Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

Just now, SkuseisLoose said:

We’re playing good, there’s no chance we make a change at half except if someone gets injured walking down the tunnel.

Still too loose at the back and Hutchinson just isn't quick or strong enough to win a lot of the challenges and break up attacks in the way that we've seen Piette do for Canada. I don't think we'll see this change until later, but I'd be more comfortable if they did it.

What a half. Start was horrid, cheaply giving away possession, their aggressive press was causing a ton of issues. 

But then....wow. The amount of attacking talent on this team is ridiculous. We absolutely bossed them for long stretches. Player thoughts:

-Arfield is having the game of his life. The vision, the control of the midfield, the passing, just spectacular. 

-I thought Cavallini was really struggling at the start with a ton of cheap losses of possession, but what a calm, cool finish 1v1 with the keeper. 

-David, what can you say. All he does is score.

-Davies is getting by on athleticism today but has been quite reckless IMO. The tactical changes for the semi will be interesting, as a better squad could definitely exploit him at LB.

1 minute ago, ESG Shawn said:

-Davies is getting by on athleticism today but has been quite reckless IMO. The tactical changes for the semi will be interesting, as a better squad could definitely exploit him at LB.

I keep seeing this, but I can't really blame the player. The coaching staff should not be putting him in this position, literally and figuratively.

We stayed composed after a shaky first 15 but didnt really give up the chances.

Having clinical finishers is amazing, Davies so close off that free kick crossbar and we at 3-0

Massive props to that set piece, right off the training ground? 

Just don't get streeeeeeeeetched boys, as long as this doesn't become a track meet, we got this.

5 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

what should I expect as substitutions? I'm assuming Hutchinson for Piette. Morgan for Godinho maybe? And Cavallini for Larin? I have no idea.

No chance, I like Morgan but he's not coming in to play Right Back!

This is so fun to watch. Our passing and movement is the best I’ve ever seen from a Canadian team. We look like we could score a few more. We need to be a bit safer with the ball but Henry is looking so solid at the back. Here’s hoping he has fully recovered and can stay healthy for us.  

6 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

what should I expect as substitutions? I'm assuming Hutchinson for Piette. Morgan for Godinho maybe? And Cavallini for Larin? I have no idea.

I would only like to see the first one.  I can’t see Larin being effective in this game and Godinho has been solid. More issues at LB than RB. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would only like to see the first one.  I can’t see Larin being effective in this game and Godinho has been solid. More issues at LB than RB. 

Agreed, they attack us pretty hard early on the RB side first 10-15 mins, he has held his own.

9 minutes ago, gator said:

Good half after a slow start, this is far from over, they have speed and are coming at us in numbers, Davies has been scary in the back, not the best half for Hutch either, I thought Arfield was real solid!

Arfield is such a driving force in the middle of the park. He’s always available for the pass, great movement, looks to move the ball forward and break the lines. He has had a great half.