The Road to Qatar.

Binky

14 minutes ago, Corazon said:

A little off topic and I'm sure it's already been mentioned on here before.  Our Pre-Gold Cup training match vs Trinidad & Tobago in June was a "training match"  Does anyone know how many points we would have earned if that was an "official" friendly?  

I am curious as to how much closer we would be to El Salvador.

Someone posted about this though saying we would have never been able to make that an official friendly because you can't hold official friendlies before the Gold Cup.

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

13 minutes ago, Corazon said:

A little off topic and I'm sure it's already been mentioned on here before.  Our Pre-Gold Cup training match vs Trinidad & Tobago in June was a "training match"  Does anyone know how many points we would have earned if that was an "official" friendly?  

I am curious as to how much closer we would be to El Salvador.

I had the same question the Olympique de Marseille educated me that we couldn’t play an international friendly in the same city that was  hosting a major CONCACAF tournament without their approval (to do with galvanizing revenue).  Therefore it wasn’t really the choice of Canada Soccer, given they had no idea a friendly was su important at that point (worth getting approval from CONCACAF for).

13 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Toronto has a sizeable Greek population. Might get a decent crowd,

The Greeks will likely not want to play a friendly on a partially frozen pitch (BMO) or on artificial turf (BC Place).  But if we had money and threw some in, it might talk a bit.

18 minutes ago, theaub said:

Mexico announced that they will play Greece (54) and the Czech Republic (45) in the US in March.

I think Greece could be an interesting opponent, as long we play them in Vancouver (or just not Toronto).

I think either team would be good to play, as long as it's before Mexico plays them, and in Vancouver. They won't be used to the turf! 

1 hour ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Someone posted about this though saying we would have never been able to make that an official friendly because you can't hold official friendlies before the Gold Cup.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I had the same question the Olympique de Marseille educated me that we couldn’t play an international friendly in the same city that was  hosting a major CONCACAF tournament without their approval (to do with galvanizing revenue).  Therefore it wasn’t really the choice of Canada Soccer, given they had no idea a friendly was su important at that point (worth getting approval from CONCACAF for).

Thank you both for enlightening me.

14 hours ago, saintjoes said:

Unfortunately El Salvador's national team Twitter is calling the game a "training match" (entrenamiento) and not the typical "friendly" (amistoso) :

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaSelecta_SLV/status/1217255967408173061

So, if it doesn't count for ranking points, does that mean we want El Salvador to win so that...

1. They regret the decision and feel bad.
2. They are emboldened to make sure their next friendlies are official, and then subsequently lose those games.

Or am I able to just not care about the result of the El Salvador vs Iceland game? I'm so confused.

14 hours ago, saintjoes said:

Unfortunately El Salvador's national team Twitter is calling the game a "training match" (entrenamiento) and not the typical "friendly" (amistoso) :

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaSelecta_SLV/status/1217255967408173061

Just calling it a "training match" doesn't mean anything though.

That's why we've been trying to figure out what are the actual stipulations of a "training match". Also if possible, finding a news source citing a confirmation from FIFA that the game will be excluded.

Where is that guy that knew about the Barbados friendlies a couple days before they were announced? Can he ask his source at Canada Soccer?

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

On 1/13/2020 at 6:26 AM, Kyle_The_Hill said:

I guess we'll have to see but it seems unlikely these nations will agree to "training matches". Iceland kind of got duped because it was initially supposed to be a official friendly but then changed to "training" at the last minute.

If the only difference is the number of subs allowed and FIFA ranking points available, I doubt they would care much if it was official or not.  It's only in the bizarro CONCACAF world where ranking points are so important.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, after another disappointing evening as a CMNT fan, where are we at now in relation to ES?   Does this entirely, fully end our hopes of overtaking them, or is there any sort of Hail Mary that is still viable?  

Asking for a friend.  

There was a 2% chance before the match of catching El Salvador now there’s a 1% chance.

in before “wElL AkShuaLLy iF wE BeAT FraNCe 4 TiMEs AnD ElSlvdR LosEs tWiCe to SuRinAme we’re In”!!

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, after another disappointing evening as a CMNT fan, where are we at now in relation to ES?   Does this entirely, fully end our hopes of overtaking them, or is there any sort of Hail Mary that is still viable?  

Asking for a friend.  

Ignore the person above making up statistics because they don't understand how math works.

We're 14 points back with 2 official windows (March and June), plus an out of window (May), plus another potential out of window (July).

If El Salvador does nothing in March, Herdman said Canada are looking to gain 10 points in March. A couple examples would be 2 wins over (Jamaica, Trinidad) or (Panama, Curacao). If we win those games we can beat some minnows in May and ride into June almost level with El Salvador.

However, El Salvador have said they're looking to play some mid level European nations in March and if those matches are for FIFA points, we can pass them in the March window quite comfortably.

image.png.57ef2aee959a46257bfc569dadb8cb3f.png

21 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

Ignore the person above making up statistics because they don't understand how math works.

We're 14 points back with 2 official windows (March and June), plus an out of window (May), plus another potential out of window (July).

If El Salvador does nothing in March, Herdman said Canada are looking to gain 10 points in March. A couple examples would be 2 wins over (Jamaica, Trinidad) or (Panama, Curacao). If we win those games we can beat some minnows in May and ride into June almost level with El Salvador.

However, El Salvador have said they're looking to play some mid level European nations in March and if those matches are for FIFA points, we can pass them in the March window quite comfortably.

image.png.57ef2aee959a46257bfc569dadb8cb3f.png

So basically beat 4 teams around our ranking for 20 points between March and June. That’s give us a 6 point lead and make ES have to at least play a couple games, which they’d probably be favoured in but hopefully they’d drop one of them or at least draw. Of course, there’s also the non FIFA windows too where we could hopefully play 3 games again to add points. Margin for error is basically 0 now though.

CMNT Depth for WCQ 2022: (Top 3 in each position, 4 for CB, 6 for CM) 

GK: Borjan, Crepeau, Pantemis

RB: Laryea, ZBG, Godinho

CB: Cornelius, Miller, James,  Didic

LB: Cordova, Adekugbe, Bassong, 

CM: Arfield, Kaye, Eustaquio, Piette, Fraser, Chapman

RM/RW: Hoilett, Brym, Millar

LM/LW: Davies, Osorio, Akindele

ST: David, Cavallini, Larin, Bair

Do you guys feel this is more or less our frontrunners for spots on the CMNT? 

Edited by TFC2017

11 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

It does not seem like Cordova is anywhere near the starter at left back. How many times has he been at a national team camp? 2?

20 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Love him or hate him, I expect Doneil Henry to be fully be there and I also expect Steven Vitoria to be included at least for the time being.  Probably see Kamal Miller move more to a LB role as he did vs the US in the fall.  Other than that, looks fairly accurate to me.

5 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

It does not seem like Cordova is anywhere near the starter at left back. How many times has he been at a national team camp? 2?

That is true, I feel he's playing at the highest level for any of our natural left backs though (Even though he's mainly used as a right back, he's often used as a left back for his club team as well). 

Thinking of the lower-seeded 7-35 side for a moment, it's too bad the intercontinental playoff matchups are still TBD. What a difference between the prospect of facing the 5th place South American country or New Zealand as your final hurdle to get to the World Cup. If it's the former, I would want to be in the Hex no matter what. If it's the latter, the 7-35 side looks fantastic.

Saint Kitts and Nevis + Suriname might be scheduling a few friendlies between now and July as one of them will end up in pot 1. They're currently separated by only 1 ranking point for that final seeded spot. If you wanted to be guaranteed in the first round not to play any of the 7 countries ranked ahead of you, it's worth fighting for. Apart from that and whether we catch El Salvador or not, the pots on the 7-35 side look pretty much set. If you're a lower-ranked country, there really isn't any incentive to try to get into pot 2 instead of 3, so I don't see a lot changing there.

Assuming things stayed the same as they are today, once you gave us, Curacao, Panama, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago, Antigua and Barbuda, Guatemala, and Saint Kitts and Nevis their own group, the FIFA ranking of the next 8 countries range from 141 to 168. Quite a drop. Not only would that be your closest competition ranking-wise in that initial group stage, but 5 of the 8 groups would also have 2 countries ranked even lower than that.

Edited by jtpc

On 1/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, TFC2017 said:

That is true, I feel he's playing at the highest level for any of our natural left backs though (Even though he's mainly used as a right back, he's often used as a left back for his club team as well). 

His name will be in the discussion no doubt. He has missed lots of camps to silly reasons out of his control rather than not getting calls. That said when he was called he wasnt really used.

I'd add Gutierrez to the LB list if he features for the caps. He will get minutes one way or another. 

Big year for a few Camadian players in the MLS to stake claims. Especially the younger players. Lots out there now that could come into national team thinking if they get opportunities and seize them.

• Admin locked this topic