apbsmith

Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

14 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

How many of you guys watched what Kristian Jack had to say at the end of the TSN telecast ? If you didn’t try and find his post game comments he made in the TSN studio after the game , he was spot on.

100% I've been a 3/4 fan of his  for a while, but now I am a HUGE fan of his, respect. 

Man the Sid rant on Tim & Sid Monday will be painful to watch from a CSA perspective. He is nowhere near as knowledgeable as KJ but as a casual footy fan, it's prolly gonna be a pretty wild rant.

Posted (edited)

We should have won yes this is not your fathers Haiti they seem to be much improved. However, apart from a few players on Haiti Canada on paper had the higher level players and they were up 2-0 going into that second half . I’m still trying to figure out what happened I’m still in shock , what the hell happened my long weekend is ruined  lol  and I’m serious that’s the sad part !

Edited by SoccMan

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Leland Olson said:

Sorry for piling on. Don't normally post but I can't stop myself. Agree fully with those that say Herdman needs fired. Clearly out of his depth - naive tactics and player selection - he froze like a div 5 striker with an open net. Unsure why anyone would defend him after this display. If it were a lower division player that cost us a tournament we would be demanding that he never be called up again. Well think about it - Herdman head coaching experience is literally U15 level. Our players, whom O am proud of by the way, deserve infinitely better. 

(Voyageurs Disclaimer: not having a go at you, your post was just a convenient one to quote for making my point.) Because it was just one match. And disappoining as that was, the matches that went before were pretty good. The bigger picture is that when we are in the top 4 in CONCACAF we will have the right to expect to be in the Gold Cup semis; and we haven't been there for a long time and that isn't Herdman's fault. Oh, and let's not forget about Hondurass' Gold Cup!! That is a definite bright spot!

Second guessing substitutions is absolutely the favourite sport of all footy fans. As a QPR fan I can tell you that every manager we have ever had has been an absolutely clueless twat when it comes to substitutions and I can also tell you that MANY QPR fans agree with me. Which is why we have fired them all and are now top of the Prem!

(Maintaining delusion is absolutely the second favourite sport of all footy fans!)

Edited by Lofty

51 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I am 23. I have watched failures from 2010 qualifying on. I thought today would be the start of something new. I was 12 when I started watching failures. 

I don’t blame anyone but I accept we we will always hurt me.

I feel for you Fullback.  At least I got to see 86, the wave in Mexico, support the original Fury in WPG, cheer on Bunbury, Forrest, Radz, Pesch, Stalteri and DeVos, win some coin tosses and the gold cup.  But this one really was a kick in the nuts.  8-1 was bad, but i half expected it to go bad.  Maybe I got sucked into the TED talk baloney, but I thought we had a shot at doing ok in the semis, maybe if a break went our way etc.  Never dreamed they would implode against Haiti.   But we had the talent to beat them, and the wheels completely fell off.  Where was all the culture change and the impecable preparation.  We have several really good offensive players, and that is about all that separates this cup from many others through the years.  I guess you can cling to that...Davies, David, they'll still be around for 3-4 more kicks at the can.  

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

I am 23. I have watched failures from 2010 qualifying on. I thought today would be the start of something new. I was 12 when I started watching failures. 

I don’t blame anyone but I accept we we will always hurt me.

12 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Well, that was not at all how I thought my first Voyageurs viewing party in Toronto would go.

Not deterred though as a new CanMNT fan. I'll be at BMO for the 2 Nations League home matches, so hopefully we see some improvement to our back line between now and then.

Well, stick with it and about once every 25 years you're rewarded with something great.  And everything in between is....that. 

Haiti's team was actually slightly younger than ours as youngest of the tournament.

Just sped through the second half on VAR, it's like Haiti scored on every opportunity they had......two of which were gift-wrapped to them mind you which always helps. The margins are fine though when you get to this level, two horrible mistakes like that can sink any team. Borjan's contribution to this is disappointing because you can't blame his contribution to that first goal down to youth and it's the second time this year he's done it. No more back passes to him please unless it's an emergency.

33 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope this team uses this to get angry and kick the crap out of the Americans in the Nations League. Don't feel sorry, get angry!

This. 

Glad we get an opportunity to play the US twice, but not thrilled we get Cuba again... tonight shows that this young team needs as much experience as they can get against decent Concacaf competition.

I guess better for something like this to happen now than during WCQ....But so gutted and disappointed right now.

44 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope this team uses this to get angry and kick the crap out of the Americans in the Nations League. Don't feel sorry, get angry!

Absolutely! If we can do that we will be brilliant!

Nice to see Osorio pick up Godinho after the game. I would like to see us try Laryea at right back though, had another great game there for TFC today setting up a goal. And Liam Fraser appears to have had a good game playing centre back, of note

We played one game in 2019 going into the GC, two if you count the training match. that's unnaceptable.  This group of guys, especially defensively, needed as much game time as possbile to gel and figure out systems. Herdman and the CSA are a ******* joke.

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t get how we don’t call a single proper left back why not call one over someone like okello. Even Brett Levis would have been better than no one like we had. I don’t know if De Jong has retired from the national team but when he becomes healthy again I hope he’s called.

We did, his name is Ashton Morgan, he should have started this match, he may not be a starter at TFC but he is vastly experienced and showed last season in the CCL he can play against tough opponents!

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

How many of you guys watched what Kristian Jack had to say at the end of the TSN telecast ? If you didn’t try and find his post game comments he made in the TSN studio after the game , he was spot on.

Is there a link for his comments? What did he say?

43 minutes ago, gator said:

We did, his name is Ashton Morgan, he should have started this match, he may not be a starter at TFC but he is vastly experienced and showed last season in the CCL he can play against tough opponents!

Completely forgot about him funnily enough considering the role he played today. I still think we should’ve had multiple options there that weren’t just makeshift left backs.

This one really hurt. Props to you guys who support the team vigorously every game, I don't know how you do it.

2 hours ago, jtpc said:

Well, that was not at all how I thought my first Voyageurs viewing party in Toronto would go.

Not deterred though as a new CanMNT fan. I'll be at BMO for the 2 Nations League home matches, so hopefully we see some improvement to our back line between now and then.

I would just like to point out that in the time I've been watching Canada I've put on 40 pounds and lost most of my hair.

There, see!  Something else to look forward besides Nations League.