The Road to Qatar.

Binky

4 minutes ago, grigorio said:

aside from our CB depth I've got this nagging feeling that we may not have enough playmaking in our midfield with this group being down Hutch and Arfield. Who's threading the needle to Larin and David? We've got some finishers but do we have the playmakers we need? Nervous musings...

Osorio?

5 minutes ago, grigorio said:

aside from our CB depth I've got this nagging feeling that we may not have enough playmaking in our midfield with this group being down Hutch and Arfield. Who's threading the needle to Larin and David? We've got some finishers but do we have the playmakers we need? Nervous musings...

When Gareth Wheeler  (and Oliver Platt) gush about our depth a midfield / attacking midfield , I think of this.

That was nice of Suriname to stop at 6-0. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like the game wasn't strenuous and they were able to sub half the outfield squad out, so they may not be that fatigued against us.

We know what the job is tomorrow, just pick up the three points and don't pick up any suspensions for the following game (and hopefully no injuries either). Worry about Suriname after that.

49 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Nicaragua, packed stadium , fans going nuts. 

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Nicaragua now up 3-0 on Belize. They are +8 goal difference on Haiti currently.

Do the Nicaragua players want to get COVID?!? Not sure this is a great time to run to the fence to celebrate with the fans breathing mask-less all over you! 😲

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

19 minutes ago, grigorio said:

For all his faults - that’s what MAK is good at.  

6 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Why's nobody mentioning Eustaquio's passing? He won't setup final balls but he'll get the ball to the front 3 in transition/ the final 3rd and then a combination of them 3+ Laryea and Osorio/Kaye is more than enough to do the rest.

Everybody is just going through that twitchy pre-game phase where we doubt everything.  It comes from a long history of crushing disappointment.  

44 minutes ago, grigorio said:

You don’t exactly need to thread the needle to put Davies through sometimes. He does an awful lot himself. That’s the beauty of him 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What to look for in the matches tomorrow:

Group A
El Salvador will look to smash the U. S. Virgin Islands by as many goals as possible to go into their Tuesday match with the best possible goal difference

Group B
Our group. We only need to beat Aruba. One goal does the trick and puts us ahead on goal difference.

Group C
Curaçao will look to beat the British Virgin Islands by 8 goals. (Guatemala only managed to beat the British V.I. by 3 goals btw)
If Curaçao score 8 goals they will be tied on goal difference with Guatemala but Curaçao will be ahead on "Goals For" the second tiebreak and can go into the final game with Guatemala needing only a draw.

I'll do the other groups later.

What to look for tomorrow, continued.

Group D
Panama will beat Aguilla tomorrow. I don't think the number of goals matter. On Tuesday, Panama will still need to "not lose" to the Dominican Republic to go through (win or draw ).

Group E
Haiti will look to beat the Turks and Caicos by 9 goals. (Nicaragua managed to beat the Turks and Caicos by 7 goals back in March btw)
If Haiti beat the Turks and Caicos by 9 goals or more, they will be ahead on goal difference and will only need a draw on Tuesday
If Haiti beat the Turks and Caicos by 8 goals, a draw vs Nicaragua on Tuesday could go to the ridiculous tiebreaks.
If Haiti beat the Turks and Caicos by 7 goals or fewer, then Nicaragua will be ahead on goal difference and will only need a draw on Tuesday to go through to the next round.

Group F
Trinidad will beat the Bahamas tomorrow. I don't think the number of goals matter as on Tuesday they will still need to beat St. Kitts, who are top of the group.

@narduch did I get it all right?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Watched the full Suriname vs Bermuda game. Strange strategy but Bermuda pretty much pressed all game long while Suriname countered to the wings. Suriname pretty much scored on every chance they got. Its strange, wasn't a dominant 6-0 win.  More like Bermuda gave up 4 goals by pressing up field at a terrible or with crazy backline errors. 

Thanks for the analysis OM. Knowing they only need the win makes it clearer (to me) that JH should be managing the A squad’s minutes and fielding a mostly B side tonight who should be able to get the job done if not also dominate. Bring on whichever core A side players don’t start for a tune up/prep minutes after 60.

Kind of the reverse of Suriname’s approach to subs yesterday. That was the advantage of our drubbing of CI right there. Suriname had to push for lots of goals but couldn’t risk their starters for another 30 to gain the upper hand especially if they have hopes of getting past us to two more games as well.  Now we only need the win and can get more rest and less risk of injury to key players. We need to use that. 

(+1 to Bobsaget’s take above too. That’s what I thought as well. Suriname did look more professional in their buildup, but Bermuda gave them most of their goals with lack of pressure and bad or no coverage)

Edited by shorty

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What to look for tomorrow, continued.

Group D
Panama will beat Aguilla tomorrow. I don't think the number of goals matter. On Tuesday, Panama will still need to "not lose" to the Dominican Republic to go through (win or draw ).

Group E
Haiti will look to beat the Turks and Caicos by 9 goals. (Nicaragua managed to beat the Turks and Caicos by 7 goals back in March btw)
If Haiti beat the Turks and Caicos by 9 goals or more, they will be ahead on goal difference and will only need a draw on Tuesday
If Haiti beat the Turks and Caicos by 8 goals, a draw vs Nicaragua on Tuesday could go to the ridiculous tiebreaks.
If Haiti beat the Turks and Caicos by 7 goals or fewer, then Nicaragua will be ahead on goal difference and will only need a draw on Tuesday to go through to the next round.

Group F
Trinidad will beat the Bahamas tomorrow. I don't think the number of goals matter as on Tuesday they will still need to beat St. Kitts, who are top of the group.

@narduch did I get it all right?

So many scenarios

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Toda's games. USVI v ES is really 7pm ET. All times ET.

image.png.90feeba4e053b4138321c8a806178c90.png

El Salvador will beat the bricks off US Virgin Islands

Haiti will dominate Turks and Caicos that's for sure

Trinidad & Tobago needing results will beat Bahamas to set up a showdown with St Kitts for top of the group

Canada beats Aruba but by how many? It is really anyone's guess

Panama beats Anguilla easily

9 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

Watched the full Suriname vs Bermuda game. Strange strategy but Bermuda pretty much pressed all game long while Suriname countered to the wings. Suriname pretty much scored on every chance they got. Its strange, wasn't a dominant 6-0 win.  More like Bermuda gave up 4 goals by pressing up field at a terrible or with crazy backline errors. 

I only saw the highlights of the goals, it was difficult to judge the Surinam team quality based on just the goals because the first five were scored against Cayman Islands-like defending.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

El Salvador will beat the bricks off US Virgin Islands

Haiti will dominate Turks and Caicos that's for sure

Trinidad & Tobago needing results will beat Bahamas to set up a showdown with St Kitts for top of the group

Canada beats Aruba but by how many? It is really anyone's guess

Panama beats Anguilla easily

Its like a filler day

• Admin locked this topic