The Road to Qatar.

Binky

I can’t believe anyone in here would actually want to play in that rinky dink tournament. You’d rather pass up the opportunity to play the best in Concacaf (Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Jamaica) home and away, to play against a bunch of bum teams for 6 matches? What will that prove? Even if Canada finishes 6th in the hex, at least we know where we stand, and will know where can improve. We will not improve playing those small nations. 

Also, the one thing Canada has been pretty damn good is winning at home. I’ll take my chances with those 5 teams, winning 3 games. And does anyone really believe that Canada in a home and away with Haiti/Curecao/Panama etc wouldn’t find a way to fuck it up on the road? Have people not learned? I’ll take a 10 game league over one bad road game away from being eliminated. 

Edited by TOCanada115

6 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

I can’t believe anyone in here would actually want to play in that rinky dink tournament. You’d rather pass up the opportunity to play the best in Concacaf (Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Jamaica) home and away, to play against a bunch of bum teams for 6 matches? What will that prove? Even if Canada finishes 6th in the hex, at least we know where we stand, and will know where can improve. We will not improve playing those small nations. 

Also, the one thing Canada has been pretty damn good is winning at home. I’ll take my chances with those 5 teams, winning 3 games. And does anyone really believe that Canada in a home and away with Haiti/Curecao/Panama etc wouldn’t find a way to **** it up on the road? Have people not learned? I’ll take a 10 game league over one bad road game away from being eliminated. 

This - so sick of watching us play minnows.

The last few months were awesome - played Mexico, US twice. Way more captivating than watching us play Cuba and Belize

^ totally agree. Honestly If you give me the choice between placing last in the hex. Or have the opportunity to play in the long route. I would rather play in the hex. I give Canada no chance to make the world Cup from the long knockouts. We are too inconsistent and our fields to flat for true CONCACAF knockouts. On a side note, maybe we should train in Calgary... There's a bumpy field and a diving Honduran.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure who is watching the ES/DR game, but DR had a gift wrapped chance less than a minute into the game thanks to a sloppy back pass.  They also just had a great shot on goal that beat the keeper but not a defender.

Do I dare let myself hope...?

Not until much deeper into the match.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

You are right. Nobody by the name of Davies in the lineup. Also, they didn't bother with any subs! I wonder if they were allowed back then? In fact, I wondered so much I looked it up after typing that, and it looks like they weren't "Substitution during games was first permitted in 1958." Clearly this is a rule that was made to give an advantage to Americans with their deeper player pool, much like the Gold Cup rules around bringing in new players after the group stage.

Canadian line up last time we beat USA in USA, back in 1957.

image.png.777a2997cbf649c1ad523409424b7c9e.png

Substitute reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitute_(association_football)

Lot of great names on that team sheet. Topped off by the great Wolodymyr Zakaluzny lol.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Looks like ES scored in the 15th minute...

Yup.  But DR has had some chances.  They are sloppy at the back so I wouldn't be surprised to to see ES score more, but DR does have the capacity to bang in one or two as well.  Setting aside the quirks and injustice of the format, it is appalling that ES is ranked higher than us.  

Looking ahead now to the Loser's tournament:

I think we can assume Panama, Haiti, Curacao and ourselves are the stronger sides, followed by Trinidad and Guatemala.

Then, there is a huge gap in quality with the rest. There is just no excuse for Concacaf not to have two Hexes now for a qualification system, like in Asia.  Hex winners qualify, second place play off, winner qualifies, loser plays off against winner of the loser's tournament.

Anyway, based on Nations League performances, I'd say the next tier is Bermuda, Guyana, Dominican Rep, Montserrat, Grenada, Surinam.  Everyone else is just happy to be there.

I think the best we can hope for is to be drawn in a group of 3, so we can still play friendlies each window. 

Next year will be a total waste.  Disgraceful. 

After taking 30 minutes to cool the f#ck down, I've gone straight back to straw clutching and math scenarios.  

We're not quite as "out of it" as I thought.  A win against Jamaica with a 10 multiplier is worth 6 points.  Win just two of those and we're three points back. 

If El Salvador really is playing Iceland in January and travelling to Europe in March then their 1346 is not safe.  They'll likely be playing middling opponents in Europe (no giant would play them) so each loss would likely drop them 4 to 5 points.  They could be back below 1340 by the end of March.

This is not done!!

We have 4 friendlies to reach the hex. Playing concacaf teams is more beneficial for us versus say, UEFA teams. If anyone is going to lose points by losing to us we want it to be the likes of El Salvador. Playing these teams won’t hurt our prep either. I hope to See Panama, El Salvador, Jamaica and Honduras as friendlies. 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

We have 4 friendlies to reach the hex. Playing concacaf teams is more beneficial for us versus say, UEFA teams. If anyone is going to lose points by losing to us we want it to be the likes of El Salvador. Playing these teams won’t hurt our prep either. I hope to See Panama, El Salvador, Jamaica and Honduras as friendlies. 

Why would ES agree to play us?

Step 1: January camp with MLS/CPL players.  If we can even get 3 or 4 games against some minnows with a 5 multiplier that could get us to 1335 heading into March.

Step 2: getting 10 points in March.  We could get 6 points from Jamaica and nearly 4 points from a Trinidad.  Jamaica has an inflated ranking and would likely field a weakened side.  That gets us nearly level with El Salvador.

Step 3: El Salvador loses in March on their European tour.  This could bring them back to the 1340 range.

Step 4:  If we're approximately level, we may be able to get El Salvador to play in June and decide this on the pitch.

our best hope right now is to try and get our ranking close to ES to give us leverage to the point they can't refuse to play us, a scenario where beating us would 100% solidify their spot on the hex, but also run the risk of them not making the hex if they lose. the CSA has A LOT of work to do, ultimately our lack of friendlies is coming back to bite us in the ass, and the cheap bastards better acknowledge that and get to work in trying to fix it NOW

You absolutely echo me there (regarding the lack of friendlies) and the pressure/hole the bloody CSA has now put themselves into!!!!!!😡

They have to be delusional if they sit on their laurels and provide no solution to the situation!!!!... Look where this stance has gotten them, to look no further!!!

CSA gotta leave all bloody frugality aside and right the ship on this!!!!.... We should all send in a petition, lmfao!!!! 😉

Edited by CANMNT_SUPERFAN

• Admin locked this topic