The Road to Qatar.

Binky

Found another good read on the Montserrat team.  

https://firsttimefinish.co.uk/2021/02/08/rising-nations-montserrat-gold-cup-ambitions/

From the article on potential future additions:

There is also an impressive pool of eligible players, the standouts being the Willock brothers of Chris, Joe and Matty. Added to this list is West Brom right back Darnell Furlong, ex-Manchester United trainee DJ Buffonge (now at NAC Breda) and Crewe defender Donervon Daniels.

5 hours ago, red card said:

Only things that have completely disappeared off Cdn tv is the EPL & Euro Champions League. But you can still catch an EPL match on most Saturday afternoons on NBC. 

Less on Cdn tv has been Cdn national team matches and WC qualifiers. 

Adds have been Bundesliga on Sportsnet, WSL on Sportsnet, and some CPL matches on CBC/CHCH. If you have Roku or certain smart tvs, BEIN Extra gives you free access to certain la ligue, Super Lig, la liga, Sudamericano and various AFC competitions from Champions League to u20 to Nations Cup to AFCON qualifiers. All NWSL matches will now be on CBS and free on Twitch. uefa.tv has any Euro competitions for free without any rights holder in Canada.

Remaining the same are FA Cup on Sportsnet, TLN with 6 Serie A matches every weekend and la liga/ligue 1/Euro women's Champions League/Libertadores on BEIN. TV5 still has 1 ligue 1 match.

Men's and women's World Cup, Euros and MLS are still on TSN/RDS/TVA. Olympic soccer remains on CBC/TSN/Sportsnet. Euro qualifiers were on TSN but for some reason have passed on Euro WC qualifiers so far.

So, net net, the icing has disappeared but there is more than enough different types of cakes to sample than ever before. Pay for one streaming service, you get the icing back. Pay for two, you get your choice of icing. Trawl the internet for streams, you'll be eating cake for breakfast, lunch, tea & dinner.

My comment was a reply to a comment regarding TSN and Sportnet specifically.  Both showed soccer throughout both Saturday and Sunday, this isn't the case anymore.

Nowadays, one has to actively go look for it on several different platforms.  "We" do that, and i have no problem with that, however the casual fan won't bother, that is a loss for the average Canadian and won't help grow the sport in Canada.

I would categorize a 3-0 Suriname victory over Cayman as "taking care of business." 2-0 would be a disappointment. 4 or 5 would be good to great. 

Cayman, with an all-domestic roster, seems like the weakest team in the group on paper. Aruba has a couple of Eredivisie vets and a few in way lower divisions in Holland and Germany.  I'm surprised they are the 5 seed. Maybe their domestics are worse than others. 

10 minutes ago, One American said:

Cayman, with an all-domestic roster, seems like the weakest team in the group on paper.

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, One American said:

Aruba...I'm surprised they are the 5 seed.

It comes down to matches played in CONCACAF Nations League in the last few years. The Caymans have done well but remain the weakest Pot 4 team and that by far. Aruba dropped into Pot 5 but Aruba at their best are likely better than the Caymans at their best.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, costarg said:

My comment was a reply to a comment regarding TSN and Sportnet specifically.  Both showed soccer throughout both Saturday and Sunday, this isn't the case anymore.

Nowadays, one has to actively go look for it on several different platforms.  "We" do that, and i have no problem with that, however the casual fan won't bother, that is a loss for the average Canadian and won't help grow the sport in Canada.

If you're solely into EPL, then I get your viewpoint. But in terms of quantity, it hasn't dropped off. Sportsnet still shows soccer Saturday & Sunday with Bundesliga, WSL & FA Cup. TSN hasn't replaced its EPL coverage with any other Euro leagues but shows more MLS (and now even some matches are on CTV).

Davies at Bayern should attract any interested casuals. Though, based on ratings, the biggest attraction for casuals are the World Cup/Euros & Olympics (if in running for a medal). All are still on tv. 

Women's football coverage is the most regular it has ever been on tv with WSL on Sportsnet.

DAZN also has NFL, so you are getting soccer exposed to second largest base of sports fans in Canada.

And this isn't the 90s anymore. Tv doesn't have a monopoly anymore. Gen Z media consumption of sports is mostly online via highlights. Fantasy sports & betting drives interest of older casuals.

Edited by red card

24 minutes ago, One American said:

I would categorize a 3-0 Suriname victory over Cayman as "taking care of business." 2-0 would be a disappointment. 4 or 5 would be good to great. 

Their fans appeared to be jeering them when it was still 2-0 in the second half as they seemed to let off a bit. They scored their 3rd shortly after.

• Admin locked this topic