The Road to Qatar.

Binky

3 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Because European teams were looking for teams to host. 

Exactly. The entire structure of the world's game has changed with the Nations League concept. There are fewer teams playing friendlies than ever before.

8 minutes ago, Ove said:

Having said that, what's stopping the CSA from approaching the CBF and proposing a two-game Brazilian tour of Canada before the June 2020 FIFA rankings are due out.

Point1: When?

CONMEBOL WCQS are being played in March. In June they will be preparing for Copa America and will likely want to stay in South America and not flying so far away from home.

(It's much easier in fact, for Canada to go to South America in June.)

Point 2: Why?

Do you think there is a realistic chance we will gain points against Brazil?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Playing Brazil right now would be beyond dumb. Everything we should be doing now should be with the intention of gaining fifa points and getting in to the HEX. If we don't improve our standings thru January then we can focus on Olympics and playing high profile friendlies

11 minutes ago, Ove said:

100%! The 15 points we lag behind El Salvador must absolute be reduced by the end of January, but sooner or later the CSA will have to roll the dice. Might as well start negotiating right now for a big point score in March, before it is too late.

Does anyone know what will happen if Canada and El Salvador wind up with the same number of points when the June rankings come out?

The actual points can be broken down into fractions of a point, so they can’t really end up exactly tied from what I understand.

Edited by archer21

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

What would a friendly win vs Costa Rica be worth, 2 or 3pts? Toss in a Nicaragua a few days later. 4 or 5 pts is a nice start. If ES actually play the US we could potential close the gap by 6 pts or so with 2 windows before decision day

Is that accurate?

Seems close enough.

I really like the idea of playing Costa Rica. A game against El Salvador would obviously be best, but Costa Rica are a side we have relative success against for some reason. 

The majority of players would probably be coming from MLS, Liga MX, CanPL and the Costa Rica Primera. Would be a good test and a good chance at points. We get more for a win than we lose with a loss. It's a pretty reasonable gamble.

Here is the potential team we could call:

GK - Crepeau

GK - Carducci

D - de Jong

D - Miller

D - Cordova

D - Laryea

D - Cornelius

D - Edgar or Jakovic

D - Zator

D - Didic

M - Piette

M - Osorio

M - Kaye

M - Eustaquio

M - Teibert (or Bekker for a more offensive option)

F - Borges

F - Cavallini

F - Campbell

F - Akindele

F - Pasquatti 

I neglected the European players, but there are some in Scandinavia like James and Adekugbe we could call. 

My concern would be that a lot of those players would be out of season and lacking sharpness, but perhaps a longer camp could negate that. I think that list keeps us competitive while injecting some fresh blood into the pool.

Edited by Obinna

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Seems close enough.

I really like the idea of playing Costa Rica. A game against El Salvador would obviously be best, but Costa Rica are a side we have relative success against for some reason. 

The majority of players would probably be coming from MLS, Liga MX, CanPL and the Costa Rica Primera. Would be a good test and a good chance at points. We get more for a win than we lose with a loss. It's a pretty reasonable gamble.

Here is the potential team we could call:

GK - Crepeau

GK - Carducci

D - de Jong

D - Miller

D - Cordova

D - Laryea

D - Cornelius

D - Edgar or Jakovic

D - Zator

D - Didic

M - Piette

M - Osorio

M - Kaye

M - Eustaquio

M - Teibert (or Bekker for a more offensive option)

F - Borges

F - Cavallini

F - Campbell

F - Akindele

F - Pasquatti 

I neglected the European players, but there are some in Scandinavia like James and Adekugbe we could call. 

My concern would be that a lot of those players would be out of season and lacking sharpness, but perhaps a longer camp could negate that. I think that list keeps us competitive while injecting some fresh blood into the pool.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like our chances with some of the CanPl players... I'm only judging it off how they played in the Concacaf Champions League Qualifiers and I don't think the league can be counted on against teams of Costa Ricas level just yet.. I personally just feel it's too premature. Especially considering winning these games is crucial for our chances of qualification for the Hex. 

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

Maybe it's just me but I don't like our chances with some of the CanPl players... I'm only judging it off how they played in the Concacaf Champions League Qualifiers and I don't think the league can be counted on against teams of Costa Ricas level just yet.. I personally just feel it's too premature. Especially considering winning these games is crucial for our chances of qualification for the Hex. 

Fair enough! Zator, Didic and Carducci have been called for the all-important nations league games though, so would you trust or axe them? I could be talked into the argument it is too soon for Campbell and Pasquotti, though Borges has probably earned a chance on merit, even against Costa Rica.

@SpursFlu I did forget Theo Bair and I agree with you that the should be considered, perhaps ahead of Terran Campbell.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Fair enough! Zator, Didic and Carducci have been called for the all-important nations league games though, so would you trust or axe them? I could be talked into the argument it is too soon for Campbell and Pasquotti, though Borges has probably earned a chance on merit, even against Costa Rica.

@SpursFlu I did forget Theo Bair and I agree with you that the should be considered, perhaps ahead of Terran Campbell.

It's prediction time.. Theo Bair will get a big transfer at the end of next season. Davies and David get all the pub but Theo Bair.. Mark my word

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

Wait doesn't the european season go until May? Did u not include them cause european soccer won't be on international break?

30 minutes ago, wulei said:

Wait doesn't the european season go until May? Did u not include them cause european soccer won't be on international break?

Yes, but Scandinavian countries have a winter break, so players that are based there could come to a January camp. For example, a few years ago we played against Iceland (maybe even 2 games?) in January and they sent a team of mostly domestic based players.

3 minutes ago, Ove said:

The schedule of the Costa Rican Primera Division is as follows:

The two legs of the Apertura Final between Herediano and Alajuelense will be played on Wednesday, December 4th, and Saturday, December 7th.

The first round of the Clausura will be played on January 12th

The second round on January 15th

The third round on January 19th

The fourth round on January 22nd

The fifth round on January 26th

The sixth round on January 29th

The seventh round on February 5th

Based on this information, I would assume that a friendly between Canada and Costa Rica played in the United States in January would have to take place sometime between January 1st and January 10th, at the latest. That seems like a short window for Herdman to organize a camp for players who haven't played together very much?

If it is some time between January 1 and 10, that would likely allow Alphonso Davies to join up with the squad 

5 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

If it is some time between January 1 and 10, that would likely allow Alphonso Davies to join up with the squad 

As much as we might want him, I could see Bayern pressuring him to stay in Germany during a non-FIFA-window.   Would put Davies in a tough position.  I have no doubt that he would want to play for us, but I could see the club advising him that he seems to have picked up "a bit of a knock and is being held back for precautionary reasons...' or something like that. 

• Admin locked this topic