Binky

The Road to Qatar.

To follow up on the previous discussion the following thoughts came to mind:

With the implementation of the new CONCACAF's World Cup qualifying format, a few things are starting to become crystal clear. One of these nuances involves the separation of the elite from the not-so-elite, which is based on the UEFA Champions League model, where the elite automatically gain entry to the group phase, while the not-so-elite must first duke it out amongst themselves in order to qualify for a few token spots in the group phase. When all is said and done, the Cup is always won by an elite club, never by a not-so-elite club that has gone through the qualifying phases first!

In other words the new format of CONCACAF's World Cup qualifying can be summed-up as follows:

The HEX, in which the elite compete is the equivalent of a PREMIERSHIP DIVISION, while the not-so-elite get to compete in the lower seeded rounds which are the equivalent of a SECOND DIVISION.

If Canada ends up playing in the SECOND DIVISION we will be really separated distance-wise from all our opponents. It will be like the Great White North playing in a Caribbean/Central American division. Talk about crazy travel schedules in every international window, eh? Players flying over from Europe to play one match in Canada and a second in the Caribbean or Central America, and then back to Europe again. I think we better make the HEX, don't you?

It will also be interesting to see in the upcoming year, whether or nor CONCACAF will use VAR technology for both divisions, or only for the elite HEX matches? Would the absences of VAR technology affect the outcome of matches in the Caribbean/Central American division?

Edited by Ove

Check out the schedule at the following. Poor Alphonso, so many air-miles, so many time-zones, he's going to be absolutely wiped out every time he returns to Bayern Munich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

EDIT:

Take for example:

Matchday 5 and Matchday 6 for the lower seeded CONCACAF countries are scheduled to be played during the 9–17 November 2020 window.

That wouldn't fit too well for players involved UEFA Championship matches if next year's schedule is anything close to what it was this year:

Matchday 4 of the UEFA Champions League group stage was played on November 5 & 6.

Matchday 5 of the UEFA Champions League group stage was played on November 26 & 27.

dyslexic nam may well have raised a valid point on the previous page.

Edited by Ove

15 hours ago, Ove said:

Besides, I would much rather watch a Mexican broadcast of Canada playing at the Estadio Azteca, then some Mickey Mouse stream from the Raymond E. Guishard Technical Centre, in Anguilla

Lolz. Quick poll... What's your favourite "mickey mouse" venue Canada's played in? I'm assuming the cat meowing in Belize(???) has gotta be top 3 for most. 

I was convinced that Canada being now head of CONCACAF had rigged this thing to ensure we'd be in the Hex.  Now I'm depressed that we are so bloody honest that maybe we didn't rig anything, even though I thought there was perhaps a Quid pro quo around the 2026 World Cup hosting.  What happened?  And to think we don't even seem to have guaranteed entry to 2026? 

12 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I was convinced that Canada being now head of CONCACAF had rigged this thing to ensure we'd be in the Hex.  Now I'm depressed that we are so bloody honest that maybe we didn't rig anything, even though I thought there was perhaps a Quid pro quo around the 2026 World Cup hosting.  What happened?  And to think we don't even seem to have guaranteed entry to 2026? 

We tried to rig it with the CONCACAF rankings and failed. :D

23 minutes ago, Ruud said:

I expect that Vic will set a precedent on this one and not give us automatic entry as a partial host!

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

I have said it before and will say it again.  If we had simply done the job against Haiti in the GC, we would have gained valuable points and had another high point game to cement our spot in the hex.  All we had to do was not muck it up and we would be toasting Vic because he would have basically handed us a spot in the hex.  Hard to blame him for us blowing a 2 goal lead against Haiti.  

On 12/2/2019 at 12:13 PM, Stryker911 said:

And what did he say about it?

The well-spoken head of CONCACAF said: "Uuuuh, we haven't made the HEX in God knows how long. I think uhh since we were in high school."

Mr. Montagliani continued by telling us that CONCACAF only had a "small window to fit World Cup qualifiers," "and umm that this was in consultation with all our members." "This has been a 3-year process (what happened to that small window?)." "This is not something that was concocted out of somebody's office." "It was full-disclosure, uuuh, full-communication." In closing he goes on "to be quite honest. the thing I'm most proud about is my passport (which he sure uses a lot). and my flag, which is undeniable

Like Christ man, "What in the name of Bruno Gerussi were you thinking of during that "small window" or "3-year process" when you were drafting up this F*** ing CONCACAF World Cup qualifying format? Your passport? Your undeniable flag???

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have said it before and will say it again.  If we had simply done the job against Haiti in the GC, we would have gained valuable points and had another high point game to cement our spot in the hex.  All we had to do was not muck it up and we would be toasting Vic because he would have basically handed us a spot in the hex.  Hard to blame him for us blowing a 2 goal lead against Haiti.  

Blame for the Haiti game remains solely on Godinho.  I can't let it go!

I want to bring up one more soundbite from the Victor Montagliani's interview, which shows that even as late as two days ago, the Canadian head of CONCACAF "STILL DOESN'T GET IT!"

The soundbite starts at the 7:04 mark of the podcast and goes as follows:

Victor Montagliani - "...forcing, I guess, our countries to start playing more meaningful games, uh LESS MEANINGLESS FRIENDLIES..."

Cumulative records for the 2018 & 2019 CAN WNT and CAN MNT

2018/2019 Total World Cup Gold Cup Nations League Friendlies
Women   27         9        0            0        18
Men   13         0        8            4          1

Edited by Ove

13 hours ago, Ove said:

The well-spoken head of CONCACAF said: "Uuuuh, we haven't made the HEX in God knows how long. I think uhh since we were in high school."

Mr. Montagliani continued by telling us that CONCACAF only had a "small window to fit World Cup qualifiers," "and umm that this was in consultation with all our members." "This has been a 3-year process (what happened to that small window?)." "This is not something that was concocted out of somebody's office." "It was full-disclosure, uuuh, full-communication." In closing he goes on "to be quite honest. the thing I'm most proud about is my passport (which he sure uses a lot). and my flag, which is undeniable

Like Christ man, "What in the name of Bruno Gerussi were you thinking of during that "small window" or "3-year process" when you were drafting up this F*** ing CONCACAF World Cup qualifying format? Your passport? Your undeniable flag???

**** off Robert

13 hours ago, costarg said:

Blame for the Haiti game remains solely on Godinho.  I can't let it go!

I am okay with you holding that loss over Godinho's head. I think Davies failure to mark on the winning goal deserves an honorable mention though. 

And we shouldn't let Herdman off the hook so easily either. He was the one who decided to play both at fullback in the first place.

That's right, I am turning this into a no Davies at left back discussion. I can't say it enough.

The Haiti game was not the only one where Davies at left back cost us fifa points. All the supporters of him playing back drool over his potential there, but if we blame Godinho for messing up, we should hold Davies to the same standard. Hell, we should hold him to a higher standard. He's a Bayern player.

If you can't do your defensive job, get the hell out of the backline!

Edited by Obinna

The more I think about it, the more I question whether Herdman actually came up with the tactics against the USA at BMO.

I bet it was Biello and co.

I still can't wrap my head around the decision to change a winning strategy for Orlando. It sickens me, honestly. 

13 hours ago, Ove said:

I want to bring up one more soundbite from the Victor Montagliani's interview, which shows that even as late as two days ago, the Canadian head of CONCACAF "STILL DOESN'T GET IT!"

The soundbite starts at the 7:04 mark of the podcast and goes as follows:

Victor Montagliani - "...forcing, I guess, our countries to start playing more meaningful games, uh LESS MEANINGLESS FRIENDLIES..."

I didn't listen to the podcast, but from the quote you have there he sounds correct. With Nations League games there are less friendlies needed, and with the new World Cup qualifying format, at least for the teams on the bubble, the friendlies that are being played are more meaningful, i.e. less meaningless.

Just because Bayern is currently playing Davies at left back doesn't mean that he's a natural-born defender. He's not, at least not at this stage of his career. Herdman needs to quit being a copycat, and just let the kid do what he does best, attack, attack, attack. Surely we have enough talent to fill in at left back, don't we?