Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You figured out what I meant but I just wonder what that would be like.  If there’s a chance they give just 99.9%, even if subconsciously, I think you sit them.  That’s a question for sport psychologists I suppose.

No way they give anything but 100% effort on the basis of some divided loyalty theory. They want Canada to win. Full stop. I am sure they would be happy for any Hatian success that does not come at the expense of Canada, but I am not in any way worried about the idea they may not go all out. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Okay, I’m glad that’s settled lol.  Just thinking myself that it would be tough mentally to play against the country you were born/raised in. 

Perhaps this is a question for Miki Cantave, Jems Geffrard, and Josue Duverger?

Or for that matter, Manjrekar James against Dominica, Scott Arfield against Scotland, .....

Or maybe since it happens all the time, it's not really a question after all?

On 6/25/2019 at 6:11 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Question: how does this matchup work for  our Haitian-Canadians in ZBG and David?  Both are young players so it could be a factor. Likewise, on their side they have a couple players who will likely feature and who are Canadians.

@CanadaFan123 I'm calling it now:

ZBG & David to each score an own-goal.

Jems Geffrard & Mikaël Cantave to each score an own-goal.

The game will be tied 2-2. Then Placide will get injured, Haiti will then sub on Josué Duverger who will then proceed to throw the ball into his own net, allowing Canada to win 3-2.

Yay!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I think our strongest lineup is similar as our last game with a few changes, ZBG in for Godinho, Hutch in for Piette, and possibly Kaye in for Osorio. That is the lineup I want against Mexico. I know we shouldn't be looking past anyone, but with an opportunity to actually win this thing and 2 games in 4 days I'm wondering what Herdman does. Is going to be tough to have the same starting 11 playing at 100% for both games.

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I think our strongest lineup is similar as our last game with a few changes, ZBG in for Godinho, Hutch in for Piette, and possibly Kaye in for Osorio. That is the lineup I want against Mexico. I know we shouldn't be looking past anyone, but with an opportunity to actually win this thing and 2 games in 4 days I'm wondering what Herdman does. Is going to be tough to have the same starting 11 playing at 100% for both games.

I dont think herdman is going to drop osorio but at the same time its tough to leave kaye on the bench. 

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I would have never thoguy Godinho would be starter with little playing time and just one cap but it would seem like he is the favourite.

Lots of back and forth on our RB starter but I don't think there is a huge difference between either at this point (Godinho or ZBG), so I'll trust whoever Herdman puts out there.

With not a huge gap between the two, maybe Herdman might be thinking ahead to Mexico, and is confident in Godinho vs Haiti and confident with ZBG vs Mexico. Once we switched to a 4-3-3 vs Mexico , ZBG looked fine.

Godinho has looked great going forward, sure he has had few defensive hiccups, but overall has looked solid. Just hoping there are minimal to no defensive hiccups in the KO round. Haiti could bury the chances Martinique and Cuba missed. 

Depth is a great thing, confident in both our RB's at this point.

Edited by apbsmith

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Lots of back and forth on our RB starter but I don't think there is a huge difference between either at this point (Godinho or ZBG), so I'll trust whoever Herdman puts out there.

With not a huge gap between the two, maybe Herdman might be thinking ahead to Mexico, and is confident in Godinho vs Haiti and confident with ZBG vs Mexico. Once we switched to a 4-3-3 vs Mexico , ZBG looked fine.

Godinho has looked great going forward, sure he has had few defensive hiccups, but overall has looked solid. Just hoping there are minimal to no defensive hiccups in the KO round. Haiti could bury the chances Martinique and Cuba missed. 

ZBG would’ve played one game up to that point. If Herdman rates him ahead of Godinho he’ll start on Saturday, if not then Godinho will start the rest of the tournament most likely. And I’d have to agree with him as Godinho would’ve played 3 games to that point compared to ZBG where he would’ve only played 1.

57 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

ZBG would’ve played one game up to that point. If Herdman rates him ahead of Godinho he’ll start on Saturday, if not then Godinho will start the rest of the tournament most likely. And I’d have to agree with him as Godinho would’ve played 3 games to that point compared to ZBG where he would’ve only played 1.

Fair enough, I said might because I was only suggesting it as a possibility based on the situation, but we will see.

If the game was 5-7 days apart I 100% agree with you, whoever starts Saturday plays rest of tourny.

In an interview before either the Mexico game or before the tourny, I remember him saying with onĺy 48-72 hours of actual rest between QFs & Semis there was a good chance it would not be the same starting 11 in both games (qf&semis).   Obviously take that with a grain of salt.

I thought it might be a possibility to see ZBG vs Mexico even if Godinho plays Saturday., Since ZBG played against Mexico already and I personally rate him a stronger 1v1 defender. Again,  way ahead of myself cause we need to get past Haiti first obviously, and Mexico win also, but was commenting on 2 slightly different starting 11's which someone mentioned above. 

Under 48 hours!

Edited by apbsmith

4 hours ago, apbsmith said:

For me it's been our most concerning position, besides maybe LB. I think Godinho has looked average to poor, and thought ZBG was quite poor in his outing as well. As you mentioned, neither had played much for their clubs either.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Haiti attack our RB side, regardless of who we have there.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

For me it's been our most concerning position, besides maybe LB. I think Godinho has looked average to poor, and thought ZBG was quite poor in his outing as well. As you mentioned, neither had played much for their clubs either.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Haiti attack our RB side, regardless of who we have there.

Fair enough but we've conceded 3 goals this tourny, a cross from the LB position that wasn't cleared by the CB, an own goal from the LB, and a CB miss clearance that led to a Cuadardo stunner.... 

I do agree with you and I think most everyone on here as well, that our backline is our weakest. I still have faith in the young guys at the back, we will see how they hold up in the KO round.

My prefferred formation and back 4 vs Haiti is ZBG,Henry,Cornelius,Davies in a 4-3-3. I think those 4 are strong enough, athletic enough and fast enough to hold Haiti in check.... we will all know soon enough.... the convo kind of steered towards starting 11 in qfs & Semis, but we should save that convo until post game.

1 more sleep.

Edited by apbsmith

Q. Does anyone now how to watch a replay of this game (Can-Haiti on Sat) once it has been played? Unfortunately, due to a family event I won't be able to watch it live. But, I'm going to put myself on news blackout and try to watch it later. I don't have any TSN accounts. Will CSA keep a stream somewhere?