The Road to Qatar.

Binky

21 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else low-key hoping for the Nicaragua upset?

Not entirely sure... is it better to play  in Port-au-Prince or Managua?  We probably know Haiti better than Nicaragua so that may be a bonus, although Haiti’s direct and physical style gave us a problem last time.  Plus who will be the ref?... higher chance of a dodgy ‘friend of Nicaragua’ appointed for the match.  With all that said, it’s entirely possible that the Suriname match will be tougher than these ones.

Edited by TOcanadafan

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Not entirely sure... is it better to play  in Port-au-Prince or Managua?  We probably know Haiti better than Nicaragua so that may be a bonus, although Haiti’s direct and physical style gave us a problem last time.  Plus who will be the ref?... higher chance of a dodgy ‘friend of Nicaragua’ appointed for the match.  With all that said, it’s entirely possible that the Suriname match will be tougher than these ones.

Nicaragua would be way easier than Haiti.

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

I think the difference in quality between the two teams is enough to make me want to play in Central America for once.

Maybe i’m just paranoid after the Haiti comeback at the Gold Cup though

Sometimes I find myself wanting Nicaragua to squeak through rather than Haiti, but most of the time I am hoping Haiti do and that we get a chance to set things right. It's riskier going through Haiti, but would be all the sweeter if we accomplish it. I'm sure if we get through our group and Nicaragua gets through their group, ultimately I'll be happy we play Nicaragua.

5 minutes ago, gator said:

You would think after what happened with Belize they would be banned from hosting matches, after seeing that video is any footballer going to feel safe in that country?

I agree but it looks like we'll be playing there anyways so this is the next best solution.

I just want these guys to make the final 8. I think they will be very competitive in that final round. Yes it will be a big disappointment if they make the final round and don’t make it to the World Cup, but at least they will be in a round that on paper they should be in with the talent they have. Yes it’s great that we have these players winning league championships  in good caliber leagues in Europe and playing major roles in their teams winning. However, for me the Octagon needs to be achieved at the very least , that’s what’s going to wake up the general sports fans in this country to believing that Canada can be competitive with the men’s team as well and not only with the women.  We need this so badly right now to at the very least make the Octagon, anything less is total failure. Moreover, it won’t matter how many goals or championships Canadian players are scoring or winning if at the very least we keep failing to make this final round.

Edited by SoccMan

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

I just want these guys to make the final 8. I think they will be very competitive in that final round. Yes it will be a big disappointment if they make the final round and don’t make it to the World Cup, but at least they will be in a round that on paper they should be in with the talent they have. Yes it’s great that we had these players winning leave championship in good caliber leagues in Europe and playing major roles in their teams winning. However, for me the Octagon needs to be achieved at the very least , that’s what’s going to wake up the general sports fans in this country to believing that Canada can be competitive with the men’s team as well and not only with the women.  We need this so badly right now to at the very least make the Octagon, anything less is total failure. Moreover, it won’t matter how many goals or championships Canadian players are scoring or winning if at the very least we keep failing to make this final round.

Realistically, it is still pretty unlikely that we make it to Qatar (if I am being honest).  But the chance to play in the Octo and have that many competitive games against quality opposition would (by itself) be big for the program.   Those games would be highly competitive, we would have our best squad assembled throughout, and the media attention on them would increase significantly over what we have seen to date.  

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Realistically, it is still pretty unlikely that we make it to Qatar (if I am being honest).  But the chance to play in the Octo and have that many competitive games against quality opposition would (by itself) be big for the program.   Those games would be highly competitive, we would have our best squad assembled throughout, and the media attention on them would increase significantly over what we have seen to date.  

I agree, let’s just make the octagon and show the world we at least belong. 

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just make the final 8 that’s all I’m asking I can accept not making the World Cup again this time but it’s time this national team I’m makes it to the final round that’s all I ask, and as I say all this I do realize that in a one game affair with Surinam who have some decent players anything can happen, a bad bounce here and there and a keeper making save after save,  or a CONCACAF ref who is card happy or gives a penalty that was never a penalty . But man it’s time to get over this final hump and make it to this final round.

Edited by SoccMan

44 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We are the third most valuable team in CONCACAF by some margin. I've been there through it all and can understand the pessimism but now is the time to believe. We have two wonderkids who are more valuable than entire national teams of our rivals for qualification. Then you add in top division quality players like Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Larin, Borjan along with MLS stars.. it's tough to accept anything less than 4th in CONCACAF. 

I really don't like the idea of treating this as prep for 2026, which is something I've heard. It's a guaranteed spot (probably) but a 4 year wait is a 4 year wait. I'm trying to be very realistic about our chances in general, but I think 4th in the Oct is something we have to drive at instead of treating like a cherry on top.

1 minute ago, PiedPilko said:

I really don't like the idea of treating this as prep for 2026, which is something I've heard. It's a guaranteed spot (probably) but a 4 year wait is a 4 year wait. I'm trying to be very realistic about our chances in general, but I think 4th in the Oct is something we have to drive at instead of treating like a cherry on top.

Yeah I mean realistically if we were to let's say finish 4th we would have to go to the Intercontinental playoff just to even try to qualify and in the playoff we would most likely have to face a South American team at least to my understanding or would we face an Oceania team in the playoff or an Asian team? Because every WCQ cycle the playoff format changes so

• Admin locked this topic