Sign in to follow this  
Lofty

WWC France 2019 - Quarters, Semis, and Final

Posted (edited)

How the heck did France and USA end up in the same quarter? That is a shame but it is a fabulous match up. Still, I think it would be a big upset if France were to win.

Prediction: France 2 USA 3

England have been playing very well but did wobble a bit defensively just after HT vs. Cameroon. Norway will provide a stiff test but one that England should pass.

Prediction: 1-1 @ 90 mins, 2-1 England AET.

Germany should take care of Sweden fairly comfortably. Look for Alexandra Flopp to draw lots of fouls.

Prediction: Germany 2 Sweden 0

Italy are the surprise team of the tournament but I think the Netherlands (assuming they beat Japan) will be a step too far for them. Has the potential to be a close match though and by no means a foregone conclusion.

Prediction: Netherlands 2 Italy 1

Edited by Lofty
Added predictions, just for fun.

Posted (edited)

The wonderful tic tac toe passing we have seen from England in their earlier 4 matches not in evidence against Norway. Nevertheless, England creating good chances and up 2-0 at HT. England also making a lot of uncharacteristic give aways in midfield and while Norway are finding LOTS of space on the break, their first touch has let them down. England definitely controlling possession and carrying the play.

Edited by Lofty

As hard as Millie Bright is trying to ensure that Norway score, Steph Houghton is trying harder to ensure they don't. Houghton really is a tremendous player.

England need to find someone who can score a pen. Parris misses again so not her!

And we have our first semi-finalist. 3-0 in the end but Norway had a bunch of scoring chances in the second half, many of them gifted by England, and should have scored at least one and probably more.

My POTM: Steph Houghton.

In post match interview, England's manager Phil Neville says that Lucy Bronze is the best player in the world. He may be biased but today we saw her ROAST the Norwegian full back to set up the winner, and score an absolute rocket from 20 yards.

England's Ellen White now tied for the Golden Boot with 5 goals.

Posted (edited)

After USA scored early I thought perhaps the classic we had all hoped for would unfold but thus far that has not happened. It has been scrappy with lots of free kicks, no good chances, and USA restricted to long range efforts that have not tested the keeper. USA goal was a great example of how they attack the ball in numbers and cause havoc in the defence. Meghan Rapinoe now on 4 goals. The crowd have been subdued. 1-0 USA at HT.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Match finally delivered in the last 15 mins. USA had dropped into 532/541 to protect what they had at 1-0 but Rapinoe still managed to score her 5th of the tournament for 2-0. Then France pulled one back from a free kick and USA were rocking for a bit as France chased an equalizer. But it was not to be and USA saw it out comfortably in the last 5 mins. Rapinoe definitely a contender for player of the tournament along with England's Bronze and Houghton.

And we have our first semi: USA vs. England in Lyon. I'm calling it now: England to KO the favourites and advance to the final.

Edited by Lofty

Why did the referee stop play when the US player was down? France had the ball and was attacking. It took about 5 minutes for France to get going again. Even from replays and more angles it looked like a penalty for the French. Tabernac.

21 minutes ago, RickC said:

Why did the referee stop play when the US player was down? France had the ball and was attacking. It took about 5 minutes for France to get going again. Even from replays and more angles it looked like a penalty for the French. Tabernac.

If you are referring to the possible handball, it is not called if the arm is "close to the body". A judgement call certainly but I think that is why no pen was given.

I've been playing this game for over 40 years and never have I been so at a loss to understand why some calls are being made and others are not. I was just watching Chile vs.Columbia and I couldn't figure out why the first goal was disallowed (player was offside early in the play but never was involved, never touched the ball). A casual observer must think they're just making it up as they go along.

2 hours ago, rightback said:

I've been playing this game for over 40 years and never have I been so at a loss to understand why some calls are being made and others are not. I was just watching Chile vs.Columbia and I couldn't figure out why the first goal was disallowed (player was offside early in the play but never was involved, never touched the ball). A casual observer must think they're just making it up as they go along.

and the magic line is set by humans and we all know us humans are not  infallable.  The VAR has got to go!

Double header day. Italy vs. Netherlands and Germany vs. Sweden. I think the first match has the potential to be tasty, but the second one is likely to be business as usual for Germany. The action starts early!

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

Double header day. Italy vs. Netherlands and Germany vs. Sweden. I think the first match has the potential to be tasty, but the second one is likely to be business as usual for Germany. The action starts early!

It's going to be a hot one at the Stade du Hainaut. The game-time conditions in Valenciennes are expected to be 34°C and 35% humidity, which should favour Italy. I agree with your predictions. The Netherlands and Germany will join England and the USA in the semis.

And Sweden take out Germany 2-1. Quite an upset. Germany out of the Olympics now too since the best three European finishers at the WWC qualify from Europe. Canada's loss looking a bit better now.

Netherlands vs. Sweden in the other semi. Sorry Sweden, I'm going with the Netherlands but by all means prove me wrong again!

Posted (edited)

Predictions for the semis:

Prediction: USA 1 England 2

USA always very hard to beat but England have been finding a way to win every match and have mostly looked very good doing it. Have been monumentally lucky not to concede yet though and against the high powered USA attack that record will fall. USA have been finding a way too, but I get the feeling they don't think they can lose and that can lead to complacency. Meghan Rapinoe in her post match interview pretending she wasn't sure who they play in the semis was a great example of their arrogance!

Prediction: Netherlands 3 Sweden 1

I'm less invested in this match but surely Sweden have already over achieved enough. And the Netherlands have already shown they can win on the big stage so I think it ends here for long ball Sweden. Who would've thought that a hopeful punt up the pitch would have been the "quality" needed to set you on your way to a World Cup semi final?!

Ooh, ah, Miedema; Ooh ah Miedema!!

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Lofty said:

Predictions for the semis:

Prediction: USA 1 England 2

USA always very hard to beat but England have been finding a way to win every match and have mostly looked very good doing it. Have been monumentally lucky not to concede yet though and against the high powered USA attack that record will fall. USA have been finding a way too, but I get the feeling they don't think they can lose and that can lead to complacency. Meghan Rapinoe in her post match interview pretending she wasn't sure who they play in the semis was a great example of their arrogance!

Prediction: Netherlands 3 Sweden 1

I'm less invested in this match but surely Sweden have already over achieved enough. And the Netherlands have already shown they can win on the big stage so I think it ends here for long ball Sweden. Who would've thought that a hopeful punt up the pitch would have been the "quality" needed to set you on your way to a World Cup semi final?!

Ooh, ah, Miedema; Ooh ah Miedema!!

After a 0-0 draw the USA will edge England 5-4 in penalty shoot-out.

The Netherlands will cruise past Sweden 4-0.

15th min. 1-0 - Ooh, ah

17th min. 2-0 - Ooh , ah

46th min. 3-0 - Martens

88th min. 4-0 - Beerensteyn

Edited by Binky

Good write up on England's World Cup prep:

"And then we actually funnily did it before the Argentina game, and I did say, 'Oh it takes a lot for me to get into my red -- it's called from a psychological point of view.' And then I got put to the test against Argentina because there was probably trying to rattle us a little bit.

"It's actually in those moments in games like Cameroon, that you realize, that without those meetings, we may have had a completely different scenario."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/3890156/inside-englands-camp-meticulous-approach-paying-off-in-run-to-2019-fifa-womens-world-cup-semifinals

Posted (edited)

Rapino not starting for USA! They have a deep squad but this is not good news for USA fans.

I was really looking forward to Rapino vs. Bronze but at least we still have Morgan vs. Houghton.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

USA pile on the early pressure and are duly rewarded via a solid far post header from Press - the player in for Rapinoe! Ellen White replies for England with a beautiful glancing sidefoot that goes in high at the far post and takes her into the lead for the Golden Boot with 6 goals. But Morgan drifts behind Stokes to put the USA back in front and to regain her tie with White in the race for the Golden Boot.

This has the makings of a classic. The USA are irresistible going forward, having no trouble getting in crosses or winning headers when they come in or making space just outside the box to shoot on sight. But England hanging on and certainly creating chances of their own. 2-1 USA at HT. That was an entertaining half of football and the USA definitely deserve their lead.

Edited by Lofty