The Road to Qatar.

Binky

I don't follow Fifa points system enough, but how many points would have the recent win in our "unofficial friendly vs T&T" given us if it was official?... Since it appears the CSA didn't want to pay the fee for making the friendly official.

Edited by apbsmith
More clarity

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

I don't follow Fifa points system enough, but how much would have  our recent win in our "unofficial friendly vs T&T" given us.... Since it appears we didn't want to pay the fee for playing the friendly.

Zero.  Our win against Martinique? Also Zero. 

Unless we get to the nations league final, I don't see us getting into the top 6.

Therefore (after the easy group stage with the minnows) we will be scrapping it out in home and away ties with the likes of:

El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Trinidad, Cuba, Curacao, Bermuda, Nicaragua and Guyana.

Looks doable to me. 

A home and away playoff against Jamaica, Panama or Honduras also seems doable.   

Doable.

So the battle for the 6th hex spot will be between Panama & El Salvador. 

I wouldn't be 100% convinced that Costa Rica secures the #3 spot in that hex though, they could very well finish 4.

Definitely an interesting qualifying rumour, hopefully we will know the true qualifying format soon enough!

Edited by apbsmith

@Edgar  has released a preview of the July ranking based on the Gold Cup results.  We lost 2 ranking points.  The B team against Mexico and the collapse to Haiti looking like massive missed opportunities.  

http://www.football-rankings.info/2019/07/fifa-ranking-july-2019-probable-ranking.html

image.png.64adfb438942ca42feb31edad91a151a.png

The most f###ed up part of this is Jamaica and El Salvador are in League B of the Nations League yet they're top 6 in the rankings.  Jamaica has 6 easy wins on tap.  El Salvador has Montserrat in their group who could potentially beat them but still....  

Honduras is in League A with Martinique and Trinidad.  No ranking points won or lost with Martinique but Trinidad stinks so I see them winning both of those games.

We basically have to do something nuts between now and March with Nations League and friendlies.

We need a 10 game Camp Poutine in January

12 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

So based on the rumor it is going to be 4  spots and not 3.5? Or would we go through all of that to secure the .5 spot? 

I do agree though, long journey but we can bang it out with all those teams, at least on paper.

It's still 3.5 and there's a 33% chance the .5 spot goes through CONMEBOL.  

So, win a group of minnows and then win 4 consecutive knockout ties with the last possibly being against the 5th team from South America.  Insane!

I can see what Vic's doing here.  He's structured it so that he can hold another Nations League in the fall of 2021.  Nations League can go f### off!  Between now and November 2021 there were 26 dates available to have a fair and equitable qualifying competition and instead he's only using 10 to 12 of them.  WCQ should not be a f###ing knockout cup competition

20 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

So the battle for the 6th hex spot will be between Panama & El Salvador. 

I wouldn't be 100% convinced that Costa Rica secures the #3 spot in that hex though, they could very well finish 4.

Definitely an interesting qualifying rumour, hopefully we will know the true qualifying format soon enough!

It's not being reported as a rumour.  ESPN Deportes is reporting it as a done deal based on Concacaf documents they have received. 

Other latin american media outlets also indicated today they have the new format but couldn't release it for 48 hours.  It seems ESPN just went ahead and leaked it. 

The winner of "the rest" mini tournament will be playing off against Hex 4th place for the .5 spot.  Very likely the winner will play the South American 5th place team.  Probably one of Peru, Chile, Paraguay, Ecuador.

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I can see what Vic's doing here.  He's structured it so that he can hold another Nations League in the fall of 2021.  Nations League can go f### off!  Between now and November 2021 there were 26 dates available to have a fair and equitable qualifying competition and instead he's only using 10 to 12 of them.  WCQ should not be a f###ing knockout cup competition

Not sure how that will work because the last Concacaf home and away playoff is set to take place October 2021.

The Intercontinental playoffs are set for March 2022.

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Not sure how that will work because the last Concacaf home and away playoff is set to take place October 2021.

The Intercontinental playoffs are set for March 2022.

Nations League is groups of 3 so you only play 4 out of the 6 dates in fall of 2021 leaving 2 available for the WCQ playoff.  

So if this is true it’s the biggest piece of concacaf bullshit in the history of fucking concacaf. All but 6 teams fucked before it even starts. Concacaf just wants to guarantee all the teams they want are in the hex and no upset is possible, the pieces of shit. If this is the format I fucking hope there uproar from the other 29 associations and from the 6 who will make it. If this is true victor Mongalini should step down for being the biggest clown in the history of fucking Concacaf. FUCK.

Should be a clause if you win your Nations League group and not in top 6 you make the hex, but there won't be.

Jamaica & El Salvador played tons of friendlies and now in B league of Nations League and now likely both will make hex.

Also, hope the media rips CSA a new one... 1 official friendly in what the last 18 months!? Jamaica has played  8 FRIENDLIES since March 2018. El Salvador 6, CSA ignorance really eating dirt on this one. 

Good thing they fired OZ who DEMANDED we play more friendlies. 

I'm so rattled right now, I don't know if I should punch a bag or just cry haha.

Edited by apbsmith

4 minutes ago, Binky said:

Were Canada's chances of qualifying for Qatar under the old system better, worse, or the same?

I would say the new system makes it notably more difficult for us. Not like we had a great chance either way but now I’m pretty pessimistic 

6 minutes ago, Binky said:

Were Canada's chances of qualifying for Qatar under the old system better, worse, or the same?

I'd give us an honest 40/60 chance in the hex.... to finish 3 or 4. I think we can bang it out with Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador, and even Costa Rica provided we lineup right. 

This new one I dunno, maybe we win the mini tourney, just maybe, but it's so many games and I feel our weaknesses will get exposed when it matters over time.

4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Time to organize some friendlies vs top 25 teams in the world, and hope they bring their b-c team? Maaaaannn this is pretty whacked in so many ways but CONCACAF will always be CONCACAF

I'd love to see the Netherlands play a friendly in Canada. That would be worth a point or two. That way if Canada loses we can sign Dwight Lodeweges right after the game.

Edited by Binky

Man I dont know whats worse. The fact the CSA cant get its shit together and take the mens national team serious, or the fact I'm a sucker for punishment and keep supporting this shitshow.

The little league mentality of the CSA is so frustrating. They keep trying to do all this experimental type shit in an effort to save money. First they hire womens coach, and give him impunity for the foreseeable future. Then they act like we have this big plan to revive soccer from the ground up in this country, meanwhile they refuse to schedule matches for the men. The entire focus of the CSA should be trying put every penny into the national team to reach a World Cup. Great way to fundraise is sell some fucking tickets!! Although I dont understand the claim it costs too much to arrange matches, soccer is the most played sport in the country. With this current team we should not be going through all this crap.

Sorry to rant, but man this gets old.

I really wish El Salvador had qualified for League A now for the Nations League and had been drawn into Mexico's group.

According to the projected July rankings upthread, we'll be 29 points out of 6th and we have a year to try and make that up. Panama and Curacao will of course be trying to do the same thing. Imagine how close we would be for 6th with that QF win against Haiti, if our Gold Cup victories against French Guiana in 2017 and Martinique this year had been victories against actual FIFA members, and if our last Nations League qualifier (a 4-1 win over French Guiana) had been a victory against a FIFA member.

With El Salvador playing League B teams and Panama playing Mexico twice in the Nations League, if we could ever come up with something incredible against the US (once at least, preferably twice), I wonder if that 29 point gap could realistically be closed within a year, through a combination of the Nations League and friendlies scheduled against comparable teams to us.

• Admin locked this topic