The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

@admin might want to weigh in on whether or not he'd like to ban this serial pest for the 4th time now, or wait until the inevitable next meltdown.

His posts are perfectly rational in this case, I think he's right. 

This business of calling for a ban on someone who bothered you in the past, I see it as bullying. And under forum rules would justify a warning and a ban. Because the way warnings and bans are handled here, terribly in my opinion, you would deserve it if you keep this up.

Reply to the post and the arguments, and stop with this conspiratorial stuff about what someone did that bothered you 8 months ago. And take a laxative, you are being very uptight.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This business of calling for a ban on someone who bothered you in the past, I see it as bullying. And under forum rules would justify a warning and a ban. Because the way warnings and bans are handled here, terribly in my opinion, you would deserve it if you keep this up.

Reply to the post and the arguments, and stop with this conspiratorial stuff about what someone did that bothered you 8 months ago. And take a laxative, you are being very uptight.

I disagree, the last ban was for a meltdown that was completely unwarranted and highly offensive. Combined with multiple previous warnings and even more instances in which his insulting behaviour was simply tolerated there’s no value in allowing him to keep posting here.

Robert/binky/ovi/bedbugs and I’m sure there’s more alter egos, seems like a very passionate and knowledgeable Canadian fan that clearly hates the csa and how they do things, and that’s fine. Be pissed off just don’t tell us every damn post you make. Add to a conversation, fine, tell us about all the games you went to and why you are pissed this *might* be a closed door friendly on March 30th (I actually enjoyed that post) but reel yourself in a bit. 

Its the same as when UT got banned.  Is there a time frame? Is it permanent?  There must be some set of clear rules and sentences.  If someone can just create a new avatar and come right back bans are toothless.  If his ban is up and he can come back, then why make a new persona??  He is changing his name to circumvent the rules.  And the fact that he continually breaks the rules even after being banned multiple times is perfectly acceptable to bring up.  

Did anyone watch LA last night in Champions League? They lost 2-0 but Jakovic was, for the most part, solid in his performance away to Liga MX side Leon. 

We know CB is not our strongest spot, so does Dejan deserve to be in the conversation, or do you need to see more to be convinced?

It was said pre-match that he's had a good pre-season and he was trusted in the 2019 MLS Cup playoffs...

I have noticed that Vitoria has been left on the bench recently for Moreirense. Should Jakovic be rotated in? Perhaps to give Vitoria the chance to win back his club spot? Or, do we bring him in and free up Cornelius to play in the Olympic qualifiers?

Too early to have this talk? 

(Beats talking about Robert being banned though...)

Edited by Obinna

25 minutes ago, Lofty said:

He did not get banned for his views on the CSA, or anything else for that matter. He got banned for completely random and unprovoked harassment of one of the very few female posters here. I seriously wondered whether he had lost his marbles. A mod stated the ban was permanent. If it has now been lifted then why does he need a new login name? And if it hasn't been lifted then why is it not being enforced?

I'm certainly not in favour of banning people lightly or because of their views but in this case I thought the permanent ban was appropriate.

All the banning talk and everything doesn’t matter to me, I don’t think anyone needs to be banned unless they discriminate, threaten or borderline do something criminal. I was hoping to give him some advice that’s it. 

We should call in jakovic. I didn’t see him play last night but it sounds like he was solid. To be honest I’m not a fan of Henry at all. Call in Vitoria, Cornelius and jakovic, but that’s just me.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This business of calling for a ban on someone who bothered you in the past, I see it as bullying.

Wrong in so many ways.

Just because he makes a rational statement does not overturn his ban. A ban is a ban is a ban. Signing up for the forum again is simply not allowed and he must be removed.

Calling for the enforcement of the rules meets no test for "bullying". 

And for the record, he was not banned for just bothering someone. He was banned for harrassing and disruptive behaviour. 

42 minutes ago, Lofty said:

He did not get banned for his views on the CSA, or anything else for that matter. He got banned for completely random and unprovoked harassment of one of the very few female posters here. I seriously wondered whether he had lost his marbles. A mod stated the ban was permanent. If it has now been lifted then why does he need a new login name? And if it hasn't been lifted then why is it not being enforced?

I'm certainly not in favour of banning people lightly or because of their views but in this case I thought the permanent ban was appropriate.

This particular outburst came shortly after he posted a ton of Nazi imagery following Holland's loss to Germany in Euro qualifiers.

Henry kinda scares me in big games, but he does a lot of very good things otherwise. I really wish he could cut out those bone-head plays, he could be a top level CB if not for that.

Probably he gets called into the T&T games though. He was trusted to start for his Korean club in AFC Champions League. Seemingly that's a good level. If we are talking Jakovic getting called after going 90 minutes in CONCACF Champions League, perhaps Doneil Henry should also get mentioned here.

How would you guys feel if we called Jakovic, Henry, Didic and Waterman as our 4 CBs? 

I am not necessarily advocating for those 4, but just curious to know what others think. Personally I think Vitoria should be in the mix, but it would reward Didic and give Waterman a chance, plus Portugal is a world away from Victoria. Not as far as Germany, I know, but Davies is an essential player.

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I disagree, the last ban was for a meltdown that was completely unwarranted and highly offensive. Combined with multiple previous warnings and even more instances in which his insulting behaviour was simply tolerated there’s no value in allowing him to keep posting here.

I find the pack animal behaviour as bad as a meltdown. 

Just because someone bothered you in the past, does not mean every single post in the present has to be mocked in this manner. It is irrational, and basically cowardly. Because it is done in this mindless pack animal manner.

In any case if you know so much about his past, you must have a thing for him. I simply block those that bother me, I have done this for months and even years, and only occasionally will take a peak at those that I think are not worth following. I often make a deliberate point of not responding to their posts.

What you are saying that you think he's puking on the forum, but you are still going to eat that puke. So I'd say the problem is yours, not his. You are the ones eating it up and encouraging it by obsessing over it.

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Henry kinda scares me in big games, but he does a lot of very good things otherwise. I really wish he could cut out those bone-head plays, he could be a top level CB if not for that.

Probably he gets called into the T&T games though. He was trusted to start for his Korean club in AFC Champions League. Seemingly that's a good level. If we are talking Jakovic getting called after going 90 minutes in CONCACF Champions League, perhaps Doneil Henry should also get mentioned here.

How would you guys feel if we called Jakovic, Henry, Didic and Waterman as our 4 CBs? 

I am not necessarily advocating for those 4, but just curious to know what others think. Personally I think Vitoria should be in the mix, but it would reward Didic and give Waterman a chance, plus Portugal is a world away from Victoria. Not as far as Germany, I know, but Davies is an essential player.

Back on topic: I was watching the Whitecaps highlights, and it looked like Cornelius took a really dumb unnecessary penalty, and that made me worry. We rarely get to see a clean 90 minute performance by a Canadian back against tough opposition. 

I agree with what was posted earlier about Vitoria, he is stuck on the bench now. Too bad, because in principle getting minutes in Portugal top flight is a great calling card.

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I find the pack animal behaviour as bad as a meltdown. 

Just because someone bothered you in the past, does not mean every single post in the present has to be mocked in this manner. It is irrational, and basically cowardly. Because it is done in this mindless pack animal manner.

In any case if you know so much about his past, you must have a thing for him. I simply block those that bother me, I have done this for months and even years, and only occasionally will take a peak at those that I think are not worth following. I often make a deliberate point of not responding to their posts.

What you are saying that you think he's puking on the forum, but you are still going to eat that puke. So I'd say the problem is yours, not his. You are the ones eating it up and encouraging it by obsessing over it.

Simply because multiple people share a common belief does not make it pack mentality.

What a ridiculous analogy. It's not the responsibility of those of us who abide by the rules to proactively seek out the new profiles of those who've been banned, monitor and block them. This is about wanting healthy and productive space where we can discuss a common interest, it isn't a place where free speech reigns above all else and those who are continually offensive, cruel and disrespectful are allowed to continue to turn people away. 

I don't like Ozzie, I disagree with 90% of what he says. I don't care to ban him because he's allowed his opinion not matter how much I disagree with it. Robert has crossed the line of decency and respect so many times he's created at least 3 new accounts. There's a big difference. Excuse me and others for wanting this forum to be better.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Its a tough call.  All of Jakovic, Vitoria, Henry, Cornelius can put in a fair to good performance from time to time.  But they're all equally capable of some major brain farts.  I dont' know Waterman or Didic enough to comment, but since they're in CPL at 24 and 25, I assume they also have some weak points in their game and styles.  Generally speaking, most CB's develop later than most other positions so I really hope either of them can take a major step forward soon.  Besides that, i feel Kamal Miller is our greatest hope at the moment.  

Broken record time, I'll say it again, our best bet is 3 at the back, with some balance.  One experienced leader and slower guy (Vitoria), one physical beast, but who can be a liability (Henry), and one young, potential future leader (Miller).

We need to move on from Jakovic. Can't just fall in love with 1 performance. Especially when he played a big part on Leon's second goal.

Out of the capped players, the regulars like Henry, Cornelius, Vitoria, Maybe James and Miller are sadly still the best options we may have currently.

Didic against higher quality attackers scare me. He still has speed and agility issues. The fact he hasn't even been signed by Vancouver, while they signed a different CB recently, shows the doubt.

Waterman we will have to see. He was fine in CPL, has good vision from the back, need to see if he's able to do it in higher quality league.

This season, it's all about the kids. Hope and pray they turn out well. Yao, Halbouni, Norman Jr might be used as a CB, etc. To me, the second Canada has the chance to actually experiment with their squad, instead of calling up Nelson and the Okello's, call up these CB's and give them a chance to prove something. Make their club's managers do a double take and consider playing them more. Give them exposure.

The current or old CB's that we regularly call up, we know they're not strong enough, so experiment a little more in that position. Why settle? Look what happened to Kaye when he was actually given the chance to prove something.

Think I've said it here in the past,but heck, if they really want to test things out, why not even try Fraser in that position? He was originally a CB and even played 1 game as a CB with TFC. A CB that can pass well too.

On 2/17/2020 at 7:44 PM, TOCanada115 said:

We basically know the answer already, but when do the Fifa rankings get updated, so we can officially see if El Salvador lost points against Iceland?

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/#CONCACAF

Official now. It was a training match. We gained about a third of a point, but now we round up instead of down. El Salvador haven't moved. :(

1 hour ago, BedBugs said:

We are now officially in "MUST WIN" territory, which is kind of weird considering that CONCACAF World Cup qualifying hasn't even officially started. If the CSA is really as cash-strapped as some on this board claim it is, then we must have a sell-out on March 27th to generate gate-revenue to play more friendlies before the June rankings come out. Was the expense of playing the 3 games in California really worth it? The March 31st really must be opened up to cash-paying supporters, even if we have to give Trinidad and Tobago half of the gate-receipts!

Literally all of this is wrong lol.

We're definitely not in "MUST WIN" territory. We still have the May and June windows to pick up points.

If we're anywhere close to El Salvador, the CSA will play friendlies in June, no matter the cost.

The California games were on neutral ground, so they didn't cost much and despite the loss to Iceland, I think everyone would agree they were worth it.

It would be nice, but no the March 31st game doesn't need to be opened up to the public.

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

1 minute ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Literally all of this is wrong lol.

We're definitely not in "MUST WIN" territory. We still have the May and June windows to pick up points.

If we're anywhere close to El Salvador, the CSA will play friendlies in June, no matter the cost.

The California games were on neutral ground, so they didn't cost much and despite the loss to Iceland, I think everyone would agree they were worth it.

It would be nice, but no the March 31st game doesn't need to be opened up the public.

I agree with with most of your points but there is no May window. 

El Salvador for whatever reason looks like they are going to play some games.

We may have take some big risks in June and maybe we are saving money for that.  

All games are really must win unless they are against high-ranked sides outside the window (which really would be a waste, in the end.)  A messed-up format and some key losses means there really are not friendlies for us these days.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I agree with with most of your points but there is no May window. 

El Salvador for whatever reason looks like they are going to play some games.

We may have take some big risks in June and maybe we are saving money for that.  

All games are really must win unless they are against high-ranked sides outside the window (which really would be a waste, in the end.)  A messed-up format and some key losses means there really are not friendlies for us these days.

We've talked about having an out of window camp in May.

• Admin locked this topic