The Road to Qatar.

Binky

3 hours ago, Binky said:

I'd say Qatar has a headache or two to contend with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–19_Qatar_diplomatic_crisis

Things could get mighty interesting depending on who qualifies, and who draws who in the tournament.

Almost looks like some soccer fans taking a last-minute False Creek ferry ride to BC Place to catch an Israel vs. Iran soccer match, don't it?

Iranian missile boats patrol territorial waters in the Gulf

Other posting some gunboats you have done nothing to substantiate your claims that seem to be rather ill informed. 

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Other posting some gunboats you have done nothing to substantiate your claims that seem to be rather ill informed. 

Oh thank God. My prayers have been answered. It's such a relief to know that FIFA has absolute no reason for any safety concerns in this peace-loving region of the Strait of Hormuz.

And yes, you are 100% correct. It's been a very long ago since I've heard anything from Sammy bin Laden's kids, Hamza in particular. So I am rather ill informed, to say the least.

In closing on this matter, I would like to thank you for putting my mind at ease. We can now all throw caution to the wind and return our attention to focusing 100% on soccer and the Road to Qatar.

BTW Do you now of any good head-shops in the region?

Edited by Binky

14 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Started to get in the World Cup mood when I realized Qatar is already nearing completion of its stadiums. The first two have fully retractable roofs with air conditioning and one of them happens to look like the world's largest vagina.

All this oil money. Makes one wonder how much Sepp Blatter got for letting Qatar win the bid? I do know they couldn't afford to keep Wesley Sneijder.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-sneijder-gets-sent-off-while-playing-in-qatar-and-reacts-shockingly-20181110

19 minutes ago, king1010 said:

whats going on in here?

Nothing. I was just curious about the safety of staging the World Cup in Qatar. Situations like the Munich Olympics do happen. So do you feel its unreasonable to raise this concern when the World Cup is being staged in the world's most volatile region?

After all, when Canada qualifies there will be Canadian players, officials and fans traveling to Qatar. Should we just keep our heads in the sand as far as discussing safety?

Edited by Binky

If Canada fails to make it into the CONCACAF top 6 by June of 2020, and we have to start the Road to Qatar via the non-hexagonal route, will there being a seeding system place for the group phase matches to be played from September 2020 to October 2020? If so, then Canada has to be one of the seeded countries if the seeding has to be based on the June 2020 FIFA/Coca-Cola ranking, right? Because there's no possible way that we could drop out of the top 14 CONCACAF countries by then, right?

5 minutes ago, Binky said:

If Canada fails to make it into the CONCACAF top 6 by June of 2020, and we have to start the Road to Qatar via the non-hexagonal route, will there being a seeding system place for the group phase matches to be played from September 2020 to October 2020? If so, then Canada has to be one of the seeded countries if the seeding has to be based on the June 2020 FIFA/Coca-Cola ranking, right? Because there's no possible way that we could drop out of the top 14 CONCACAF countries by then, right?

I would have to assume so. But some of my previous assumptions about World Cup Qualifying have already been shattered by the format this cycle.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I would have to assume so. But some of my previous assumptions about World Cup Qualifying have already been shattered by the format this cycle.

So if we assume (usually a foolish thing to do) that the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings will also be applied for seeding in the group phase for the non-hexagonal route, then if we used the current FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings just as an example, the 8 groups would have the following seeded countries:

Group 1 - Panama

Group 2 - Canada

Group 3 - Curacao

Group 4 - TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

Group 5 - Haiti

Group 6 - Antigua and Barbuda

Group 7 - Nicaragua

Group 8 - St. Kitts and Nevis

So if that turns out to be the case, then we are going to get stuck playing either 4 or 6 matches against countries ranked no higher than 145th in the world? That is going to make Herdman appear like a GOD to many on this board and at the CSA in Ottawa.

The good news is, if your a Mexican, an American or a Costa Rican soccer fan you'll be spared having to watch so many mouth-watering encounters. Who knows, Canada might not even get to play against one real good country this World Cup cycle. Thanks a lot Mt. Vic. for screwing Canadian soccer once again. This is bound to raise the profile of soccer in Canada, for sure, eh? Broadcaster will be lining up around the block for a chance to televise these matches.

Edited by Binky

In the example above, I wonder how they would determine the 4 quarter-final matchups once the group stage was finished.

Would the seeding create the QF matchups in a 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5 format?

Would they put the top 4 seeded group winners in a pot, the bottom 4 in another, and draw the matchups that way?

I would hope it wouldn't be an open draw as there's a big difference between getting Panama as your next opponent and getting Saint Kitts and Nevis. You'd think CONCACAF would want to guard against a scenario where totally unbalanced quarter-finals could occur from an open draw (1 could end up playing 2, while 7 could end up playing 8), but you never know what CONCACAF thinks is logical.

2 hours ago, jtpc said:

In the example above, I wonder how they would determine the 4 quarter-final matchups once the group stage was finished.

Would the seeding create the QF matchups in a 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5 format?

Would they put the top 4 seeded group winners in a pot, the bottom 4 in another, and draw the matchups that way?

I would hope it wouldn't be an open draw as there's a big difference between getting Panama as your next opponent and getting Saint Kitts and Nevis. You'd think CONCACAF would want to guard against a scenario where totally unbalanced quarter-finals could occur from an open draw (1 could end up playing 2, while 7 could end up playing 8), but you never know what CONCACAF thinks is logical.

Even after last week's grand announcement: "Concacaf Announces Format for the 2022 FIFA World Cup Confederation Qualifiers," I am dumbfounded by how many unanswered questions remain regarding the CONCACAF 2022 FIFA World Cup Confederation Qualifiers. Is Victor Montagliani making the format up as he goes along? Where is the transparency and full-disclosure Victor Montagliani spoke of when grabbing the stage and telling the world that Canada could not support someone like Sepp Blatter? Is Victor Montagliani capable of drafting up a format in a timely fashion that leaves no stone unturned? Thus far, there has been no evidence of that! Is Victor Montagliani competent enough the look after the affairs of a soccer confederation like CONCACAF? Is Victor Montagliani demonstrating that he has the business acumen that will be required when CONCACAF hosts the next World Cup in 2026? 

https://www.concacaf.com/world-cup-qualifying-men/article/concacaf-announces-format-for-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-confederation-qualifiers

12 hours ago, Binky said:

Even after last week's grand announcement: "Concacaf Announces Format for the 2022 FIFA World Cup Confederation Qualifiers," I am dumbfounded by how many unanswered questions remain regarding the CONCACAF 2022 FIFA World Cup Confederation Qualifiers. Is Victor Montagliani making the format up as he goes along? Where is the transparency and full-disclosure Victor Montagliani spoke of when grabbing the stage and telling the world that Canada could not support someone like Sepp Blatter? Is Victor Montagliani capable of drafting up a format in a timely fashion that leaves no stone unturned? Thus far, there has been no evidence of that! Is Victor Montagliani competent enough the look after the affairs of a soccer confederation like CONCACAF? Is Victor Montagliani demonstrating that he has the business acumen that will be required when CONCACAF hosts the next World Cup in 2026? 

https://www.concacaf.com/world-cup-qualifying-men/article/concacaf-announces-format-for-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-confederation-qualifiers

We get it, you’re not a fan of Vic. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

We get it, you’re not a fan of Vic. 

The fact is that soccer always has been one of the greatest loves of my life, which has brought me so much joy for more than a half century. It is not easy being as passionate about soccer as I am and living in Canada. Thank God I was born in the Netherlands, where soccer infused that love and passion, and has always made me feel happy and very proud. Another great love of mine is Canada, which has been my home since 1969. I have always yearned for that same happiness and pride to come from Canadian soccer, however, with the exception of qualifying for the 1986 World Cup and capturing the Gold Cup in 2000 there has not been much happiness or achievements to be proud of. Out of the 50 years I have lived here, there have been viewer than 50 international friendlies by the CMNT, and even less for the CWNT. Counting this year, there have only been 7 seasons out of 50 years that there was a domestic league. And will we ever be able to forget the humiliating San Pedro Sula defeat that happened in 2012?

So please forgive me, now that we finally have a Canadian governing soccer in the CONCACAF region we live in, who feels so inclined to make drastic changes which really let Canada have it up the rear end at a time when we finally have a golden crop of young talent, that I get extremely irate at this fat imbecile. Sadly, Canadian soccer has never had a visionary at the helm who is capable of taking our game to the next level, and until that happens we will continue to compete internationally primarily against Caribbean minnows. Just look at who has recently presided and managed over the game in this country: The Pipe, Mt. Pete and Mt. Vic!!! It has gone from: awful, to worst than awful, to how awful can it possibly get?

All I want right now is to start getting excited and enthusiastic about the Road to Qatar for Canada, before my heart gets broken once again. Under the old CONCACAF qualifying format, I would get excited, enthusiastic and even hopeful at the commencement of every new World Cup cycle. With Mt. Vic's "long awaited, incompletely revealed, having to pay attention to the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings for another year, new format which has the likely potential of having to play 12 matches against unattractive opponents before we are eligible to play some real matches if we make it that far...?" No, I'm just not getting those excited, enthusiastic and hopeful feelings this time around. I'm really trying, but Mt. Vic is killing those feelings, and it hurts, BIG TIME! 

Edited by Binky

I still think this qualifying format is a joke that was leaked and concacaf is in on the joke, there is no way in hell any format could possibly be this stupid. It doesn't even make sense having 2 separate and completely different paths for one confederation. In no sport in history have I ever seen that.

If this format stands, Canada won't play a world cup qualifier for almost 12 years!! This world cup is already over,  and we will probably get a free pass to 2026. It's really unfortunate, world cup qualifying games are ones I look forward to most and it's been taken away from us

18 hours ago, jtpc said:

If it's not Mexico or the USA, CONCACAF don't care.

1 hour ago, Binky said:

All I want right now is to start getting excited and enthusiastic about the Road to Qatar for Canada, before my heart gets broken once again. Under the old CONCACAF qualifying format, I would get excited, enthusiastic and even hopeful at the commencement of every new World Cup cycle. With Mt. Vic's "long awaited, incompletely revealed, having to pay attention to the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings for another year, new format which has the likely potential of having to play 12 matches against unattractive opponents before we are eligible to play some real matches if we make it that far...?" No, I'm just not getting those excited, enthusiastic and hopeful feelings this time around. I'm really trying, but Mt. Vic is killing those feelings, and it hurts, BIG TIME! 

Exactly how I feel.  The unfair format kills the hope and excitement.  Mt. Vic is doing what most modern politicians do in selling out their own (in this case all the players and fans of the teams not US/Mex/CR) to pander to the richest (US / Mex and the corrupt minnow officials).

We can only hope the other associations in similar situation to Canada are putting up far more of a fight against this sham.  I wonder if anyone in a position of influence has a problem, or have they all drank the Koolaid?

Does anyone think that this format got passed and (I assume) accepted by all 35 countries due to the fact that the 7-35 nations don’t have to face anyone in the top 6? What I’m asking is, was the temptation of not playing a top 6 team so great everyone overlooked the fact that you get a 0.5 in 29 shot rather than a 3.5 in 6 shot? 

42 minutes ago, Alex said:

Does anyone think that this format got passed and (I assume) accepted by all 35 countries due to the fact that the 7-35 nations don’t have to face anyone in the top 6? What I’m asking is, was the temptation of not playing a top 6 team so great everyone overlooked the fact that you get a 0.5 in 29 shot rather than a 3.5 in 6 shot? 

There's no way everyone is that dumb ... right?  My sense is that teams who are in the 15-35 don't mind it since they don't have to play the top 6 (a plus), and they were never going to qualify anyway, so no big loss.  On average, more of the games they play will be "competitive" (i.e. not vs. top 6) and their chance of qualifying went from 0.001 to 0.0001, or whatever.  That's 21 teams right there!

The top teams: Mex, U.S., CR, Honduras will obviously love this format since it eliminates all chances of an upset before the HEX.  That's 4 more teams in favor ...

Leaving 10 teams or so who might realize that this could be really bad for them ... at the moment, ES doesn't care, they're all for it!  As is Jamaica ... it really just screws 8 teams, including Canada, Panama, T&T, Haiti, etc. who would otherwise have had a realistic shot at the HEX.  When you think about it, it is a brilliant piece of f**king some teams over while gaining the support of a majority!

What really gets me is the fact that Russia 2018 ended over a year ago. No problem.

In the past there has always been a one-year period of inactivity between the completion of a World Cup Final and the commencement of the first rounds of qualifying for the next World Cup. Like I said, no problem.

However, here we are, one year after Russia 2018 ended, and now we, all of the fans here in CONCACAF, are are stuck twiddling our thumbs for more than another year waiting for Mt. Vic's World Cup qualifying format to get started.

Now I find all of this extremely rich coming from Mt. Vic, especially after he stated repeatedly the following reason for changing the old format:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2016/10/13/concacaf-says-its-world-cup-qualifying-is-archiaic-its-solution-is-pure-politics/?utm_term=.5f2dbd0851b8

“Can you imagine you are a country trying to find a sponsor and they say, ‘I’m all for it, when’s your next big game?’ And it’s three years from now,” Montagliani said.

Can you say "Hyp·o·crite?"

1 hour ago, Binky said:

What really gets me is the fact that Russia 2018 ended over a year ago. No problem.

In the past there has always been a one-year period of inactivity between the completion of a World Cup Final and the commencement of the first rounds of qualifying for the next World Cup. Like I said, no problem.

However, here we are, one year after Russia 2018 ended, and now we, all of the fans here in CONCACAF, are are stuck twiddling our thumbs for more than another year waiting for Mt. Vic's World Cup qualifying format to get started.

Now I find all of this extremely rich coming from Mt. Vic, especially after he stated repeatedly the following reason for changing the old format:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2016/10/13/concacaf-says-its-world-cup-qualifying-is-archiaic-its-solution-is-pure-politics/?utm_term=.5f2dbd0851b8

“Can you imagine you are a country trying to find a sponsor and they say, ‘I’m all for it, when’s your next big game?’ And it’s three years from now,” Montagliani said.

And the idea of it providing more competitive games. The reality might not feel like it when a minnow goes up against Panama and Guatemala in the first window and lose both games. With only the group winners moving on, teams losing their first two games will know that they are essentially already eliminated.

2 hours ago, Binky said:

I mean they added the Nations League so its not like they don’t have any competitive games

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I mean they added the Nations League so its not like they don’t have any competitive games

True, but aside from the results of Nations League matches being factored into the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings they really don't represent much else. Out of the three CONCACAF competitions, the only ones that are really relevant are; first and foremost World Cup qualifying. Nothing trumps that! And next the Gold Cup, which is emblematic of the confederation championship. Nations League matches represent nothing! They are boring and unimportant. All they do is segregated and cater to making money for the elite.

If you have a small rock in the Caribbean Sea, with a few thousand people on it, they will always be eliminated in the first round of any competition, no matter what format you use. It's like if you're 4' 8" you will never play in the NBA, or like me, at 260 lbs., I know that I will never ride on a horse in the Kentucky Derby. These Caribbean midgets are welcome to play into any competition they wish, and are welcome to suffer as many losses at they want to incur, but they will never, I repeat never beat any other CONCACAF country over two matches or more. NEVER! Montserrat will NEVER, NEVER, EVER beat Canada in a home and home series no matter how bad a team we field. NEVER. So Victor giving countries like Montserrat 4 or 6 World Cup qualifiers instead of the regular 2 represents nothing more than him pandering for votes to keep his job. It does absolutely nothing for the good of soccer.

Mt. Vic's type definitely knows nothing about true patriot love. For him, it's all about Mt. Vic.

Edited by Binky

11 hours ago, Addona said:

There's no way everyone is that dumb ... right?  My sense is that teams who are in the 15-35 don't mind it since they don't have to play the top 6 (a plus), and they were never going to qualify anyway, so no big loss.  On average, more of the games they play will be "competitive" (i.e. not vs. top 6) and their chance of qualifying went from 0.001 to 0.0001, or whatever.  That's 21 teams right there!

The top teams: Mex, U.S., CR, Honduras will obviously love this format since it eliminates all chances of an upset before the HEX.  That's 4 more teams in favor ...

Leaving 10 teams or so who might realize that this could be really bad for them ... at the moment, ES doesn't care, they're all for it!  As is Jamaica ... it really just screws 8 teams, including Canada, Panama, T&T, Haiti, etc. who would otherwise have had a realistic shot at the HEX.  When you think about it, it is a brilliant piece of f**king some teams over while gaining the support of a majority!

This!

18 hours ago, Lofty said:

So those teams thought they had a chance?!!

Like San Marino or Faroe Islands in UEFA, where exactly the same thing happens, those small teams are just there for the matches: they know they are essentially already eliminated before a ball is even kicked.

No, the teams don't think they had a chance. But, for example, in 2018 qualifying the first round had 14 teams playing a home and away series. Nobody in there thinks they have a chance at making the World Cup, but they probably do feel like they have a chance at advancing past that round, which would be an accomplishment in itself.

I'm just trying to point out that the benefit to these teams is perhaps more minimal than it appears at first glance.

• Admin locked this topic