Jump to content
Binky

The Road to Qatar.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

There are only 35 fifa nations and only 41 concacaf nations. And 1/2 of the teams are out before we’ll even get in so it’s hardly any different than any other WCQ cycle.

I'm just going by what FIFA has on its website:

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/qatar2022/preliminaries/#nccamerica

QUALIFIERS

NORTH, CENTRAL AMERICA AND CARIBBEAN

42PARTICIPATING TEAMS
Edited by Binky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

There are only 35 fifa nations and only 41 concacaf nations. And 1/2 of the teams are out before we’ll even get in so it’s hardly any different than any other WCQ cycle.

Correct on the 35 FIFA nations, and correct on the 41 CONCACAF nations (for @Binky, the ones in CONCACAF but not FIFA are places like Martinique and French Guiana who are considered part of France in FIFA terms). However, the last part about half the teams being out before we even get in is speculation at this point. Until we see the format, we don't know this for certain. Maybe we will have a knockout home and away with Anguilla or something.

Edited by Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking news: 

In an interview conducted in the  TV show "Somos La Sele" here in Panama, the President of the Panamanian Football Federation Manuel Arias said there will be changes in the Concacaf qualifiers. The Fifa ranking of June 2020 will be used so that the first six countries go straight to the final hexagonal. He said that it is essential to play many friendly matches and make a good role in the CNL to be among the top six ranked. He indicated that CONCACAF will make an official announcement about the format in the next few days.

I managed to obtain this infromation thanks to a tweet from the Panamian sport Channel TV-Max. However they have already deleted the link. But I could make a screen capture with my table to share it with you. 

Although I have tried to find more information about it, nothing have been published about it. It seems to me that Manuel Arias should not have given this information to early to the press. 

Anyway check here :

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

The Fifa ranking of June 2020 will be used so that the first six countries go straight to the final hexagonal.

 

Wait, what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Addona said:

Wait, what?

That was my reaction when I read it. It only remains to suppose ... Maybe two hex ... or the best 6 ranked of June 2020 go directly to the SF ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Breaking news: 

In an interview conducted in the  TV show "Somos La Sele" here in Panama, the President of the Panamanian Football Federation Manuel Arias said there will be changes in the Concacaf qualifiers. The Fifa ranking of June 2020 will be used so that the first six countries go straight to the final hexagonal. He said that it is essential to play many friendly matches and make a good role in the CNL to be among the top six ranked. He indicated that CONCACAF will make an official announcement about the format in the next few days.

Ah ha! That's why Herdman has been so cocky about Canada qualifying for Qatar 2022! All we have to do is hammer Cuba twice in the Nations League, and then Herdman will arrange five home internationals during the winter against the Cayman Islands (205), the Bahamas (210), the British Virgin Islands (205), Turks and Caicos Islands (208), and Anguilla (209), and Shazam, we pass Panama and El Salvador in the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings and we're in the F-ing HEX with a 3.5 out of 6 chance to make it to Qatar. Wow, I got to hand it to Mr. Montagliani. He is one sly dude! No wonder he's keeping us all in suspense for sooooo longggg!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Breaking news: 

 The Fifa ranking of June 2020 will be used so that the first six countries go straight to the final hexagonal.

shocked doc rivers GIF

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this is not the case....I'm fine with using NL games as pseudo Qualifying but limiting it to 6 is weird...I'm ok with twelve and play 3 groups of 4 with top two going to the hex...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I hope this is not the case....I'm fine with using NL games as pseudo Qualifying but limiting it to 6 is weird...I'm ok with twelve and play 3 groups of 4 with top two going to the hex...

I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If the information xabuep2 has provided proves to be correct, then, unfortunately, the Road to Qatar has already ended for 30 CONCACAF Nations. Such an arbitrary decision on CONCACAF part can't be right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Good bit. 

Now back to reality. 

If there is but one bit of truth to the breaking news above, I hope it's that part where he says: "He indicated that CONCACAF will make an official announcement about the format in the next few days." To me and many others that is the real reality that matters right now, don't you agree king1010?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Binky said:

Ah ha! That's why Herdman has been so cocky about Canada qualifying for Qatar 2022! All we have to do is hammer Cuba twice in the Nations League, and then Herdman will arrange five home internationals during the winter against the Cayman Islands (205), the Bahamas (210), the British Virgin Islands (205), Turks and Caicos Islands (208), and Anguilla (209), and Shazam, we pass Panama and El Salvador in the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings and we're in the F-ing HEX with a 3.5 out of 6 chance to make it to Qatar. Wow, I got to hand it to Mr. Montagliani. He is one sly dude! No wonder he's keeping us all in suspense for sooooo longggg!

All that underhanded manipulation would have been unnecessary had we kept Zambrano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Binky said:

If there is but one bit of truth to the breaking news above, I hope it's that part where he says: "He indicated that CONCACAF will make an official announcement about the format in the next few days." To me and many others that is the real reality that matters right now, don't you agree king1010?

Yes announcing the format sooner rather than later will be beneficial to all. It won’t be top 6 in fifa rankings to the hex and everyone else is out before it began. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Breaking news: 

In an interview conducted in the  TV show "Somos La Sele" here in Panama, the President of the Panamanian Football Federation Manuel Arias said there will be changes in the Concacaf qualifiers. The Fifa ranking of June 2020 will be used so that the first six countries go straight to the final hexagonal. He said that it is essential to play many friendly matches and make a good role in the CNL to be among the top six ranked. He indicated that CONCACAF will make an official announcement about the format in the next few days.

I managed to obtain this infromation thanks to a tweet from the Panamian sport Channel TV-Max. However they have already deleted the link. But I could make a screen capture with my table to share it with you. 

Although I have tried to find more information about it, nothing have been published about it. It seems to me that Manuel Arias should not have given this information to early to the press. 

Anyway check here :

image.png

I take this as “the top six get a bye to the final hexagonal.” With something getting lost in translation. So there’s probably 12 teams in 2 hex’s. We will have some sort of preliminary round before hand. I’ve stated before that there’s not a lot of fifa dates available for wcq. With nations league going until next March (maybe minnows can play then) and the next nations league starting in the fall of 2021 (didn’t concacaf state its every 2 years?) it leaves little room for qualifiers for Qatar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Therefore, because of the tight schedule it’s likely several big teams get a bye to the later stages of qualifying. This can happen and look more legitimate with the invention of nations league justifying the byes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Double HEX is true, we have:
March 2020-October 2020: pre-HEX qualifiers (8 matches)
November 2020-October 2021: Double HEX (10 matches)
November 2021: CONCACAF 2nd place finishers match (2 matches)
March 2022: Intercontinental Playoff (2 matches)
 

So, CONCACAF would need to go from 29 CONCACAF members not already qualified for the double-hex down to 6. I would think that it would be something like 6 groups of 4 with only the top team going through. You would need to have 5 play-in matches in March. Other possiblity would be to have 8 groups: 5 groups of 4 and 3 groups of 3 early on and that the teams that finish top of their group are compared based on results against the second and third place teams to allow comparing groups of 3 and 4. The top 4 group winners move on and the 4 other group winners face are in a playoff in October 2020 with the last 2 spots for the double HEX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, king1010 said:

Yes announcing the format sooner rather than later will be beneficial to all. It won’t be top 6 in fifa rankings to the hex and everyone else is out before it began. 

At this point I'm not even asking Victor Montagliani what the format will be. All I'm asking for is a formal announcement from CONCACAF informing all of us "on what date CONCACAF intends to reveal its new format and schedule." Now is that too much to ask of Montagliai? Afterall, he's had three years to come up with his un-archaic format? If his format for CONCACAF World Cup qualifying is not announced before the upcoming Nations League matches begin in September, then the whole process wreaks of a fraud worse then Warner, or even Blatter. All of this uncertainty and these many changes since Blatter was ousted, do raise the question of how competence are the new FIFA president and vice-presidents? Not only is the Road to Qatar unclear, FIFA still has not announced which country will host the 2023 Women's World Cup Final. They also, didn't have the ball to take the World Cup Final away from Qatar after campaigning on a platform that was grounded on the fraud to award the 2022 tournament to Qatar, a countries that has never proven it is suitable for hosting a U20 or other FIFA tournament first. And then to ram VAR down everyone's throats along with all these silly Nations League tournaments that nobody understands what they are all about? All we really have is one crime family wiping out another crime family!!! Hey baby, there's a new FIFA MAFIA in town!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

If the Double HEX is true, we have:
March 2020-October 2020: pre-HEX qualifiers (8 matches)
November 2020-October 2021: Double HEX (10 matches)
November 2021: CONCACAF 2nd place finishers match (2 matches)
March 2022: Intercontinental Playoff (2 matches)

I for one welcome our new dodeca overlords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In CONCACAF should there really be 6 countries that a receive a bye into the second last round of World Cup qualifying? To me, 3 or 4 seems far more appropriate. Maybe the countries that qualified for the last World Cup Final? Mexico, the United States and Costa Rica are the only consistent powers in CONCACAF, the rest is a step below. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is the new format of CONCACAF

the information was given by the journalist Hernan Pereyra:

The best 6 ranked countries of FIFA ranking June 2020 will play for 3 places to the world cup Qatar 2022 in the Hex.

 Meanwhile the remaining 29 countries will play in 8 groups: 3 groups with 3 countries and 5 with 4 countries. The winners of these 8 groups go to a second round (March 2021). Then in June 2021  the best 4 play in another round. Finally in September the two winners play  each other and the winner of this will face the 4th placed team of the Hex for one spot to Qatar 2022.

check it out :

https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol/mundial/nota/_/id/5821217/concacaf-cambia-el-formato-de-eliminatoria-rumbo-a-catar-2022

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/cambia-la-eliminatoria-al-mundial

Edited by xabuep2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Here is the new format of CONCACAF

the information was given by the journalist Hernan Pereyra:

The best 6 ranked countries of FIFA ranking June 2020 will play for 3 places to the world cup Qatar 2022 in the Hex.

 Meanwhile the remaining 29 countries will play in 8 groups: 3 groups with 3 countries and 5 with 4 countries. The winners of these 8 groups go to a second round (March 2021). Then in June 2021  the best 4 play in another round. Finally in September the two winners play  each other and the winner of this will face the 4th placed team of the Hex for one spot to Qatar 2022.

check it out :

https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol/mundial/nota/_/id/5821217/concacaf-cambia-el-formato-de-eliminatoria-rumbo-a-catar-2022

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/universal-deportes/futbol/cambia-la-eliminatoria-al-mundial

blink 182 wtf GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...