The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the "Jamaican" guys are a little too English in that they likely thought Concacaf is a Mikey Mouse joke and they could just turn up and win games. I expect them to wake up and start to pour it on later in the qualification. Or just quit 

Maybe, who knows what goes on in their collective heads.  The one I know is Antonio. He has been to smaller clubs in, for instance, Slovenia and Romania and lost or drawn (Europa league qualifying).  Players who have been around the block a bit know you can't guarantee turning up for a win whatever your opposition is.   

They were sold out by the hype and the ridiculous selection, more than anything for me.   

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

It’s crazy what’s happening with Jamaica. I truly believe their fans are the craziest and so delusion! Now the huge thing happening is now they are saying local players should be called up and english based players should be sent home. Plus the usually Tappa out. They are freaking out !

This....why you cannot get intoxicated with players on big sexy teams, look at the game sheet & predict the outcome. The no name players on Honduras, ES & Panama are gladiators who come to the arena ready to battle . Let's see how the USA do in SPS tmr

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the "Jamaican" guys are a little too English in that they likely thought Concacaf is a Mikey Mouse joke and they could just turn up and win games. I expect them to wake up and start to pour it on later in the qualification. Or just quit 

You could be right. It could be Tappa doesn’t know how to manage star players. 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

You could be right. It could be Tappa doesn’t know how to manage star players. 

or perhaps the JFF forced him to play that starting lineup?? I know that there were several Jamaican players including Blake who were not happy with the recent flurry of recruits coming in for WCQ games

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

or perhaps the JFF forced him to play that starting lineup?? I know that there were several Jamaican players including Blake who were not happy with the recent flurry of recruits coming in for WCQ games

But the players they have brought in are solid really good players. Yes they need balance and the right tactics. That’s the thing, Tappa I believe is out of his depth. 

On 9/7/2021 at 10:52 PM, SpecialK said:

But the players they have brought in are solid really good players. Yes they need balance and the right tactics. That’s the thing, Tappa I believe is out of his depth. 

I am biased because I like Antonio so much partly because he has put the work in to make himself a scorer not just a bruiser.  And I really don't know Tappa.  

Those caveats aside, I feel like some very good, most often not prima donna, players got sold out by a hype train and a manager that didn't/couldn't put out a real football formation.

Them struggling is a mixed blessing but I think when someone figures out that they need some midfield role players to provide a base for their attacking talent and when those new players get to play a bit together, they will still be a factor.

The English COVID rules will continue to be an issue, however. As we will find out with Hoilett et al. and Mexico next window, if nothing changes.

On that note, I really liked the "See thee rise" series they were doing back in 2012. Until THAT game abruptly cancelled it.

It would be cool if they worked on something like that, only to release it after qualifying is done. If we are in, we've got a mini docu-series to hype people up for the World Cup.

1 minute ago, cronaldo7 said:

Don’t know if these were posted but always find this stuff fascinating. Wish we had more behind the scenes stuff for our squad (but perhaps best not to regarding competitive advantage)

BEHIND THE CREST: USA SOCCER

Laughed to myself in “USMNT Earns Road Point in ES” at 3:36, McKennie only one I can spot not wearing a mask. (Not here for a mask debate just found it too perfect)

Was anyone else super confused about whether to be happy or upset after each goal in the USA vs Honduras game? Before every goal I think "this is the result I want". Then a goal is scored that changes things and I think "wait, maybe this is better though?" then it changes again "hmm, but I guess this could be better though?"

Before this round started I thought Honduras was probably our main competition for the 3rd spot, and even more so after they got a draw in Toronto, but when Honduras was winning, the thoughts intensified that maybe USA could actually crash and burn again this cycle, and USA is the team I most enjoy watching fail. The draw would have had them both lose points. Luckily it felt more like an "any result is a good result" scenario rather than an "any result is a bad result" scenario.

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

Was anyone else super confused about whether to be happy or upset after each goal in the USA vs Honduras game? Before every goal I think "this is the result I want". Then a goal is scored that changes things and I think "wait, should I do live betting with a betting site from playersbest.com on this game?" then it changes again "hmm, but I guess this could be better though?"

Before this round started I thought Honduras was probably our main competition for the 3rd spot, and even more so after they got a draw in Toronto, but when Honduras was winning, the thoughts intensified that maybe USA could actually crash and burn again this cycle, and USA is the team I most enjoy watching fail. The draw would have had them both lose points. Luckily it felt more like an "any result is a good result" scenario rather than an "any result is a bad result" scenario.

I had pretty much the same thoughts. I still can't decide weither to cheer or cry after each goal. It can be seen from both sides.

Edited by Stephanovic

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

Was anyone else super confused about whether to be happy or upset after each goal in the USA vs Honduras game? Before every goal I think "this is the result I want". Then a goal is scored that changes things and I think "wait, maybe this is better though?" then it changes again "hmm, but I guess this could be better though?"

Everything was a step down from the Balrog scenario.  

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I ultimately think it’s wishful thinking that the US crash and burn. I believe they are too deep with too much talent this window.

I’m under the impression we would gladly want Mexico to run away with everything (this is obvious and obviously not against our squad) and that US gets results as well.

All we need is the 3rd spot and their success means good things for Canada (as long as we take care of our business, which I hope and believe we will).

And the final thought is, I get that we all love seeing US fall flat on their face in many things because of their overconfidence and overhype in essentially everything they do (I think a lot of their players are overhyped and are bought by big clubs because of the marketability of being American). 

With that said, when it comes to football in this region, I’d prefer the US to have success in comparison to any of the Central American countries. Like basically everyone else on this board, I cannot stand the theatrics and the bullshit. The integrity of the game is ruined with how these countries approach the game IMO.

Also, it’s debatable but the Americans having success creates positive ripple effects on Canada’s long term success (growth and popularity of MLS, etc).

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I felt the exact same way. When it was 1-0 Honduras, I was loving the thought of the US on 2 points after 3 matches. Then I shifted to thinking the draw was best since it would have prevented Honduras from reaching 5 points. By the end, I was thrilled with Honduras staying at 2 points and having a -3 goal differential.

15 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Seems they have worked something out with many of the countries and players. 

All these can play this weekend despite countries asking for bans since they did not travel.

-Alisson, Fabinho, Roberto Firmino (Liverpool and Brazil)

-Ederson and Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City and Brazil)

-Thiago Silva (Chelsea and Brazil)

-Raphinha (Leeds and Brazil)

-Fred (Manchester United and Brazil)

-Miguel Almiron (Newcastle and Paraguay)

-Raul Jimenez (Wolves and Mexico)

-Francisco Sierralta (Watford and Chile)

-Ben Brereton (Blackburn and Chile)

"All countries involved waived the bans after talks with football's world governing body Fifa.

Fifa said the decision was "a sign of good faith, goodwill and co-operation" and taken "based on positive signals and constructive dialogue Fifa has received from the UK government towards the international match window in October"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58522907

I guess the "positive signals" must be good news for us in regards to Hoilett and maybe Corbeanu against Mexico and Jamaica depending on how things go. 

That all said, I know Villa's players who went are not playing this week but are next.  They are training in Croatia for the week. They were involved in that game that was stopped. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12403783/dean-smith-says-aston-villa-in-no-win-situation-over-emi-martinez-and-emi-buendia

On 9/9/2021 at 9:29 AM, cronaldo7 said:

With that said, when it comes to football in this region, I’d prefer the US to have success in comparison to any of the Central American countries. Like basically everyone else on this board, I cannot stand the theatrics and the bullshit. The integrity of the game is ruined with how these countries approach the game IMO.

I'll be completely honest - I would love to see Costa Rica or Panama qualify and the US get eliminated, just like 2018 - and that is doubly true if we don't qualify ourselves.  Integrity of the game be damned - I love the US wailing about their failures (and hate their general smugness) way more than that - I know that's petty, but that's me.  😉  (And to be clear, I love the US in general, but not in sports.)

Having said that, pragmatically speaking, for our own qualification chances it's probably best if they beat all the other CONCACAFers (except us and Mexico), and so, begrudgingly, I "cheer" for them.  👨‍❤️‍👨

• 2 weeks later...