The Road to Qatar.

Binky

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The USA are playing Costa Rica on February 1st instead.

Looks like the USA didn't want to deal with El Salvador's "we don't want to play a real friendly" bull ****.

The conspiracy theorist in me also suspects that the US would far rather ES in the hex than us, so they may be happy to go along with whatever hurts our chances. 

57 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The conspiracy theorist in me also suspects that the US would far rather ES in the hex than us, so they may be happy to go along with whatever hurts our chances. 

I don’t think that’s a conspiracy theory. That would be intelligent decision making by the US as, IMO, it improves their chances of getting 6 points from a competitor. I don’t like it but I’d advocate for it if the roles were reversed. 

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm telling you.. El Salvadors best strategy is to go hide under the bed, come out in June and hope everything worked out for them

Sounds like that is exactly what they will do. No chance for them to lose points forcing us to go 3-0 between Jan-March. 

Edited by JDub

15 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Wait we got two games against Barbados? Well done CSA!

Iceland’s B team is still going to be a pretty tough game, I’d honestly be happy with a tie. 

Yup, 2 wins and a draw sounds about right to me based on who they called and who we called. Hard to not look past Barbados. Their recent record is fairly poor, I think a saw a loss in there against Cuba and Belize too.

3 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Do teams no longer lose points after a certain time period? Seems to me in the old system after about four years, points were no longer valid. Any chance ES will be losing some points?

No. Points are only won and  lost on the ptich.

28 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Do teams no longer lose points after a certain time period? Seems to me in the old system after about four years, points were no longer valid. Any chance ES will be losing some points?

I was wondering this the other day, games that were played 4 years to the date would fall off. 

10 hours ago, Blackdude said:

No. Points are only won and  lost on the ptich.

I hope that is not correct as that would technically mean that a team could become #1 and never play another game for 5 years (albeit highly unlikely) and remain #1 which would be ridiculous. It does mean that a team that has been extremely successful 5 years ago but only mediocre the last 5 could stay around the top of the rankings. 

27 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I hope that is not correct as that would technically mean that a team could become #1 and never play another game for 5 years (albeit highly unlikely) and remain #1 which would be ridiculous. It does mean that a team that has been extremely successful 5 years ago but only mediocre the last 5 could stay around the top of the rankings. 

Well, yeah if you go dormant for 4 years, you become unranked. 

31 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Not much benefit in being #1 and not qualifying for any tournaments.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not much benefit in being #1 and not qualifying for any tournaments.

Agreed. But if look at something like tennis it’s a rolling 12 months so you lose any points gained after a year. I guess the assumption is that sides will consistently play due to at least World Cup and regional qualifiers and the higher ranked you are the more points you have to lose as the vast majority of sides you are playing are ranked below you. 

34 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Not if you never lose points. 

You would lose your ranking though. Which means that if you wanted to play in a FIFA competition and you were dormant for 4 years, even if you had more points than other teams, you would start at the bottom.

I think the new FIFA system is not bad at all, not perfect but not bad.  The way and timing with which CONCACAF chose/had to employ the rankings is the much bigger problem.

You also have to remember that, in our confederation and our situation, the rankings mean more to us than the vast majority of nations.  Determining who is in your qualifying group is one thing, actually essentially determining direct progression in qualifying is another.  

• Admin locked this topic