Jump to content
Binky

The Road to Qatar.

Recommended Posts

On 12/13/2019 at 12:03 PM, Club Linesman said:

Be nice if we could get our **** together and make something happen where we get at least a chance to earn some ranking points to close the gap by Spring.

Image result for photo of a loser waving the white flag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Floortom said:

In contrast El Salvador is going ahead with its friendlies against Iceland and the US even though the Manager has publicly come out against these matches.

26 March 2020 - Curaçao vs. Panama (Friendly)

Why no Curaçao vs. Canada (North American-based players) friendly in January or February?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ove said:

26 March 2020 - Curaçao vs. Panama (Friendly)

Why no Curaçao vs. Canada (North American-based players) friendly in January or February?

I thought you left? 

Deep down, I knew it was too good to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, Floortom said:

In contrast El Salvador is going ahead with its friendlies against Iceland and the US even though the Manager has publicly come out against these matches.

Does anyone know how many points they would drop if they were to lose both matches? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmation on ELO that El Salvador will play Iceland on January 19th and the US on February 1st.

Best case scenario, they lose both and drop 3.5 points (hopefully 4 full points with rounding). Instead of a 15-point difference between them and us, it would be down to 11, 1342 to 1331.

Edited by jtpc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jtpc said:

Confirmation on ELO that El Salvador will play Iceland on January 19th and the US on February 1st.

Best case scenario, they lose both and drop 3.5 points (hopefully 4 full points with rounding). Instead of a 15-point difference between them and us, it would be down to 11, 1342 to 1331.

They would be at 1342.2 compared to Canada's 1331.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Now El Salvador wants to make their friendly vs Iceland a "training match" so they don't lose points.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/selecciones/la-selecta-cierra-en-privilegiado-puesto-el-2019-dentro-del-ranking-fifa/669816/2019/

:(

That is the sort of thing that makes a mockery of the system that was put in place.  I get that people will try to game the system, but this seems pretty blatant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Now El Salvador wants to make their friendly vs Iceland a "training match" so they don't lose points.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/selecciones/la-selecta-cierra-en-privilegiado-puesto-el-2019-dentro-del-ranking-fifa/669816/2019/

:(

Damn that's too bad. I'm assuming the U.S. won't agree to a "training match", so still the opportunity to lose points in Feb. And, as we all know, the important window is March. Hopefully, we all get open up our stockings on Christmas to confirmed March friendlies for Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is the sort of thing that makes a mockery of the system that was put in place.  I get that people will try to game the system, but this seems pretty blatant.

Not really. They can't gain FIFA points with a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really need 2 friendlies vs top 100 opponents in March. I can accept not making the hex if we schedule friendlies and lose them versus not scheduling them at all. 

On a side note: we’ve played 14 official games versus what I call minnows since 2014 wcq. Then add on the last 3 Cuba games and the Martinique blowout. I’m not a fan of going through more again next fall. I especially don’t want to hear the complaints from people that “only 10,000 showed up at bmo to see the Cayman Islands”, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Herdman was on writers block on the fan 590 today. Said they are looking to play in January, and potentially in May, with obviously games in March and June. May is interesting. Camp after euro leagues are done, with a match against someone before the window opens?

Would make for an exciting first half of 2020 if all of that comes to fruition.

Games in January and May would fall outside of fifa windows if I am not mistaken, limiting the availability of foreign-based players. Could be a good opportunity to utilize the Canadian Premier League talent. 

If that's the way it plays out, I would like to see some cooperation between the CPL and CSA, including rescheduling games if necessary. Central American leagues do it when they want to give domestic selections proper training time together. No reason why we couldn't do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the MLS schedule out we can confirm that...

For the late March FIFA window:

-Vancouver is available (no Whitecaps games, no concerts or tradeshows, too early for CFL)

 

For the early June FIFA window:

-Vancouver Whitecaps are hosting the Impact and there is a BC Lions game the night before but the turnaround time at BC Place is quite fast.

-No TFC or Argos games at BMO Field

-No Impact games at Stade Saputo (they will be @ Vancouver!)

This window overlaps with the Women's one; 99% chance there will be a home friendly in either Toronto or Montréal during this window. The question is, will it be the #CanMNT or the #CanWNT ? (Or both!? One at each stadium).

A May #CanMNT friendly could even be played on the terrible Ottawa turf because the CPL guys can handle it ;)

(The #CanWNT might play in Ottawa in June but not the #CanMNT)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With the MLS schedule out we can confirm that...

For the late March FIFA window:

-Vancouver is available (no Whitecaps games, no concerts or tradeshows, too early for CFL

 

For the early June FIFA window:

-Vancouver Whitecaps are hosting the Impact and there is a BC Lions game the night before but the turnaround time at BC Place is quite fast.

-No TFC or Argos games at BMO Field

-No Impact games at Stade Saputo (they will be @ Vancouver!)

This window overlaps with the Women's one; 99% chance there will be a home friendly in either Toronto or Montréal during this window. The question is, will it be the #CanMNT or the #CanWNT ? (Or both!? One at each stadium).

A May #CanMNT friendly could even be played on the terrible Ottawa turf because the CPL guys can handle it ;)

(The #CanWNT might play in Ottawa in June but not the #CanMNT)

My guess is that the May friendly will be all euro based players, and played in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Now El Salvador wants to make their friendly vs Iceland a "training match" so they don't lose points.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/selecciones/la-selecta-cierra-en-privilegiado-puesto-el-2019-dentro-del-ranking-fifa/669816/2019/

:(

This kills the notion that they were trying to sabotage their qualifying to intentionally miss the HEX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnyb said:

This kills the notion that they were trying to sabotage their qualifying to intentionally miss the HEX.

Just turns out they were idiots but their coach apparently isn't and talked some sense in to them

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the rumour is that the Czech Republic and Greece will be coming to the USA in March to play Mexico.

Mexico had already announced in early December that they were hosting friendlies in Charlotte NC and in the Dallas TX area.

http://www.elgrafico.com/selecciones/Una-seleccion-ex-campeona-de-Europa-un-posible-rival-de-la-Selecta-en-marzo-20191225-0012.html

https://us.as.com/us/2019/12/26/futbol/1577383881_082894.html

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/1344208-498/amistoso-seleccion-honduras-fecha-fifa-marzo-grecia-fabian-coito

So obviously other CONCACAF sides want a piece of the action; Honduras and El Salvador are looking to play Greece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to cry over spilled milk however this new CONCACAF top 6 ranked make the hex while the rest of the confederation fight for a .5 crumb is total rubbish. 

How can they be so dumb to come up with a plan like that? If not dumb it comes off shady as F that the Yanks and Mexs want to face the least adversity. Why would the other mbr countries agree to that?

Look at Conmebol. 10 nations dukeing it out for 5.5. You tell me they couldn’t do the same and make it 10 instead of 6? Wouldn’t 10 countries be more beneficial for soccer in this region?

Also, I know the story behind how Latin America don’t consider Guyana, French Guyana and Suriname part of South America but really that’s lame. They should be in Conmebol. Those countries are physically attached to South America. And if it is all about language then why don’t they have Panama, Costa Rica and ESV, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Hon in their federation?

Ok rant over.  

Edited by Moldy9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...