Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

14 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

Q. Does anyone now how to watch a replay of this game (Can-Haiti on Sat) once it has been played? Unfortunately, due to a family event I won't be able to watch it live. But, I'm going to put myself on news blackout and try to watch it later. I don't have any TSN accounts. Will CSA keep a stream somewhere?

TSN will have it available online and through their afterwards. The CSA won't archive it because they don't have the broadcast rights. Concacaf may archive it through their Concacaf Go app.

Just now, Alex said:

If you get tsn direct, (I have it) they have the games available to watch afterwards. For example I can still watch Canada vs Cuba on there. 

Being a cheapskate I'm looking for free.  I had TSNDirect for the world cup. Might have to sign up again...

Just checked CONCACAF GO.  They won't let me re-watch the Can-Cuba game because "it's not available in your country". Seems like they probably won't let me see it either.

In any case, thanks for the suggestions guys!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/gold-cup-quarterfinal-vs-haiti-exciting-affair-david-canada/

Preview ^ 

Also Tim & Sid briefly talked about the game tomorrow on their show. Sid said he be would absolutely triggered and heated if we lost and would go on a huge rant. Tim suggested Haiti was good no... being 3-0 and upset Costa Rica?.. Sid said I don't care we need to win. 

I like Sid, hope we do it and make the Semi's first time in 12 years.

I'm not sure who we start in this game. It's got to be the toughest one for Herdman to choose. Haiti are a good team and we'll have to play well to beat them, but at the same time this tournament is set up to have USA and Mexico win the semi finals based on their depth. Play the same starting 11 in the QFs and SFs and you will be too gassed to win the SFs. Herdman might try to flip the script and play a slightly weaker starting 11 in the QFs. I don't know if he will or not, but he just might risk the QFs to maximize our chances in the SFs. Hopefully Mexico take Costa Rica seriously enough that they play their best 11 in that game.

I really don't know who I would start. If I came up with a lineup 10 times I would probably have 10 different answers.

IMO we need to start our strongest 11, not save for the semis. We havent made the semis since 2007. Its very important we win this game. If we dont start our best 11 and by chance lose, there will be hell to pay. 

The boys are on 6 days rest. They can manage a quick turn around for mexico. Also keep in mind mexico has the later game against a tough opponent. 

Play to win this game with our best 11, worry about the mexico game once we get there, but dont set this lineup with one eye towards a semi final game against mexico. That could greatly backfire, Haiti is no pushover. 

Edited by king1010

26 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm not sure who we start in this game. It's got to be the toughest one for Herdman to choose. Haiti are a good team and we'll have to play well to beat them, but at the same time this tournament is set up to have USA and Mexico win the semi finals based on their depth. Play the same starting 11 in the QFs and SFs and you will be too gassed to win the SFs. Herdman might try to flip the script and play a slightly weaker starting 11 in the QFs. I don't know if he will or not, but he just might risk the QFs to maximize our chances in the SFs. Hopefully Mexico take Costa Rica seriously enough that they play their best 11 in that game.

I really don't know who I would start. If I came up with a lineup 10 times I would probably have 10 different answers.

No, no squad rotation for this one ... best available line-up.  Re-assess if / when we advance!  This isn't the time to roll dice; make no mistake, Haiti can burn us badly.

41 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Who knows, we could still be playing CR.😀

I was thinking the exact same thing. All of our scouting preparation for Costa Rica may not go to waste. 😀

Provided we get the job done tonight vs. Haiti (I think we will), how amazing would it be to still end up facing Costa Rica, just in the semis and not in the quarters.

I haven't the foggiest notion of the lineup Herdman will select either, but I think this is one game where we absolutely must start Piette in the destroyer role. His physicality and ability to read and break up attacks are just what is needed against a fast counterattacking team like Haiti.

No way we start anything but what Herdman sees as the best 11 for the job.

- If we make it through and get knocked out by Mexico in the SF’s, people would be disappointed but no one would be surprised and no one would rip into Herdman.

- If we go out tonight using our best 11, people will complain but we will get over it and grumble about the players.  

- But if we fail to advance because Herman left obvious starters on bench in a must-win match, people would be calling for his head - and rightly so. 

Simple self preservation suggests that we go all out tonight and worry about the rest later.  

I can't believe we are even talking rotation. Of course we are not going to rotate. Rotate for what? We specifically rotated in the group stage so that we wouldn't have to in the knockouts.

If Cavallini doesn't start, for example, it is because Herdman feels we can hurt Haiti more in a different configuration.

Patrice Bernier thinks we are going to see a frontline of Davies-David-Hoilett. I can see that happening, and if it does it's not because we are "saving" Cavallini for the next round.

Either way, big game today here lads. The biggest game thus far in the Herdman era. This match has banana peel written all over it. We must not underestimate Haiti.

I think I'll go with a 3-1 prediction, a scoreline that will flatter us. It will be a very tight game and we'll score the clincher on the counter (Davies) as they press for the equalizer in the second half 

Exactly ^ if one player comes out fresher going into Semi's it's simply a testament to our depth. It's not "squad rotation" for rest, it's simply who is the better match up against Haiti vs better matchup Mexico/Costa Rica, two very different countries. A rotation for being fresh is an added benefit but is more match up related then anything at this point. 

Here are the big "Herdman's choices" I will be watching. 

MaK injury status? And 3(MAK, Arfield, Piette) guys sitting on yellows.

4-3-3 I am hoping. 

Def

LB - MAK or Davies , plz not Teibert

CB - slim chance Hutch, hopefully not

RB - Godinho or ZBG

Mid 3

Piette/Hutch , MAK/Oso , think Arfield is a must start. Or does Herdman throw us all off and play Piette, Hutch, Arfield, without explaining the formation aspect too much, it could be a slight possibility. Especially if the mid 3 morph into a defensive triangle mid or offensive triangle mid at times. Hutch can obviously play CDM but he has also played higher up the pitch for us at times for us within the last year.

FWD - 3

Hoilett, David, Cav, Davies 

I am honestly confident in any of the above players selected, so will be interesting, it's going to be a great battle (literally). 

I think our subs will be 2 mids and 1 forward this game, we will need a massive effort from our midfield tonight.

Edited by apbsmith

15 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Lol are some people on here actually trying to have a conversation about resting certain players for the semis haha ! It’s do or die people win go on lose go home !  End of fucken story!

No theres only one person who suggested rotation. The story never started. Theres no1 trying to have a conversation. Rest easy. 

Edited by king1010

I'm expecting Hutchinson to start and to have a blinder for us.  He is well rested and this is a do or die for him in a Canada uniform - he has usually shown up in big moments.  Him, Arfield and Piette in midfield seems like a sensible choice against a counter attacking Haiti.  I expect something like this:

----------------Cavallini----------------

David--------------------------Hoilett

-------------Hutch--Arfield----------

--------------------Piette----------------

Davies--Cornelius-Henry-ZBG

-------------------Borjan------------------

4 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Anyone know if Luke Wileman will be back to commentate tonights game? Vic Rauter is painful to listen to.

I use to cringe, but now I just laugh. We watch to be entertained, right? Is there anything more entertaining than Vic Rauter trying to commentate on soccer?

Last game, I think it was, Canada shifted into a 4-4-2 and he says "Canada moves back into a 4-4.....". 

Did he forget to finish his sentence, or does he think 4-4 is an actual formation? You decide!

Either way, it is the magic of Vic. God love em.