The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 hour ago, Ove said:

How many friendlies in the last 25 years, since the June 12th, 1994 match at Varsity Stadium, in Toronto, against the Netherlands (Oh God, why did it have to be against the Dutch), which attracted 20,104 fans, has the CSA arranged for the MNT against an opponent that would attract a casual Canadian sports fan to buy a ticket? The answer is a big fat ZERO! The only interesting opponents that have played in Canada during the past QUARTER OF A CENTURY are Mexico and the United States whenever we are drawn against them in World Cup or Nations League qualifying. Why in all of those years have teams like England, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Brazil or Argentina never been invited to come and play in Canada? Why hasn't the CSA ever promoted the MNT the same way it promotes the WNT?

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for here.  I can almost guarantee that Canada has invited a number of those teams to come and play here, and there was as strong rumour during Canada soccer's 100th anniversary that England was coming to play.  Ended up being the US. But the reality is that the CSA doesn't have the money to bring in those teams, and o one here is arguing that the CSA has been historically well run.  Is your argument that an independent promoter should be bringing these teams in? 

As for your giant list of El Salvador games, you've mixed in games not played in the US.  But the first couple of games that have attendance listed on Wikipedia have them at 17k and 18k. They didn't hit the 20k mark, they only came really close.  So...congrats?

22 hours ago, Ove said:

How is it that a "terrible team" like El Salvador is able to arrange friendlies against Iceland and the United States? And why is it that after this "terrible team" decides to cancel these two matches that the CSA is not immediately jumping on the opportunity to contact both the Iceland and United States associations/federations to pick up both of these matches? Has the CSA already made the decision to try and qualify for Qatar via the minnows route? And if so, why hasn't the CSA publicly announced that they have opted for this route? Is the CSA just planning to quietly lay low as it usually does when the optics don't look that good?

Of course, it much easier to deflect from answering these question by simply saying F U to me, right?

The mysterious and enigmatic CSA, sometimes I think it was more closed than the National Football Association of North Korea. Sorry for the pessimism, but Canada has immense potential and the CSA seem not to appreciate it.

It's too early to start a Gold Cup 2021 thread, so I will post this here:

http://www.goldcup.org/en/article/draw-delivers-matchups-for-2021-gold-cup-qualifying-matches

It looks like these games will have little effect on the teams ranked 7th to 14th in CONCACAF based on FIFA rankings.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's too early to start a Gold Cup 2021 thread, so I will post this here:

http://www.goldcup.org/en/article/draw-delivers-matchups-for-2021-gold-cup-qualifying-matches

It looks like these games will have little effect on the teams ranked 7th to 14th in CONCACAF based on FIFA rankings.

Too bad Montserrat gets Guatemala. I was hoping they would play Barbados or Bahamas in the first round. I’m really hoping to see them in the gold cup. 

On 12/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, Floortom said:

In contrast El Salvador is going ahead with its friendlies against Iceland and the US even though the Manager has publicly come out against these matches.

Does anyone know how many points they would drop if they were to lose both matches? 

Confirmation on ELO that El Salvador will play Iceland on January 19th and the US on February 1st.

Best case scenario, they lose both and drop 3.5 points (hopefully 4 full points with rounding). Instead of a 15-point difference between them and us, it would be down to 11, 1342 to 1331.

Edited by jtpc

2 hours ago, jtpc said:

Confirmation on ELO that El Salvador will play Iceland on January 19th and the US on February 1st.

Best case scenario, they lose both and drop 3.5 points (hopefully 4 full points with rounding). Instead of a 15-point difference between them and us, it would be down to 11, 1342 to 1331.

They would be at 1342.2 compared to Canada's 1331.2

6 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Now El Salvador wants to make their friendly vs Iceland a "training match" so they don't lose points.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/selecciones/la-selecta-cierra-en-privilegiado-puesto-el-2019-dentro-del-ranking-fifa/669816/2019/

:(

That is the sort of thing that makes a mockery of the system that was put in place.  I get that people will try to game the system, but this seems pretty blatant.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Now El Salvador wants to make their friendly vs Iceland a "training match" so they don't lose points.

http://www.elsalvador.com/deportes/selecciones/la-selecta-cierra-en-privilegiado-puesto-el-2019-dentro-del-ranking-fifa/669816/2019/

:(

Damn that's too bad. I'm assuming the U.S. won't agree to a "training match", so still the opportunity to lose points in Feb. And, as we all know, the important window is March. Hopefully, we all get open up our stockings on Christmas to confirmed March friendlies for Canada.

• Admin locked this topic