  Have a Euro based camp where our Euro based players (who will be in form) and play 2 maybe 3 games vs UEFA.

Scotland, Bulgaria, Albania, North Macedonia our all ahead of us and we can be competitive.

Belarus, Georgia, Cyprus, Estonia, Faroe Islands are below us but not that far behind in rankings and we could be competitive in those.

I realize I am getting ahead of myself a bit with the Barbados 2.0 match and Iceland but wondering what people thought of either option?

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

1) Caribbean Teams in March? during the actual window? I know away in Concacaf is not ideal but we could make them neutral.... 4 games against any one of:

Cayman Island, Bahamas, Cuba, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, Bermuda, Grenada, DR, St. Kitts & Nevis.

Maybe you don't even do a "tour", you have the camp in a developed Island like Cayman Islands, play CI and offer/bring in 3-4 teams to the Caymans to play us.

2) The other option maybe, let's  take a real shot for it in March to close the gap.  Have a Euro based camp where our Euro based players (who will be in form) and play 2 maybe 3 games vs UEFA.

Scotland, Bulgaria, Albania, North Macedonia our all ahead of us and we can be competitive.

Belarus, Georgia, Cyprus, Estonia, Faroe Islands are below us but not that far behind in rankings and we could be competitive in those.

I realize I am getting ahead of myself a bit with the Barbados 2.0 match and Iceland but wondering what people thought of either option?

If El Salvador wants to play dead bring in the 4 carribean teams. If they wake up and copy us which I can see happening then I think we should take the gamble with the Euro or even African teams who are around our ranking. 

23 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

You can only play 2 matches during official FIFA windows.

I think we should be looking at friendlies of nations around our ranking or slightly below.

image.png.006558fc4d5995b1bcc596fa3f7de82f.png

image.png.b7a39e9f738afab7c6c69abea6f49d37.png

Can we play the Faroe Islands twice in a neutral site in Europe in March (with a Euro base squad) while playing Antigua and Barbuda twice  in Canada (with a NA base squad) at the same time?

26 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Can we play the Faroe Islands twice in a neutral site in Europe in March (with a Euro base squad) while playing Antigua and Barbuda twice  in Canada (with a NA base squad) at the same time?

The fact that the CSA secured the three games this window (2 small point minnow games and a more challenging game for extra points) gives me confidence that they are going through the same mental gymnastics we all are in terms of trying to navigate a path to the hex.  Subject to financial constraints, I suspect/hope they are putting feelers out and exploring a lot of these sorts of possibilities.  

Posted (edited)

I think 1 easy 1 medium in the next window. See what El Salvadore does. Then plan accordingly. Save rolling the dice a bit on a top 40 or 30 team for the last window. See how the numbers breakdown. I think we should be publicly calling out ElSalvador. Let's play them there in June. Settle it the old fashion way, on the pitch

Edited by SpursFlu