The Road to Qatar.

Binky

I give Canada no chance of making the semi-final group let alone the Hex.  Based on our present form chances are we are grouped with A Carribbean nation (Haiti or Jamaica), Mexico or Costa Rica as favouries and either Honduras or El Salvador, as the Central American team based on our luck.  Based on that I see no chance of snagging three points away.  I just don’t see Herdman as a man saavy enough to win away, if we can’t beat a “lesser” opponent on neutral ground.  If the CSA doesn’t make any changes and keep him for 2026, than they are the biggest hypocrites ever.

10 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I give Canada no chance of making the semi-final group let alone the Hex.  Based on our present form chances are we are grouped with A Carribbean nation (Haiti or Jamaica), Mexico or Costa Rica as favouries and either Honduras or El Salvador, as the Central American team based on our luck.  Based on that I see no chance of snagging three points away.  I just don’t see Herdman as a man saavy enough to win away, if we can’t beat a “lesser” opponent on neutral ground.  If the CSA doesn’t make any changes and keep him for 2026, than they are the biggest hypocrites ever.

We made the semi final group under floro we’ll do it this time as well. It’s the hex that is the problem.

18 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

you willing to put money on us not making the semi final wcq stage? Because ill take the other side of that bet. 

53 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Montagliani is on record stating that as long as there are 32 teams qualifying for the Qatar world cup, Concacaf will keep the Hex for this cycle. Link is posted in another thread on this topic, somewhere on this forum.

Here's the discussion. Begins at the 1:15 mark.

1) Nations League will determine WCQ seeding

2) For a 32 team World Cup "the likelihood of a hex is not only high, it is a probability"

If that is indeed the case then the format will likely be as follows:

March 2020: 2 leg knockout round for the minnows

June 2020: Another 2 leg knockout round for the minnows

Sept 2020 to Nov 2020: Semi-final round  with 3 groups of 4

March 2021 to Nov 2021: Hex

March 2022: Intercontinental Playoff

April 2022: FIFA World Cup Draw in Qatar

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

How much do you want to bet Canada doesn’t make the semi final round of WCQ?

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

2) For a 32 team World Cup "the likelihood of a hex is not only high, it is a probability"

Doesn't WCQ have to end by November of 2021?

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I would be happier than a pig in ____ if that is the schedule and the format applied.

The only date that's not on this schedule is when Victor Montagliani intends to hold the CONCACAF qualifying draw?

Also the time frame for the semi-final round is pretty tight would you say? To fit six international match days into two or three months while the European domestic leagues are getting up and running does not seem realistic, especially as these leagues would already be required to compromise their schedules the following year. It would not surprise me at all, if many of the top European nations choose to "accidentally" suffer some "upset defeats" during World Cup qualifying in order to avoid going to Qatar. 

Edited by Binky

18 minutes ago, Binky said:

I would be happier than a pig in ____ if that is the schedule and the format applied.

The only date that's not on this schedule is when Victor Montagliani intends to hold the CONCACAF qualifying draw?

Also the time frame for the semi-final round is pretty tight would you say? To fit six international match days into two or three months while the European domestic leagues are getting up and running does not seem realistic, especially as these leagues would already be required to compromise their schedules the following year. It would not surprise me at all, if many of the top European nations choose to "accidentally" suffer some "upset defeats" during World Cup qualifying in order to avoid going to Qatar. 

There is a 2 match window in each of Sept, Oct, and Nov 2020 so it's doable. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

There is a 2 match window in each of Sept, Oct, and Nov 2020 so it's doable. 

I stand corrected. I guess our European-based players will be collecting a lot of air mile points during those three months, either that or there will be a few minor injuries that will prevent them from coming to North America and play for Canada. But hey, that's old school and were used to that, aren't we?

10 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

With the likely format above, will there be 6 countries that enter CONCACAF World Cup qualifying at the semi-final stage?

If so, will those 6 countries be determined solely on the results of this year's CONCACAF Nations League? i.e. with the Group A, B, C, & D winners claiming 4 of those spots. Would the two remaining semi-final spots be awarded to the 2 best second place finishers from Groups A, B, C & D? Which would make Canada's two matches against Cuba on September 6th and 10th really crucial on the road to Qatar, no?

Edited by Binky

6 hours ago, Binky said:

With the likely format above, will there be 6 countries that enter CONCACAF World Cup qualifying at the semi-final stage?

If so, will those 6 countries be determined solely on the results of this year's CONCACAF Nations League? i.e. with the Group A, B, C, & D winners claiming 4 of those spots. Would the two remaining semi-final spots be awarded to the 2 best second place finishers from Groups A, B, C & D? Which would make Canada's two matches against Cuba on September 6th and 10th really crucial on the road to Qatar, no?

No idea.  I'm just speculating on what the format will be based on past cycles and the available dates.

7 hours ago, Binky said:

Without listening to the podcast (will do so later, it is one of my favourites), I would say that's precisely how it will go down. 

Massive opportunity now for us against Cuba and the USA, and as I explained in another post, it sets up very nicely now. 

The job following our shock QF exit becomes:

1. Beat Cuba (again), this time with the wisdom that pummeling them, while necessary, doesn't win us anything unless we beat the Americans. Nothing like a literal do-over against the exact same team to crystallize the lesson, right?

2. Beat the Americans for something actually important (wcq seeding). These two legs are their chance at redemption. This is their chance to prove they belong with the best in concacaf. That is what they wanted against Mexico, so now they have it.

The nations league just became much more meaningful than the Gold Cup!

Edited by Obinna

18 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

No idea.  I'm just speculating on what the format will be based on past cycles and the available dates.

Not only is this extremely frustrating, it is also utterly ridiculous!!!

The FIFA World Cup is supposed to represent the grandest of all soccer tournaments and if Gianni Infantino is not grabbing the bull by the horns in organizing this tournament, and instead leaving it up to individual confederation presidents to set dates and formats without any deadlines in place, then obviously we have a serious problem on our hands. If this is indeed proves to be the case, it would clearly reflect that the manner in which this World Cup is being administered to is nothing short of Mickey Mouse.

The first CONCACAF Nations League, League A match in Group B with Bermuda hosting Panama is scheduled for September 5, 2019. THAT'S ONLY TWO MONTHS FROM NOW!!! If these matches are going to be used to determine the 6 countries that get directly seeded into the CONCACAF semi-final round of the 2022 World Cup qualifying competition, then should not all 12 of the countries remaining in contention for these 6 seeded places know what is at stake with just 67 days notice. If they don't know any more than we do, I think someone has definitely dropped the ball on this one.

I am going to email each of the 12 CONCACAF national associations and see if they can shed any more light on this totally unsatisfactory situation.

I have sent the following email to: general.secretariat@concacaf.org; bfa@bermudafootball.com; info@canadasoccer.com; ejecutivo@fedefutbol.com; secretaria.general.AFC@gmail.com; organization@ffk.cw; info@fhfhaiti.com; fenafuth@fenafuth.org.hn; secretariatgeneral@fff.fr; presidenciafmf@fmf.mx;  info@fepafut.com; ttfa1908@gmail.com; communications@ussoccer.org

Good morning.

I am writing to you, the 12 CONCACAF member associations still in contention for the 2019 CONCACAF Nations League championship, with regard to the relationship between the CONCACAF Nations League and the CONCACAF World Cup qualifications.

More specifically, I am trying to ascertain how the six nations that are directly seeded into the 2022 World Cup CONCACAF semi-final round are determined? Will these six places be allocated to the four CONCACAF Nations League, League A, group winners, along with the two best second-place group finishers? Or is there an alternative qualifying format in place?

With just two months to go, before Bermuda hosts Panama, on September 5, 2019, in the first of the CONCACAF Nations League, League A matches, I am still not sure as to how the 6 countries that will be seeded directly into the CONCACAF semi-final World Cup qualifying round are going to be determined?

Thanking you in anticipation, 

Now it's wait and see.

Edited by Binky

1 hour ago, Binky said:

I have sent the following email to: general.secretariat@concacaf.org; bfa@bermudafootball.com; info@canadasoccer.com; ejecutivo@fedefutbol.com; secretaria.general.AFC@gmail.com; organization@ffk.cw; info@fhfhaiti.com; fenafuth@fenafuth.org.hn; secretariatgeneral@fff.fr; presidenciafmf@fmf.mx;  info@fepafut.com; ttfa1908@gmail.com; communications@ussoccer.org

Good morning.

I am writing to you, the 12 CONCACAF member associations still in contention for the 2019 CONCACAF Nations League championship, with regard to the relationship between the CONCACAF Nations League and the CONCACAF World Cup qualifications.

More specifically, I am trying to ascertain how the six nations that are directly seeded into the 2022 World Cup CONCACAF semi-final round are determined? Will these six places be allocated to the four CONCACAF Nations League, League A, group winners, along with the two best second-place group finishers? Or is there an alternative qualifying format in place?

With just two months to go, before Bermuda hosts Panama, on September 5, 2019, in the first of the CONCACAF Nations League, League A matches, I am still not sure as to how the 6 countries that will be seeded directly into the CONCACAF semi-final World Cup qualifying round are going to be determined?

Thanking you in anticipation, 

Now it's wait and see.

You’re likely to get no response except for at best a timeline for when the format will be announced but at least you’re trying.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Without listening to the podcast (will do so later, it is one of my favourites), I would say that's precisely how it will go down. 

Massive opportunity now for us against Cuba and the USA, and as I explained in another post, it sets up very nicely now. 

The job following our shock QF exit becomes:

1. Beat Cuba (again), this time with the wisdom that pummeling them, while necessary, doesn't win us anything unless we beat the Americans. Nothing like a literal do-over against the exact same team to crystallize the lesson, right?

2. Beat the Americans for something actually important (wcq seeding). These two legs are their chance at redemption. This is their chance to prove they belong with the best in concacaf. That is what they wanted against Mexico, so now they have it.

The nations league just became much more meaningful than the Gold Cup!

Had this topic been brought up for brain-storming at an earlier date, then the Nations League and the Gold Cup could both have been equally meaningful in this respect. That way it could have been possible to fill the 6 CONCACAF World Cup semi-final qualifying spots with the four CONCACAF Nations League, League A, group winners, along with the winner and runner up of the Gold Cup competition. Unfortunately, with the Gold Cup competition almost completed, it is too late to use that idea. Anyhow, it will be interesting to see what Victor Montagliana comes up with. Whatever it is, I'm sure Canada will have a fair chance to qualify for  from Qatar 2022, and not be faced with a disadvantage like the underhanded tactics employed by Jack Warner to favour Trinidad & Tobago.

I just hope that Victor Montagliani doesn't keep everyone waiting until August 31st before he reveals the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying format and dates.

1 minute ago, SkuseisLoose said:

You’re likely to get no response except for at best a timeline for when the format will be announced but at least you’re trying.

I guess we posted at the same time and were thinking about the same topic at the same time. I guess after the Haiti loss we are all now looking forward to The Road to Qatar.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:50 AM, Binky said:

The FIFA World Cup is supposed to represent the grandest of all soccer tournaments and if Gianni Infantino is not grabbing the bull by the horns in organizing this tournament, and instead leaving it up to individual confederation presidents to set dates and formats without any deadlines in place, then obviously we have a serious problem on our hands.

It has always been up to the confederations to determine their own qualifying formats. As for dates, I'm sure they all have a deadline of having their qualifications finished before the window for intercontinental playoffs.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

For anyone who is curious how this is similar/different from the 2018 qualifying process, this has 2 knockout rounds, whereas for 2018 there were 3. In 2018 it was 14 teams in the first round (7 move on). 13 teams join those 7 in the 2nd round (10 move on). 2 more teams join those 10 (6 move on).

For it to be 2 rounds, I'm not sure what other combinations could be done to make it work, but I think I came up with something that works math-wise. There are 35 total teams, trying to end up with 12 for the semi final round.

1st round: 9 teams have a bye, the remaining 26 teams play a home and away to eliminate 13 teams. Left with 22 teams total.

2nd round: 2 teams have a bye, the remaining 20 teams play a home and away to eliminate 10 teams. Left with 12 teams total.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

It has always been up to the confederations to determine their own qualifying formats. As for dates, I'm sure they all have a deadline of having their qualifications finished before the window for intercontinental playoffs.

True enough, but the World Cup has always been staged during the summer and that's not happening this time around, and also the fact that the CONCACAF Nations League is a new tournament, which is going to have an impact on the seeding for CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, I'd say that the circumstances are slightly different this time around, wouldn't you? Bearing this in mind, shouldn't CONCACAF fully disclose the details of the format it intends to use before the next ball is kicked in the CONCACAF Nations League, which in this case is September 5, 2019, so that everyone knows in advance what's up? And if Victor Montagliani happens to be dragging his heels in doing so, wouldn't it be Gianni Infantino's responsibility to point out to Victor Montagliani the urgency of doing so a.s.a.p.?

We’ll see in a few years time, but if Herdman can learn from his mistakes, atleast he messed up in the Gold Cup. I know the loss was one of the most painful ones because of all of the hype around our talent, but I’d much rather get all the kinks out now in this Micky Mouse tournament (where the Mexicans could care less about it to send their best players) and qualify for the World Cup than find them out later.

Edited by Guest

If we’re only having 2 rounds before the semi final round it could go something like this. The 4 group winners automatically qualify for the semifinal round if Martinique wins their group the second place teams take their place. Next you have 31 fifa nations left because all the non fifa nations are removed. The top remaining nation gets a bye to the second round and the remaining 30 nations play a home and away round (1v 30,2 v 29...) leaving us with 15 nations. Next the top nation is put back in so we have 16 teams they play a home and away and the winners joins the semi final round.

• Admin locked this topic