The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

So TSN has the rights to Qatar 2022 are they showing any of the World Cup qualifiers like the UEFA World Cup qualifiers for example? If not is anyone showing these qualifiers here in Canada ?

I checked their schedule and it doesn't look like it.

The only way to legally watch WCQ in Canada appears to be:

-One Soccer (Canada matches)

-TLN (Italy and Portugal matches)

-Uefa.TV app (a handful of Euro qualifiers).

I couldn't find anything on Sportsnet or DAZN schedules either.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I checked their schedule and it doesn't look like it.

The only way to legally watch WCQ in Canada appears to be:

-One Soccer (Canada matches)

-TLN (Italy and Portugal matches)

-Uefa.TV app (a handful of Euro qualifiers).

I couldn't find anything on Sportsnet or DAZN schedules either.

I remember when a lot of World Cup qualifying games for the last World Cup could be seen on either TSN and Sportsnet, it looks like soccer coverage is going backwards rather than forward on our two main sports stations unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I remember when a lot of World Cup qualifying games for the last World Cup could be seen on either TSN and Sportsnet, it looks like soccer coverage is going backwards rather than forward on our two main sports stations unfortunately. 

Definitely going backwards, no doubt about that one.  Not long ago one could at least routinely see soccer being played on weekend afternoons, now it's hard to even know it exists.  Hardly any games or mentions on the highlight shows.

I don't know if they're doubling down on more hockey or if the viewer ratings show less interest in soccer.  Perhaps they focus on hockey and just add other sports which are more convenient as "fillers" and less expensive to broadcast? 

Either way, I feel their vision does not have much space or plan for soccer.

Edited by costarg

I’m guessing they were getting the rights to soccer matches at ridiculously cheap prices because there was really no competition. Now that they have to bud against streaming services, they are not willing to pay up to keep the rights. Kind of ridiculous that they can’t beat out a start up like One Soccer for the rights, but it shows their lack of interest in acquiring rights to Canadian soccer.

25 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I’m guessing they were getting the rights to soccer matches at ridiculously cheap prices because there was really no competition. Now that they have to bud against streaming services, they are not willing to pay up to keep the rights. Kind of ridiculous that they can’t beat out a start up like One Soccer for the rights, but it shows their lack of interest in acquiring rights to Canadian soccer.

I've criticised TSN plenty in the past but there is far more nuance to it than that.  Listen from the 5:00 mark in this podcast and the frosty relations between TSN and mediapro will make sense.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mb290YmFsbHRvZGF5LmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz/episode/MDU4YWNiMGMtOTljOC00M2I4LWE5NDEtOThiNzFjODk2NmI2?ep=14

12 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I've criticised TSN plenty in the past but there is far more nuance to it than that.  Listen from the 5:00 mark in this podcast and the frosty relations between TSN and mediapro will make sense.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mb290YmFsbHRvZGF5LmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz/episode/MDU4YWNiMGMtOTljOC00M2I4LWE5NDEtOThiNzFjODk2NmI2?ep=14

That talks about MediaPro’s strategy in France, with a public that would demand access to Ligue 1 content.  Sure it seems aggressive but I am not sure how that equates to Canada and the TSN’s almost absolute ignoring of CPL.  Unless there is clear evidence that MediaPro is trying to grossly overcharge our established national sports networks for CanCon (and the fact that CBC managed to get access to some games suggests the pricing was likely accessible), I am not convinced.  I would put far more emphasis on the fact that TSN is currently all-in with MLS which they would see as a competing product.  

29 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

If their strategy was to make TSN overpay for the rights because Canadians would demand they show the games, Mediapro was pretty uninformed about that decision.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That talks about MediaPro’s strategy in France, with a public that would demand access to Ligue 1 content.  Sure it seems aggressive but I am not sure how that equates to Canada and the TSN’s almost absolute ignoring of CPL.  Unless there is clear evidence that MediaPro is trying to grossly overcharge our established national sports networks for CanCon (and the fact that CBC managed to get access to some games suggests the pricing was likely accessible), I am not convinced.  I would put far more emphasis on the fact that TSN is currently all-in with MLS which they would see as a competing product.  

I get all that but these mainstream sports channels  TSN and Sportsnet have more or less stopped showing a lot of soccer , EPL, UEFA Champions League, European World Cup Qualifying yes they are still showing MLS but it’s only a matter of time when they stop showing that too. Therefore, soccer is no longer of interest to them it seems, good luck with these two stations showing CPL anytime soon . Eventually the World Cup and European Cup will be gone too. Out of sight out of mind .

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It's mentioned they've employed the same business tactics in all jurisdictions.  France is the one jurisdiction where it didn't work and their bluff was called.

I'm sure mediapro had no shortage of ignorance to the dynamics of the Canadian market.  TSN's burying of CPL makes complete sense in the context of negotiation.  Nothing is free, including exposure.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Definitely going backwards, no doubt about that one.  Not long ago one could at least routinely see soccer being played on weekend afternoons, now it's hard to even know it exists.  Hardly any games or mentions on the highlight shows.

I don't know if they're doubling down on more hockey or if the viewer ratings show less interest in soccer.  Perhaps they focus on hockey and just add other sports which are more convenient as "fillers" and less expensive to broadcast? 

Either way, I feel their vision does not have much space or plan for soccer.

Only things that have completely disappeared off Cdn tv is the EPL & Euro Champions League. But you can still catch an EPL match on most Saturday afternoons on NBC. 

Less on Cdn tv has been Cdn national team matches and WC qualifiers. 

Adds have been Bundesliga on Sportsnet, WSL on Sportsnet, and some CPL matches on CBC/CHCH. If you have Roku or certain smart tvs, BEIN Extra gives you free access to certain la ligue, Super Lig, la liga, Sudamericano and various AFC competitions from Champions League to u20 to Nations Cup to AFCON qualifiers. All NWSL matches will now be on CBS and free on Twitch. uefa.tv has any Euro competitions for free without any rights holder in Canada.

Remaining the same are FA Cup on Sportsnet, TLN with 6 Serie A matches every weekend and la liga/ligue 1/Euro women's Champions League/Libertadores on BEIN. TV5 still has 1 ligue 1 match.

Men's and women's World Cup, Euros and MLS are still on TSN/RDS/TVA. Olympic soccer remains on CBC/TSN/Sportsnet. Euro qualifiers were on TSN but for some reason have passed on Euro WC qualifiers so far.

So, net net, the icing has disappeared but there is more than enough different types of cakes to sample than ever before. Pay for one streaming service, you get the icing back. Pay for two, you get your choice of icing. Trawl the internet for streams, you'll be eating cake for breakfast, lunch, tea & dinner.

Edited by red card

38 minutes ago, narduch said:

More covid issues.

I don’t see what other choice they have other than a forfeit? It really sucks and god forbid that something like this happens to a team with would actually be in a position to qualify like Canada 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t see what other choice they have other than a forfeit? It really sucks and god forbid that something like this happens to a team with would actually be in a position to qualify like Canada 

They are also supposed to play Bermuda 3 days after their Suriname match.

I guess there is always a remote chance of a reschedule 

Suriname starting line up

Cayman line up according to Fifa:

David Lee (GK)

Joshewa FREDERICK-CHARLERY

Ackeem Hyde

Wesley ROBINSON

D'Andre Rowe

Mason Duval

Cameron Gray

Jermaine Wilson

Tyler Lee