The Road to Qatar.

Binky

The HEX is obviously the best way to go. Without a doubt.

Plus, If we are to miss out of yet another World Cup, I'd rather be outplayed by relatively good competition over the course of 10 matches then trip up to some stupid minnow (or the likes of Panama or Haiti who could easily beat us) in some idiotic winner take all or home and away aggregate - only to have a chance at a chance.

And for those wanting friendlies to get scheduled to help our chances of "qualifying" for the HEX, or even just to prepare, or to build chemistry, or to solidify tactics, or give different players a chance.... don't hold your breath. The CSA has shown zero interest in scheduling friendlies, and they hired a coach who feels exactly the same way.

Fun times.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

I am absolutely blown away by the fact that the Soccer Canada news feed on social media is all about :

1) a 3 minute profile of Jonathan David

2) player of the year 

who gives a flying fuck??

The pinnacle of this sport is the world cup, and once again we are on the verge of missing it! I read about 10 articles on the subject of the release of the men's standings, and they all say the same thing. Canada is in danger of missing world cup qualifying

But what they don't say is also the same thing: WHAT ARE WE DOING ABOUT IT??

Do we have a plan? Does anyone even care?? A lot of people on this forum beat on Soccer Canada like a drum. Im not one of those (full disclosure: thought Zambrano was the coach to get us there...still don't have the full story on THAT), but Jesus what is going on over there??

I don't give a shit about Herdman's talk about being ready for 2026, we could send a bunch of senior citizens. what will get people interested in this country as a football power is if we PLAY  our way into the world cup. 

I never really understood what the phrase "deafening silence" meant until recently

Should i just pack it in and ignore Canadian soccer till 2026?

Would Soccer Canada even give 2 shits if we all did?  Does anyone there even care about making the world cup??

Jesus 

35 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Maybe they're just content now with going through the minnow-killing knockout path instead for economic/logistical reasons. Doable but perilous, especially the last few steps, and if it turns out the CONCACAF team is playing the CONMEBOL 5th place team, almost hopeless.

Interesting idea from an economic perspective though.  Surely the home games against hex-quality teams would be a bigger draw (and thus higher gate revenue) with similar costs.  

58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Interesting idea from an economic perspective though.  Surely the home games against hex-quality teams would be a bigger draw (and thus higher gate revenue) with similar costs.  

I can't see traipsing about the Caribbean and the old Spanish Main (ie. the consolation path)  being without a decent cost.

Or is it just the friendlies that are the problem?

28 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I can't see traipsing about the Caribbean and the old Spanish Main (ie. the consolation path)  being without a decent cost.

Or is it just the friendlies that are the problem?

How the costs for WCQ is divided up is ultimately settled by the relevant member associations but FIFA's recommendations (p. 34) are as follows:

1. The visiting association will cover all expenses for travel and lodging when traveling in between countries.

2. Once the visitors have landed, the host association will cover all domestic transportation expenses.

3. The host association covers the cost of lodging and domestic transportation for referees.

For friendlies, it's usually that host that covers everything above unless there's a third party promoter.

4 minutes ago, Ove said:

2019 record for CONCACAF top-10

Total Gold Cup Nations League Friendlies
Mexico    17       6             4        7
USA    18       6             4        8
Costa Rica    13       4             4        5
Jamaica    14       5             7        2
Honduras    12       3             4        5
El Salvador    14       3             7        4
Canada      9       4             5        0
Curacao    11       4                5        2
Panama    12       4             4        4
Haiti    14       5             5        4

How is it that Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere, can afford 4 friendlies, but we cannot afford to play any.

Riddle me that, CSA apologiests.

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

How is it that Haiti, the poorest country in the western hemisphere, can afford 4 friendlies, but we cannot afford to play any.

Riddle me that, CSA apologiests.

I get your point.
But CSA spends a lot on the women program. Other then the USA, and to a lesser extent even Mexico, most of those teams don’t spend a dime on the women.

Edited by Floortom

1 hour ago, Ove said:

2018/19 record for CONCACAF top-10

Total Gold Cup/World Cup Nations League Friendlies
Mexico    33       10             4        19
USA    29       6             4        19
Costa Rica    27       7             4        16
Jamaica    24       5             10        9
Honduras    17       3             4        10
El Salvador    20       3             10        7
Canada    13       4             8        1
Curacao    16       4               8        4
Panama    25       7             4        14
Haiti    19       5             8        6

Thank you @Ove for the chart.  I have added the games from 2018 & 2019 together to show an even greater disparity for Canada in comparison to everyone else.

9 games for Canada is a lot more than last years 4!

I joke, but it really isn't funny at all.  We want to compete with the big 3 in CONCACAF.  They played 18, 18 & 15 more friendlies than us in the past 2 years.

Edited by Corazon

41 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I get your point.
But CSA spends a lot on the women program. Other then the USA, and to a lesser extent even Mexico, most of those teams don’t spend a dime on the women.

How many friendlies did the women's team play in 2019?

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

How many friendlies did the women's team play in 2019?

If you exclude the Women’s World Cup it’s 10 friendlies in 2019 if you include the 3 games in the Algarve Cup and the 2 they played in the tournament held in China here in early November. But even if you take those away they still had 5 friendlies this year. 

And if you look at the bigger picture if you take away the Women’s World Cup as well as there qualifiers for the Women’s World Cup, the CanWNT has played 30 matches since 2017(39 if you include World Cup Qualifying and the Women’s World Cup), 17 which were friendlies and the other 13 being tournament matches.

The CanMNT have played 22 matches since 2017 including the 2017 and 2019 Gold Cups as well as CONCACAF Nations League and Nations League Qualifying. The men’s team has only played 6 friendlies as of 2017 and the last being March 24th, 2018 against New Zealand in Spain.

Id say you can see where they choose to spend there money, I could be wrong but I don’t see this as splitting the money between both programs.

Edited by Daryn27

3 minutes ago, Daryn27 said:

If you exclude the Women’s World Cup it’s 10 friendlies in 2019 if you include the 3 games in the Algarve Cup and the 2 they played in the tournament held in China here in early November. But even if you take those away they still had 5 friendlies this year. 

11 friendlies* - 6 official friendlies

Edited by Corazon

6 minutes ago, Corazon said:

11 friendlies* - 6 official friendlies

Which one did I miss 3 in the Algarve Cup,

2 matches in China

5 Friendlies against Spain, Mexico, Nigeria, England, and Norway?

10 Friendlies- 5 official unless I missed a match they had in 2019? 

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Thank you @Ove for the chart.  I have added the games from 2018 & 2019 together to show an even greater disparity for Canada in comparison to everyone else.

9 games for Canada is a lot more than last years 4!

I joke, but it really isn't funny at all.  We want to compete with the big 3 in CONCACAF.  They played 18, 18 & 15 more friendlies than us in the past 2 years.

Amazing. I hate resorting to just flat out blaming the CSA because it feels kind of lazy, but this is unacceptable. How far do they really expect the NT to develop in this country if they don't allocate any of their budget to playing as many games as possible? Is there a single other country in the world with serious WC aspirations that doesn't play friendlies?

Would be cool if there was anyone in mainstream Canadian media who would call them out on this, but then they probably wouldn't be invited onto Herdman's bench

• Admin locked this topic