The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 minute ago, narduch said:

I know some here are superstitious.

But with the news of NHL teams being allowed to travel to Canada. If we win our Group, what are the chances we could host Haiti or Nicaragua at home?

I hope the CSA is working in the background to make that happen.

Ultimately it is up to our federal government at the end of the day

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

But with the news of NHL teams being allowed to travel to Canada. If we win our Group, what are the chances we could host Haiti or Nicaragua at home?

Zero. Those plans have already been made a while ago, before any conversations with PHAC would have begun.

I assume, similar to last year, the NHL is leading these discussions and other teams/leagues will come knocking once a decision has been made.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Zero. Those plans have already been made a while ago, before any conversations with PHAC would have begun.

I assume, similar to last year, the NHL is leading these discussions and other teams/leagues will come knocking once a decision has been made.

I actually assume Chicago is where it will be.

Perhaps we are using a Chicago based charter company?

3 hours ago, narduch said:

That would be something! Unfortunately Ontario would be unable to host. 

I would originally suggest Montreal but vs Haiti that is probably not the best decision , with such a large Haitian population, unless you leave the V's in charge of ticket distribution for ~3000 fans. 

Vancouver or even Edmonton (A.D. hometown) would be pretty sweet! 

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I really should read the entire thread before hit the reply button...

Well hopefully for the Ocho / Octagonal if all goes to plan. 

More bads news out of Haiti.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/gangs-raid-police-stations-weapons-haiti-deadly-violence-surges-2021-06-07/

Enough to make Gareth Wheeler 💩 his pants.

For reference, the neighbourhood of Martissant is south-west of the stadium and not on the way to or from the airport stadium and best hotel.

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

More bads news out of Haiti.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/gangs-raid-police-stations-weapons-haiti-deadly-violence-surges-2021-06-07/

Enough to make Gareth Wheeler 💩 his pants.

For reference, the neighbourhood of Martissant is south-west of the stadium and not on the way to or from the airport stadium and best hotel.

So the police can’t contain these gangs, they already attempted to hijack a bus of footballers and now we’re rolling in with a $150 million squad? Who is paying for security? 

Absolute joke. Move the game to the Dominican at least.

I agree they should have not allowed these matches to be played in Haiti. Doesn't FIFA force Syria and Palestine to play in neutral countries.

Well at least Nicaragua managed to get in unharmed. Had no idea Haiti's stadium had artificial turf.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So the police can’t contain these gangs, they already attempted to hijack a bus of footballers and now we’re rolling in with a $150 million squad? Who is paying for security? 

Absolute joke. Move the game to the Dominican at least.

The bus scene wasn't pretty but it was more likely an attempted extortion or simply intimidation.

We shall see what happens with the Nicaraguan team...

It is actually really pathetic that they would allow this to happen there.  There is a clear and obvious danger to our players and people who are willing to take hostages or highjack probably have a pretty strong incentive to try and grab a footy player that makes  millions of dollars and is worth many 10s of millions to his club team.  

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Had no idea Haiti's stadium had artificial turf...

There were renos that started back in October, after it was announced that this round was delayed. Brand new turf and upgraded drainage system amongst other things. FIFA paid just under $300 000 USD for these renovations to the Sylvio Cator stadium.

The Dutch company Edel Grass that did the turf for them, also did the artificial turf in Paramaribo for Suriname's home stadium around the same time in the Fall of last year.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

IF Canada end up playing Haiti in the next round, what's the likelihood that we actually play in Haiti? I mean, the CSA will obviously be strongly against it. It clearly wouldn't be ok. Do we start some sort of petition to show how important it is to us as well?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/article/canada-yet-open-border-athletes-despite-nhl-exemption/

Canada’s men’s soccer team moved its first scheduled "home" match in World Cup qualifying in late March to Orlando. And Tuesday’s game against Suriname, also officially a Canadian home date, is being played in Bridgeview, Ill.

Should Canada draw or beat Suriname, it will move into a second-round home-and-away playoff June 12 and 15, with the Canadians looking to play the second leg in Bridgeview if they advance.

The second-round playoff winner advances to the final round of CONCACAF qualifying, which starts in September. Canada would play the other seven teams home and away, meaning it would have seven home matches — which it hopes will be before home fans.

Home matches are also important to Canada Soccer’s bottom line.

"You’re desperate to have that feeling back. The fans make a huge difference in your home matches," Canada coach John Herdman said. "While we’re not going to have that experience, we know the country will be behind us and we’ve just got to hope that come September, October, November, we’re in these games and those allowances have been made for football. Because for this sport, this is a massive, massive event."

• Admin locked this topic