Gold Cup QFs - June 29th 2019 - Canada vs Haiti

apbsmith

11 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Herdman didn't cause that idiotic first goal for Haiti.  That's on the players.
Herdman didn't cause the pk.  I'm guessing Godinho didn't even know the 2nd player was there.  That's the only logical explanation I have for that attempted clearance.

Except Herdman left a more athletic, faster, stronger defender who developed his 1v1 defending and positional traits with Lyon for 6 years in ZBG on the bench. Our other RB plays in Chile 1st division regularly and Cordova was not even called up!

I hate critizing a player but almost every attack from Haiti started from them attacking us to our RB side, likely from scouting us from the Cuba & Martinique games where we got exposed but were lucky not to have conceded.

I don't know if Herdman's was saving ZBG for Mexico 2.0 ( which is not smart) or he just rates Godinho higher, but Godinho lack of playing time and not even making Hearts 18 showed. Godinho will be fine long term, but before the tourny I thought he should be in our U23 OLYMPIC team not our CMNT and def not the #1. 

That selection is on Herdman, I'm sorry.

Canada could not recover mentally after the first Haitian goal. The team should work more in that aspect. On the other hand, having pulled out Cavallini  wasn't very smart, when a goal was needed.

Canada has a good team, excellent players but Herman does not inspire confidence. I see him very attached to the CSA. No friendlies when more cohesive the team needs to be. 

Edited by xabuep2

6 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Except Herdman left a more athletic, faster, stronger defender who developed his 1v1 defending and positional traits with Lyon for 6 years in ZBG on the bench. Our other RB plays in Chile 1st division regularly and Cordova was not even called up!

I hate critizing a player but almost every attack from Haiti started from them attacking us to our RB side, likely from scouting us from the Cuba & Martinique games where we got exposed but were lucky not to have conceded.

That selection is on Herdman, I'm sorry.

This

Edited by hamiltonfan

13 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Until we prove it on the pitch I pay zero attention to the rhetoric. Half the posters here already has us as #2 in CONCACAF - we haven’t beaten ANYONE. Full stop. 

I had Canada at 3 (not much better) just a shocking collapse tonight....

I get thinking Herdman wasn’t on the pitch and didn’t direct the players to make the errors on the pitch, but that is too simplistic a view for me.

Herdman made the player selections, and put the players in the position to fail. Rather than make adjustments, he watched as it all fell apart. You could see the Haitians were targeting Godinho. They saw they could create a mismatch and exploited it. Herdman never reacted to that threat and we were punished for it. 

What did Herdman say at halftime? Despite being up 2-0 we were very bad in our third with the ball, a good coach would have addressed this and the first goal against us wouldn't have happened. As others have pointed out, Godinho was being targeted and there were no tactical/personnel changes to address this. Very frustrating.

This board is spot on.

This result will absolutely humble Herdman.  I was a Zambrano supporter but I have since moved on - and losing is okay but the decisions tonight were bizarre.

I am not posting anything new - and agree the tourney brought many positives with ball movement and offensive flair ...

But ...

We did not adjust to them attacking our right flank, and others were right - Piette should have been subbed in after half and focused on smart defensive play ...

People who shared about Cordova are correct ...

The lack of friendlies to build a defensive cohesiveness are correct ...

Taking out Cavallini and putting in Morgan was absurd ...

And Osorio sub was unnecessary ...

I feel bad for Milan - its possible the kick to the head in the first half may have had some negative effect (could it have been mild concussion??)

37 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

All the talk of progress and hope for the future...then this. 

Lol, minor hiccup, everything will be fine. 

I put this in the same category as Belgium just failing to qualify for EURO 2012, a young promising, up and coming team that just needed to learn a harsh lesson or two before they actually turned into a force.

34 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I was amped to watch the double header, now IDGAF.

Truer words cannot be said.

33 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Until we prove it on the pitch I pay zero attention to the rhetoric. Half the posters here already has us as #2 in CONCACAF - we haven’t beaten ANYONE. Full stop. 

Do you actually intricately watch the sport or is it just entertainment? An excuse to have a few drinks with your mates maybe? Do you see the intricate passing, the composure, technical ability on display, the level of play? Or did you not even watch the game and just saw the score? I ask because if you don't see the clear progression in our national team, I don't know what to say to you.

Yes, we lost, so what? We showed we were the much better team but two defensive blunders brought the opposition back into it, nothing more. I am more than pleased with the progress we have made so far and it's only going to get better.

We have barely scratched the surface here people. We're just getting started.

Let's try again in September with the Nation's league.

Edited by Macksam

I thought Borjan was horrific (hopefully not concussed).

Atiba, unfortunately, was bad.

Godinho, while I don't blame him for the first goal, the penalty can't happen. 

David was great when he got service.

Cavallini struggled but he's still a threat. Should never have been subbed for Morgan. What an absolute joke. 

Arfield was incredible in the first half. Maybe the best performance from any player in the tournament. Second half was not good though. 

Davies had flashes of brilliance. I don't hate him at wing back, but he needs more time. And her shouldn't be playing there in knockout games yet. 

Osorio was fantastic and that sub cost us the game 100%. He's a general on the field. He's last 8th of the pitch is the only reason he's not in a better league but that doesn't matter when you're already winning. 

Kaye was atrocious. Not his fault. Shouldn't have played.

Edited by Hawkguy

Maybe I will feel better tomorrow about this Gold Cup but despite all of the positive attacking play albeit mostly against minnows, my concerns about Herdman are greater than ever! He was terrible in his tactics and player selection today, I hope Cav isn't as pissed as some said, I'm still upset at the way this all played out!

11 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I put this in the same category as Belgium just failing to qualify for EURO 2012, a young promising, up and coming team that just needed to learn a harsh lesson or two before they actually turned into a force.

Do you actually intricately watch the sport or is it just entertainment? An excuse to have a few drinks with your mates maybe? Do you see the intricate passing, the composure, technical ability on display, the level of play? Or did you not even watch the game and just saw the score? I ask because if you don't see the clear progression in our national team, I don't know what to say to you.

Yes, we lost, so what? We showed we were the much better team but two defensive blunders brought the opposition back into, nothing more. I am more than pleased with the progress we have made so far and it's only going to get better.

Your post might be the only reason I might actually fall asleep tonight. 

Thank you

Edited by apbsmith

21 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Yes, we lost, so what? We showed we were the much better team but two defensive blunders brought the opposition back into it, nothing more. I am more than pleased with the progress we have made so far and it's only going to get better.

You speak with the same defeatist attitude that every Voyageur has stated after a loss.  We’re still drawing straws out of every loss.  We were in control and the coach didn’t adjust in the half and we collapsed.  Any other coach in the world would’ve been sacked but here we’re give the coach another 2-4 years to work.  Nothing ever changes for Canada and nothing ever will.  Some of us hoped we can turn the page but we’re still stuck in the late 90’s mindset.

4 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

You speak with the same defeatist attitude that every Voyageur has stated after a loss.  We’re still drawing straws out of every loss.  We were in control and the coach didn’t adjust in the half and we collapsed.  Any other coach in the world would’ve been sacked but here we’re give the coach another 2-4 years to work.  Nothing ever changes for Canada and nothing ever will.  Some of us hoped we can turn the page but we’re still stuck in the late 90’s mindset.

Your take seems extreme to me. This Canada looked and felt and competed notably differently than teams this past decade. Results were similar but play was better. Beyond that, Herdman has 1 tournament under his belt - a tournament where we broke our scoring records and were 45 minutes away from our best placement in 12 years. 

Did we collapse? Yes. Did Herdman contribute to that? Sure. But is he solely reaponsible and should be canned? Lol calm yourself.

6 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

While I do agree with some of your post you only have to read more of this thread to see not even Voyageur is ok with this loss in fact many of us are very concerned!

At the end of the day: we are who we thought we were.   Increasingly dangerous up front, but very fragile at the back.

Herdman proved today that he is out of his depth.  Maybe someday he'll eventually be competent, but he's clearly not there yet!  His substitutions in the second half were stupid, and he didn't even bother to use the third one available when his team desperately needed him to.