The Road to Qatar.

Binky

40 minutes ago, narduch said:

Rumblings on the internet that Saint Lucia have backed out of WCQ completely. They were set to face Nicaragua and Haiti this round.

image.png.85917e2b3279cc4d2be09cb0dbed0f96.png

https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2021/03/17/deportes/2798045-santa-lucia-el-primer-rival-de-la-azul-y-blanco-se-retira-de-las-eliminatorias-de-catar-2022

Wow.

In other news in that group Belize just arrived in Haiti, and Nicaragua does plan on travelling to the DR to face the Turks and Caicos so the rest of the group is managing.

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2021/03/17/deportes/2798045-santa-lucia-el-primer-rival-de-la-azul-y-blanco-se-retira-de-las-eliminatorias-de-catar-2022

Wow.

In other news in that group Belize just arrived in Haiti, and Nicaragua does plan on travelling to the DR to face the Turks and Caicos so the rest of the group is managing.

I believe they never even finalized their home match.

Part of this has to lie on FIFA and to a lesser extent Concacaf. 

I can only imagine the logistical nightmare trying to travel from Saint Lucia to Nicaragua during covid. Probably much worse than what Caymans needed to do to get to Suriname. 

41 minutes ago, narduch said:

Saint Lucia has been scrubbed off of the FIFA website. No matches listed and their group only shows 4 teams now.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/#282655

The fact that Bermuda has gone totally silent since their covid news has me worried they may follow suit.

Other nations are probably thinking the same thing about Canada right now too though!  We get all our information from outsiders and other associations.

I kid, but seriously it is frustrating.

Just now, narduch said:

FIFA should have moved the game.

Harder to do at the last minute now with COVID protocols and bubbles and the fact that you need permission from the hosting association.

--

The thing to understand is whoever stopped the bus was looking to put pressure on the Haitian government and make them look bad. It's a politics thing. The armed group knows that attacking, killing or robbing (what would they steal?) the Belize team bus would serve no purpose, and simply create a backlash against them. It's terrorism in the purest sense; not an act to kill, but just to create a climate of fear and instability. Despite how poor and politically unstable Haiti is, it's actually less violent than El Salvador and Honduras.

----

With the football riot that killed two, and with this latest incident, their next match (or two!) might be moved by CONCACAF. The DR and the USA are the most likely candidates.

4 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

This game will be in Suriname, right? Do we know whether they'll be able to bring their passport players?

They announced their roster with them included.

I did see a weird tweet where their EU players wouldn't be allowed to travel to Florida to face Aruba. But that doesn't make sense to me because Canada called its EU based players. 

Edit. This is the tweet I'm talking about. If you run it through Google translate it makes it sound like their EU based players aren't allowed to travel to Florida 

Edited by narduch

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

I did see a weird tweet where their EU players wouldn't be allowed to travel to Florida to face Aruba. But that doesn't make sense to me because Canada called its EU based players. 

Edit. This is the tweet I'm talking about. If you run it through Google translate it makes it sound like their EU based players aren't allowed to travel to Florida 

Strange - after doing some research if appears to be true. The change was put in place a few weeks ago. 
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f4ab0043-7fb7-4fbe-a640-26d6bf7b7afc

but yah not sure how our players would be allowed then 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I’m surprised they can play in South America at all considering how CONMEBOL was cancelled because of the strict travel ban there. 

They should have moved their match too but I think they wanted to make it a hassle for Caymans. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Could a Suriname domestic squad drop points to Aruba?

After Ronaldo/Messi, this is the most heated debate in sports

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

• Admin locked this topic